Thread: Rules about shooting near pipeline?

Default Rules about shooting near pipeline?

I'm may be buying some property near the pipeline soon to build a hunting cabin on (about 1.5 miles from the pipeline, according to the real estate agent) and I couldn't find anything in the regs for that GMU that mentioned any restrictions around the pipeline. I'm sure there is some kind of rule about firing in the vicinity of the pipeline, though maybe not at 1.5 miles away. Does anyone know where I might be able to find the info?

I'd like to be able to hunt on the property, but figured I should make sure it's legal first.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Your fine at that distance.

The access road that the pipe is next to carries the same prohibitions as any roadway for hunting (can't shoot from, on, or across). If you get into the details of the Federal ROW agreement, you are not supposed to shoot at all (hunting or not) within the ROW (300' each side of the pipe) itself.

If you should shoot from any distance and your bullet hits the pipe or anything related to the pipeline, that is a violation of Federal law. So use due care when hunting in the area.

Also, if you are going to be on the pipe ROW or access roads at all, you'll want to contact Alyeska and get yourself a RUG (ROW Use Guidelines). You can get this document issued at any Security post.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

My back yard borders on the pipeline right of way. We have hunted there since the 60s. Nothing changed for us when the pipeline went in. Pipe is buried here. I asked one of the Aleyaska guys one day, because we do ride snowmachines in both directions and hunt there as well. His reply, "Just don't do something stupid, like shooting the pipe or supports". Have been checked by the chopper twice in over 30 years. Told them who I was and what I was doing. They told me to have a good time, and not to shoot the pipeline.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Thanks for the info, looks like I have nothing to worry about so long as I use common sense. now I just need to wait to hear back from the Real estate agent whether my offer has been accepted.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

BUTTTTTTTTTTTT ! if you do shoot it and make a spill... you can spend 11 years in jail... and then say it was too long and get laughed at...but that is another thread
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

LOL, sounds like there's a story behind that.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    LOL, sounds like there's a story behind that.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n25090978/

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/20/us...-shooting.html

here is one with pics.. never mind the global warming vid ontop scroll down

http://www.solcomhouse.com/trans.htm

Dingle berry was on the news the other evening appealing his sentance. and was sent back to jail..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Talking a little humor at the end of a sick story

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    here is one with pics.. never mind the global warming vid ontop scroll down

http://www.solcomhouse.com/trans.htm
    As sick as that story describes, I busted out laughing when I saw this google-ad at the very bottom of that page:

Google-ads is SMART

funny I think,it would be alot better for him not to be in jail.Give him a job doing something so he can help pay for what he did.Puting him in jail just gives him more.Now we just pay for what he did and him to live.

Charles

I kind of agree. "Let the punishment fit the crime". Force him to work along the pipeline without pay for X amount of time. He should be fed and housed, under supervision and should have to work to maintain the structure he damaged.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Hmm:
    It was my understanding that only Archers were allowed to hunt along the Pipeline corridor, and NOT gun hunters.

Maybe that applied to only a portion of the pipeline, though.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

That is only the Dalton Highway corridor (the top half of the line). The southern half of the line has no such restriction. Just look at the map in the game regs to see the 5-mile bow zone.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

OK, JOAT:

Thanks

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.