Thread: New Here, just want to say HI

Default New Here, just want to say HI

Names Paul moved up here from Virginia. Obviously a bow hunter else I wouldn't be in this forum. Anyway

HI

welcome to AK Paul!

Dan

hi Paul welcome I live near Soldotna that is 2-1/2 hrs drive south on the Kenai Peninsula from Anchorage. Tell us alittle about yourself? what type bow do you shoot.? how long have you been in Alaska? Hopefully you got here late summer last so you will be legal to hunt as resident this coming year.

again WELCOME Pat
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Whereabouts in VA? I spent some time at Langley. Still have friends in VA Beach and Chesapeake.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I lived in Falls Church for the last 7 years; right off of Lee Highway. I know the Langley are pretty well

Quote Originally Posted by AK NIMROD View Post
    hi Paul welcome I live near Soldotna that is 2-1/2 hrs drive south on the Kenai Peninsula from Anchorage. Tell us alittle about yourself? what type bow do you shoot.? how long have you been in Alaska? Hopefully you got here late summer last so you will be legal to hunt as resident this coming year.

again WELCOME Pat

Well after being a Cop in Northern Utah for a couple of years I joined the Army and have lived in Fayetteville N.C. and Northern Virginia for the last 10 years. I left Active duty in 2008 after a couple of tours in the two way shootin range (Iraq). I went into the National Guard here in AK over on Ft. Rich. I took a job up here last March with the Federal Gov't as a Customs and Border Protection Officer (not Border Patrol) at the Airport.

I shoot a Diamond Marquis and my broadhead choice so far is the NAP Blood-runner, the G5 Montec and Striker Magnum. I have been practicing over at "Back Country Archery" in Anchorage for the last month or two. See I am fairly new to Bow Hunting but I love to shoot my bow, so I can be found over there from at least once week; although I just went to swing shift so I might only get over there on my days off.

I should be able to hunt next season as a Resident as of Mar 2010. However; my friend bought me a 2010 non-resident license a few weeks ago. I was told by ADF&G that they will just make a notation in March that I am a resident and issue me a resident license.

Anyway I am planning on doing a Spring Black Bear hunt and a Fall Moose hunt both with a Bow. I have a few areas planned out, for the Moose I am headed up near Eagle and for the Black Bear I am trying to decide on the area around Skilak lake or just north of Sutton. Any advice would be great.

Anyway that was probably more than a "little" about myself. Glad to bbe here!! I am loving Alaska right now!!

Quote Originally Posted by wog9f13 View Post
    I lived in Falls Church for the last 7 years; right off of Lee Highway. I know the Langley are pretty well
    Saw David Allen Coe there once. lol. Good times.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

What did you do in Langley?

Quote Originally Posted by wog9f13 View Post
    What did you do in Langley?
    Stationed there in the AF. Mobile Comm troop.

Check your PM's

that is great you have been here long enough to be able to hunt this spring. i have spring bear plans as well bait station in PWS. maybe one here on the peninsula. lots of bear activity last spring at mine on pen. curtteback got 213- pix first 5 days then 297 while i was at work for two weeks and barrel was probably empty before first week was out.we shot one average size bear end of June. really did not hunt it much only 2-3 days tough area to access and spent alot of time getting jet boat unstuck.

WELCOME -PAT
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Well I am looking forward to setting up a bait station here in the early spring. Maybe at the start or just before break-up. I know there will still be snow on the ground but I want it there as things start to kick off.

Welcome to the forum.

PAUL - either i'm more senile than i thought or you have done a user name change? easier to remember!....... MERRY CHRISTMAS

PAT

Quote Originally Posted by AK NIMROD View Post
    PAUL - either i'm more senile than i thought or you have done a user name change? easier to remember!....... MERRY CHRISTMAS

PAT
    Crud,

I totally forgot to put that out there. I did do a user name change. I am now AK-Sniper.

I needed something better than a very old nickname
    Diamond Marquis