Thread: Christesen Arms Owners

Default Christesen Arms Owners

What do you think about these guns,are the barrels too light?How do they shoot?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coues32 View Post
    What do you think about these guns,are the barrels too light?How do they shoot?

Thanks
    I've got a Christensen Arms built 7mm STW with a straight taper 27" barrel on a Model 70 action (Jewell Trigger) in a HS Precision stock. I'd have to look through some paperwork but it was put together by John Mogle and and the boys 8 years ago or so and at the time they were very clear it was a Select Match grade Shilen insert in their carbon fiber wrap. I would do things differently if I were starting over, but the barrel has been a great performer and it is an excellent rifle.

I currently have a Bushnell 4200 4-16X40 and all together with 3 rounds and a sling the rifle weighs just a tad under 9 pounds. That is very light with a Model 70 CRF, a 17 ounce scope, steel bases and rings, steel bottom metal and a 27 inch tube. At the time I wanted a dedicated LR rifle I could carry with relative ease on the tundra, specifically I had caribou in mind. If I were doing this again I would almost certainly use a different stock, but I am pleased with everything else and can recommend Christensen Arms barrels. Whether or not they are worth the $ is another question.

Reporting accuracy can become so much worthless drivel; suffice it to say that the accuracy and quality is commensurate with the price IMO. I chose the Carbon Fiber wrap because IME it is difficult to get the kind of accuracy and durability out of a steel barrel (at 27") that is light enough to make the weight I had in mind and I think the Carbon Fiber was worth it, YMMV.

What didn't you like about the HS stock?

Default HS Stocks

HS Stocks are heavy. Christensen makes a nice lightweight stock. I don't own one, but have seen some rifles built using their barrels and stocks, and they just plain shoot. I agree you can argue the cost benefits, etc., but for a lightweight purpose built rifle that can shoot, they seem to fit the bill.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    What didn't you like about the HS stock?
    There are actually several things about the HS stock that do not appeal to me in this application. The Christensen Arms barrel contour demands a lot of room in the barrel channel to inlet the straight taper barrel. This limited me to a BR style stock from HS with a wide flat bottom fore end. It is a great feeling stock in my hands, but it is a painful beast to carry on a sling across my back especially on a snow go. The aluminum chassis/bedding block also adds unnecessary weight IMO (as does my steel bottom metal, bases and rings) and though it shoots great, I am not convinced it is the best bedding system. I would almost certainly choose an MPI stock if I were to do this again and save another 8-12 oz. in the process. So I guess I am saying I do not really like the way it carries, it looks or is designed. I am confident that all users of HS stocks are not going to share my sentiments, but those are my issues.

Plus hs uses the man that shot Vicky Weaver as a spokeman for there sniper rifles

I bought one back in August, it's a 300RUM. The rifle is a Titanium version with a break and a trigger job.

The previous owner was very disappointed with the rifle. He sent it back and had a Shilen match barrel installed with their carbon fiber propitiatory wrap.

I was at the range when he was shooting it and his groups were all over the place with Federal Premium ammo, he was very frustrated. He had an other stock fitted and bedded in one last attempt to make this thing shoot.

After he got it back it was still horrible. He tried two other brands of ammo and the results were still poor. I asked if I could take three shots to see if I could group the rifle, no luck there.

He broke down and bought a Sendero II in 300RUM for an up coming elk hunt. Thinking I could make this thing work I offered to buy the rifle for a grand without his optics, he countered. I was concerned about it's poor results, we settled on $1200. Once it was mine I installed a donor scope and removed the break, it shot perfect but it was a hard kicker.

I sent the barrel to Vais and described all the issues that I had noticed. Ron trued the end of the barrel with the bore and re-cut the treads to fit a new Vais break. The Christensen Arms break was pure crap. Not only was it installed crooked it looked as if it was hogged out by hand with a drimmel tool. The bullet was touching the break on exit causing the issues.

Now that the problems have been solved this is a very accurate rifle. Groups are an honest 1" at 300 yards of the bench with a good rest and my hand loads. I've worked up a load with IMR7828sc and Berger 175gr VLD's. I installed a Leupold VX-III 4.5-14X50LR with a B&C recital, nice match for this round.

I highly recommend Ron and his breaks. http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/Default.aspx

Needless to say I'm a very happy owner of a new light weight rifle for about thirty cents on the dollar.

Marshall, is your RUM built on a 700 action?

Default Scumbag and traitor

I WILL NEVER FORGET - no matter what he sells or even gives away I won't do business with them! He sold out his soul and any sense of moral direction for a few bucks. When we called his hand on it he never even issued a sincere and direct apology. Like Comrade Jane we don't need people like that in America and esp. in the shooting game.

I have no use for people like that or people that do business with them after knowing what he did.

Catch me in person and I'll tell you how I realy feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Plus hs uses the man that shot Vicky Weaver as a spokeman for there sniper rifles
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Marshall, is your RUM built on a 700 action?

Yes, the Remington Titanium action. It's a great shooter now. Once the original break was removed it shot perfect. I had the Vais break installed once the misalignment was repaired to reduce recoil.

When you part of the "in" crowd, your boys will have your back. Good ole Lon Horiuchi - American Hero.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

if you have a donor action why not just get the barrel made for your rifle & caliber you want....for the most part they're a rem 700 action, most of the ones you see at sportsmans have a cheap sps stock on them for 1600.00....on sale 1300.00 once in a while. there's another company that does that fiber wraping barrels also, i've heard better thing about them than christensen....if your looking for something custom you might be better finding a good smith to reduce the weight on your rifle & put a good mpi or lone wolf stock on it.

Thanks for the input,still deciding on what way to go for a new build.

Do you know who the other company is doing carbon wraps?

You might want to check out Bettin Custom Guns, he carbon wraps Satern cut rifled barrels. I can vouch for Todd's work, IMO much higher quality workmanship and accuracy in his finished products than you will ever find with Christensen Arms. http://bettincustomguns.com/

Another hint, do your homework and check around a few of the other hunting/shooting forums and you will generally find a low opinion of Christensen Arms.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII