Thread: Want to Black tail deer hunt

Default Want to Black tail deer hunt

Hey all,

I just read through several threads about sitka deer. I have lived in Fairbanks (area), Alaska now for 9 years and have never thought about doing a deer hunt. A friend of mine mentioned to my wife that he was doing a hunt and I missed out on that opportunity.

I would really like to do a sitka deer hunt. I would also like to do it fairly inexpensively so that its worth the trip. Any suggestions on the best way to set up a deer hunt? When your a solo guy with not many fellow hunters that go that route. Most of my friends are moose or bou hunters.

Thanks in advance for any advice I can get...

Default seasons

Welcome to the forum and it's cool your showing some interest in Alaska's deer. They are a treasured game animal despite their small stature.

I've put my boat away for the year and I'm done hunting. The bucks right now are lean and trying to recover for the long winter. The does are a better target and provide good table fare.

Since your in Fairbanks you'll need to travel to either POW,Kodiak, PWS, or SE. Thats alot of country! The same rules apply as up north, access, access, access. All of this locations have unique access challenges.

Probably the most important decision you should make is if you want to climb or not. If you want to do a boat based hunt like we've seen here you'll need to make some friends. If you want to climb you'll have to get in good shape. The climbing season is August-October for deer. Although some folks are getting good at using the road system on POW to get deer.

Have fun with the logistics and let us know where you decide to go.

I agree with Bighorn. It all depends on what experience you want. If you want to shoot several deer for the meat, without a whole lot of physical exertion, a Kodiak beach hunt is for you later in the season.

If you want to use a call to call deer in, I'd suggest a Nov POW or Kodiak hunt. It's very exciting. POW can be rather wet though.

If glassing, camping, and long hikes are your thing, I'd suggest a late Aug/Early Sept hunt on POW. Lots of mountains and they all have bucks on them. Alpine hunting at it's finest. You'll earn those bucks and it's a world class experience, IMO.

Personally, I'll take backpack Alpine hunting. I love it.

Well I actually wouldn't mind more than one of those experiences. For my first time out I think I would prob prefer to do a beach hunt just to get some meat in the freezer. But I would also love to do an alpine hunt as that sounds both beautiful and rewarding as Alaska is truly the most scenic and breathtaking place I have ever been.

And btw, thank you for the welcome Bighorse. I have lived in Alaska for 9 years but was military for the first 6. I havent been able to really start hunting until I got out. I took my first moose in 08, only a 41 incher but I sure wasn't complaining. He was a magnificent animal, one that I was blessed to take and fed my family well. Next up on my list is Deer, Bou, Bear and not necessarily in that order.

Default Blacktails

If you could round up a few friends, a Nov. trip to Kodiak would be nice. If there were 3-4 of you to share the plane charter that would help. It would be tough to do a cheap blacktail hunt based out of Fairbanks. If you lived in SE you could do one. Deer hunting on Kodiak is some of the most enjoyable hunting there is. I think the meat is the best wild game I have had....including dall sheep.

Yeah the more I think about it, I think that is exactly what I am gonna plan on... Kodiak sounds like a great hunt. I am fairly certain I can get at least 1 guy, probably a second to come down with me. 3 wouldnt be too bad cost wise prob.

Any ideas on a good charter service to get us from anchorage out? Or if there is another location that is even cheaper to fly from like homer or whatever we can drive there no prob. Gas in a car is cheap split 3 ways.

Default Go strait

Head to Kodiak via AK airlines. Then charter your plane.

You mean you want to miss out on all the thick brush and rainforest of SE? Muskegs are great for getting your legs in shape. We've got the best forest obstacle courses know to man. Think of it.......all with a fat pack on your back.

Honestly with some good planning and a solid pilot you could find yourself here in SE high above the trees at the edge of an alpine lake hunting and enjoying life too. All of the locations I listed above are magnificent. I hope you have the pleasure of hunting all of them in your life.

The best deal going for Alaskan hunters is the Alaska air mileage plan! If you are a responsible credit card user then you can travel around the state to numerous viliages for FREE!!

I've got myself 27k miles as we speak but I have been very cautious not to jump into spending those to hastily.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf0994 View Post
    I've got myself 27k miles as we speak but I have been very cautious not to jump into spending those to hastily.
    Thats 3K away from a round-trip for two to anywhere in the state!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Thats 3K away from a round-trip for two to anywhere in the state!
    Jon, I believe instate travel is 15k for round trip.

I used my airline miles to get my son and I to Kodiak. About $1000 for the flight with Seahawk Air and $200 for the two nights of hotels at each end (@ Shelikof Lodge) and another $200 for dinner, breakfast, another $200 for shipping etc.. Two guys should be able to fly in and hunter for under $1000 each. You get three bags for free on instate travel @50#. That should be enough for gear. I like the alpine August hunts.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Jon, I believe instate travel is 15k for round trip.
    Correct. Funny thing is its 15K to get from Anchorage to Kodiak round trip, but looking at taking my unlce in oregon to Kodiak next fall and its 25K from Portland RT, so only 10K from portland to anchorage RT....not to shabby.

Quote Originally Posted by chinookee2004 View Post
    I think the meat is the best wild game I have had....including dall sheep.
    Wow, that's quite a statement. I love Dall Sheep meat. I guess I need to get a Sitka Black Tail or two.

I've had Texas deer and they're poor. It's to hot to hand and the processors want to package it up the same day, no storage space.

You guys are lucky up there...

Default Haines ferry

If you have the time you can always drive to Haines and catch the ferry to some decent Deer hunting.