Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good set of polaroid glasses?

Default Good set of polaroid glasses?

was wondering what glasses you guys use for jet boating?....i am slowely getting too brave in the waters i do not see in!!...any brand names of your personal favorites would be great!! thanks larry

I had a pair of Maui Jim's a while back and absolutely loved them (yay). Unfortunately...I also lost them (boo).

i use NYX Sport glasses . not cheap but i have 3 sets of interchangeable lenses for different light conditions. nice looking, light weigh for jet boating and bowfishing they are great.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Try Haber sunglasses. Like Nimrod said these are not cheap either. They are well thought out designs though and I like the fact that they are also impact resistant safety glasses. www.habervision.com

thanks guys, well, this sounds a litlle more complicated then i thought!!...is there a colored lense that will be "ok" in most conditions, or is it good to have a few diffenert lenses as condtions warrent?....i know i got caught last summer, going up river was fine, sun at my backl(well, not bad, i just had normal glasses on), then on the return i was blind as a bat, the shine/glare off the water was very bad, the water just looked like a shiny sheet!!.....i found myself in the wrong channel, but managed to get through it...i have set my budget at about $200 approx, so want to get what works! ....i read a book on jet boating and the author stated that a GOOD pair of polaroid glasses is THE most important piece of equipment you MUST have!...that is why i am asking!!...thanks for all the ideas!!. larry

native sunglasses

Smith makes some great classes as well. I have pair, can't remember the model off hand, that tints with the changing light conditions so they work not only in full light but in overcast conditions. They also have reflective lenses which further reduces glare and are glass lenses. They are fantastic glasses for fishing and boating. I paid full price as I was in a pinch, and they were $140. You can find them quite a bit cheaper online.

Whatever you get, make sure you get glass lenses. The clarity of glass is far superior to that of plastic. I have some cheaper plastic Smiths for just wearing around. Their fine but scratch up easily and are no where near as clear and crisp. I rarely wear them since I bought the polarized glass lenses.

Natives you can find them at Sportmans they come with 3 differant color lens. Great buy for 80 dollars.

Default Ditto on the Smith Optics...

can't read the model on the stem of mine any longer, worn off! They have a copper photocromatic lense that adjusts to the light, glass lenses, black or tortiseshell frames in my model, it is a "guidewear" or something like that, mine were about $160 4 years ago. Great in all light and glare conditions, and the copper tint is a much happier tint than grey, makes the world and everyone you see beautiful, well the fairer sex anyway...but you still see pretty true color and can spot fish and ROCKS great underwater!

Smith will repair or replace lifetime if a lens ever falls out or other problem. I had that happen with my first pair, sent them back (Logan UT I think...) and had a brand new pair in about a week.

thanks for all the info!...am on the right track now! larry

I use HaberVision but then again, I am a friend of Haber. If you get these, use this code: FISHEYE and you can get 50% off. Also, try the ski goggles for boating, especially in an open boat and on foggy days. The optic orange lets you see better, and the goggles protect your eyes more since they are totally enclosed on the sides. When you get where you are going switch over to sunglasses.

Quote Originally Posted by bcriverhunter View Post
    was wondering what glasses you guys use for jet boating?....i am slowely getting too brave in the waters i do not see in!!...any brand names of your personal favorites would be great!! thanks larry
    you want polaroid glasses to take pictures with?
    Semper Fi!

I have used both Maui Jim and Costa Del Mar. I can highly recommend both. Check out their web sites and they will have descriptions of their lens colors and which colors they recommend for different conditions. My Maui Jim's had neutral grey lenses, and my Costa's have a grey lens with a blue mirrored finish. I prefer grey lenses because they don't distort colors, and believe they work well under many different light conditions.

As patrickL said, I also prefer glass lenses over polycarbonate. The only polycarbonate lenses I've had scratched very easily despite having an anti-scratch finish. No matter how well you try to take care of them, plastic lenses will scratch. Also, be sure to try them on! Internet pricing may be better than a local purchase, but there's no way to be sure they fit well without putting them on your head. A good fit is easily as important as what color the lenses are or who the manufacturer is. Almost any good sunglass company makes decent sunglasses for your application.

Have fun shopping!

Chris

I've been a Native sunglasses fan for years due to the fact that I'm somewhat rough with my shades. Lens scratches or frame cracks? Send them back with a $30 check and they send you a brand new pair. I've taken advantage of that several times, excellent warrantee program.

NATIVES!!! Ditto to what everyone else has to say about them.

I'm on the water (hard and soft) all year long and the first thing I grab before I head out are my Costa Del Mar's. Great glasses, great warranty.

you guys are making my choice VERY HARD!!..decisions, decisions!!!....so far the natives(10, 18&60 light tranns)..but i still have a bit of time!......thanks again larry

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/d/1...unglasses.html

The lighter lenses work better for me. I dislike slate or grey lenses.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default A sunglass "chum" story....

So, you gotta have a "chum" or whatever you wanna call the strap that hooks to the sunglasses stems and lets you hang them on you neck instead of leaving them on the counter in the tackle store etc....but

It's still not a perfect system. Hang them around your neck with the glasses on your chest when you have breakfast = big blob of egg yolk on the lens when you put them on after. So....my sons just put their glasses on their head or mostly on their hat on top of their head when they eat. We're in Valdez, boat is broken down, been working on it all day, so we go to dinner, and I try their method, just slip the glasses to the top of my head, have a great dinner and decide to stroll the harbor and look at boats for ideas on the new boat I'm probably gonna need. Walking along the docks, suddenly my head itches real bad, glasses still up on the hat as it is getting dark....so I snatch that hat off for a good scratch, hear a "bloop" and see the glasses doing the twirly as they sink in the harbor! Crap....get a halibut rod off my boat, it's what's handy, big double treble jig on it, and I'm pulling that big 9 oz jig back and forth between the dock and the boat where my sunglasses sunk....got a laugh out of it though from the tourists that seriously asked if I was catching anything!

Anyway, when you make your decision, I'm sure it will be a good one and put a strap/chum on your new glasses and DON"T put them up on your hat

Default The guys just plain WRONG!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bcriverhunter View Post
    ....i read a book on jet boating and the author stated that a GOOD pair of polaroid glasses is THE most important piece of equipment you MUST have!...that is why i am asking!!...thanks for all the ideas!!. larry
    Why that author is just plain wrong!!!!

You need at least 3 pairs! One for bright sun, one for overcast conditions, one for in between.

I have used several pairs of Maui Jims, Costa Del Mars, and Ocean Waves, Sheydons, and lots of Serengeti's. It seems everytime the suns angle changes, its worth trying a slightly different tint. Sometimes its worth it just to change up the game for your eyes. None-the-less, a good pair of medium tint will most likely work as well as any of them. Wrap arounds are a must to keep any sand from blowing in your eyes, either from the wind onthe adjacent bars, or from folks tracking it on your bow and having it get picked up by your forward speed. Decent airflow characteristics are a must, so they wont fog in the rain or moisture. I wear mine in the full rain too, just use lots of that anit fog solution and a good cloth to keep them clean with from time to time. We used to buy a pair for each of our guides every spring. It was interesting which they'd pick, seems like the Ocean Waves and Maui Jims were the most commonly picked, in either the rose color, blue, or that medium copper. I have to admit I find myself more often than not wearing the Maui's in that copper/brown color (medium tint, best compromise for being relaxing for the eyes in the direct sunlight yet enhancing acuity in the shadowy areas and on less than full sun days. The orange/yellow tints are great on rainy and overcast days, but hurt my eyes on a bright day. My second most common pick is the Maui's in that rose/vermillion tint. Comfortable frames are a must, and they've got to stick to your head in the wind when you're running 40mph... good ones are way too expensive to let the wind blow them off your face! Sometimes I even like to change things up a bit and use some non-polarized if I'm running long enough that my eyes feel like I"m starting to get "tunnel vision" I love the Serengeti Drivers for a mid price range option.

If you watch Sierratradingpost.com you'll occasionally find a great buy on the Costa Del Mars.

Good luck in the midst of confusion!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast