Thread: Winter fly tying.

Default Winter fly tying.

How many of you are tying flies to pass the time until we can hit the rivers? Here in MN fly fishing stops for the most part unless you want to target 10" trout. I have most of my flies tied up for my trip to AK this summer. I am new to tying but its been a lot of fun. Next its time to tie up my Halibut rigs. My question is what are your favorite colors for sockeye on the Kenai and the Russian?

kg, there is winter steelies no far from you!!!

I've started some tying. Working on bows and trying to get my ice auger tuned up is taking up most of my spare time right now.

My favorite flies for reds.............anything that is legal Dude reds are plankton eaters, so they dont bite. Most salmon really slow down when they hit fresh water. Reds on the other hand never do bite, whether in the salt or not, unless your pullin dollys through spawning reds
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

Well I won't say that reds never bite... as I think holding, unpressured fish can be convinced to grab a fly from time to time... but it really doesn't matter for lining reds on the Kenai or Russian.

I'd say my favorite color for flipping is green. Just because. I like green.

Sometimes when fishing the upper Russian for reds with my 5 wt I'll go with smaller (size 8, for example) orange flies and pick up a bonus rainbow or two.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

I've had reds hammer stuff...including the jumbo spin and glows...**** near ripped the rod of out my hands. to say I was suprised it was a red and not a king was an understatement!

Tradbow
    I used to fish steel on the north shore but they were almost gone. You could still fish them but you could not keep any. That did not bother me as i never kept any back then. I just could not see messing with the few fish that were left. Now they are starting to come back so i may go back at it. Its REALLY hard to fish them in the winter with all the snow and ice.

KG, fish the brule!!! I wont say more. WI brule!!!

Tradbow
    I hear you there i just hate to drive that far to fish when i can fish close to home and bring back some fish for the pan. I love to fish perch in the winter. Thow in some slab crappies and a few walleyes and i am good to go! Some many fish and critters to chase and so little time!

KG,

I know what you mean. I fished the brule a couple of times while I was home in the spring chasing turkeys. Got a really good buddy in Duluth that has that river dialed. Sounded like a LOT of BIG fish this fall. Unfortunatly I spent all my time chasing deer. I've never fall fished the brule but I've heard it's much better then the spring.

Amen to perch eyes and papermouths.....but if you want to bend a rod, I'd make that drive every weekend!!! Where are you located?

I live in St. Cloud so its a drive to get there. Spring is time for me to get the boat out, Go smelting, Chase turkeys, chase crappies right before and after ice out, get ready for walleye opener, chase walleyes, chase some trout in some lakes around here then get ready for Alaska. I am coming up in July again this year. So many animals and fish to chase there isnt time to do it all. Tradbow do you make it down to the Kenai often?

I had a buddy who graditated at st cloud, we grew up together. He had found some big trout in that area. I dont know where, I'll have to drop him a line and get some details. He lives in brecknridge co now as a postal work, now is that a dream job or what LOL! snowboard all winter, chasing the snowbunnies, fish and hunt all summer and fall...sheesh.

I do get down there..not as much as I used to. That's changing. Took a new job lots of time off and more money woot woot! I take it you're coming up for reds? If so maybe I'll FINALLY drag my raft down and float it. Last few years things have been a bit tough to pull off other then my trips home. I'll be back that way apr 20 to may 11...chasing turkeys whereever and I'm hitting the brule again this year. My fam is in the cities which is a bit farther then st cloud I think?!?! Regardless we'll have to hook up somewhere while I'm back.

Tradbow
    A hook up is in order. To bad the walleye season is not open yet or i would take you on a walleye mission!

isnt eyes open on the rivers? for some reason I thought my buddy in Duluth was chasing them around a tthat time. We were thinking a trip to lake Peppin...my bud who graditated st cloud is coming home from CO at the same time. We'll definatly be making a day chasing steelies on the brule!

Yes you can fish walleyes on the river but i would NOT eat fish out of the river. To me its like fishing in a cespool LOL. The river stinks and that does it for me. the redwing , Stillwater area is HUGE for walleye fishing that time of year. The only place its open then are the border waters.

Quote Originally Posted by muzzyman87 View Post
    Dude reds are plankton eaters, so they dont bite.
    awww...here we go!

He's fishing up by duluth...

heck for that matter early spring the trout are catchable off shore in duluth also... He took us (my old man and I) to the hatchery...I stuck one and managed to bust off having a knarled mess of line in the water LOL! oops. The steelies north of there were no where to be found. Smelt were everywhere though lol.

I may put in for 3 more days..gotta see how much leave I'll have. I'll likely have to take a few days of lwop whats 3 more (12 hour shifts) LOL! Hey that'll give me over another week home and some time to chase eyes again hmmmmmmmm......I'll keep ya posted.

Default re:

In the last year and particularly after my article, "Thoughts on Winter Fly Tying" in the winter issue of the North American Carp Angler magazine, I received some emails asking me about my Carp Carrot. It was one of my "Five Proven Carp Catchers" in the article. I contributed it in a Carp Anglers Group Carp fly exchange and also contributed it some time ago it in a pinned thread of the CAG Fly Rod forum. I tie it with some variations but it is essentially the same fly. People asked how to dress it and how to fish it.

I have experimented with different body colors, materials, thread, and different ways of weighting the fly. I've tried several colors including red, black, and green for the body. I've also tried natural pheasant rump. The different body colors don't seem to work as well as the original orange.