Thread: Noise canceling headphones for Sportjet?

Default Noise canceling headphones for Sportjet?

Has anyone tried a pair of Bose or other noise canceling headphones in order to negate the noise of a Mercury Sportjet 200 engine? My engine seems to have a rhythmic strumming sound to it when I wear regular shooter muffs. I am wondering how a noise canceling headset would work. Or is the engine just too loud for NC headphones to work? What is your experience?

I work as a heavy equipment operator and the bose one's are the only way to go. I haven't used then tho one my sport jet. I will have to get it a try.

Some buddies of mine have used them on their bowpickers, worked great but don't don't like moisture. Have you tried the electronic shooters muffs? they might be more weather resistant.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

have you taken any steps to quiet your boat down?...if not, i wonder if you could quiet down the boat enough so your regular shooter muffs would work....after I quieted mine down I could chat with my buddy without yelling while cruising at 4900RPM
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I've got a Phantom Sportjon. What did you do to quiet down your boat? I've read mixed reviews on the effectiveness of such action.

I wear shooter muffs now. Works for me. My wife was wondering about noise canceling headphones for her. I was just seeing what other's experience was with them before laying out any $$$.

My copilot and I each have a set and they worked wonderfully running down the Yukon last year for hours on end in a Sportjon/200 opti. I would highly receommend them.

My hunting partner and I have been talking about this. He has his pilots license and enjoy's aviation headsets so we started looking around for something similar to use on the river. Has anyone seen these? Curious to see how, and if, they work.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Default Or if money isn't a significant concern...

I found this set-up and think it just may do the trick! Scroll down the page for more information - looks like you can have 2-5 people on your own system; if you so desire!
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

we went to Northern Lights Aveonics (SP) in Anchorage and got a temp set up this past summer. We do not have BOSE for we wished to try it first before spending the $, and even the lessor of types of head sets work great. I do recomend getting a push to talk type otherwise the wind will go through your mic. We hope to upgrade this winter and have a perminit system installed. In short they work good, noise is blocked, you can play your MP3 through them and have a conversation. Only set back is they are not water proof. Hope this helps. Also we have a SJX and the simple ear plug also works just fine for us although we could not hear tunes

ANR works for low frequencies, not high ones. Passive attenuating headsets would probably be the better choice for total noise reduction. If you really want aviation type ANR sets look at Lightspeed Zulus. They have Ipod and cell phone audio sockets built in and their high frequency protection is way better than Bose.

Default Peltor

I use the wireless noise canceling Peltor com headsets for both on board and boat to boat communication. I have had them for 3 years now. They work good all in all. I am running a 150HP outboard. My buddy runs a 150 e-tec, and the third boat is a 502 inboard.
    I like the wireless aspect. Even though there is no room in my boat cabin on my long Yukon trips to move around, I seemed to always find a way to catch the wires on my old set up.
    I like being able to use the onboard com with my partner. It makes it easier to talk. The VOX does not seem to work that well, so normally I just to PTT. There are options built in to set them up the way you want by scrolling through a menu.
    Boat to boat is not great being that I am surrounded by aluminum, but it still works. I'd say I can talk to a boat that is about 1/2 to 3/4 mile behind me fairly clearly. (I like to sing to them, so they try to get back just as far as they can.) If we have 3 boats, we leapfrog if the front and rear boats can't hear each other.
    It it difficult at times to see the boats behind me because of spray and wet or dirty boat curtains. It is nice to know when somebody has to stop for whatever reason.
    Battery life is ok. In a 16 hour trip they get changed out 1 time.
    I can't think of anything the headsets are bad at. My ears get sore around the edges after wearing them all day, but that could happen with most headsets. I know my David Clarks did the same thing when I was flying.
    A built in com system w/ antennae to transmit boat to boat would likely be a better system, but I see disadvantages too.
    This past year we hit rough water. We had one boat lose some load and they had a guy out side the cabin. I put my guy out w/ rescue gear and we stood by. I was able to communicate w/ my partner, the captain of the other boat, and his crew. I felt really good about having those headsets at that moment

Quote Originally Posted by dimrod View Post
    I've got a Phantom Sportjon. What did you do to quiet down your boat? I've read mixed reviews on the effectiveness of such action.
    I've heard mixed reviews also...but in my case, the difference was pretty significant ...and I have no doubt that if you do the same that you'll certainly notice an improvement....for me I went from shouting to talk to my buddies to talking just a little bit above normal....

basically just close up all of your gaps...I noticed the most benefit from covering that crack between the floor and the side of the boat....i literally just picked up the 1/2" grey foam weather stripping with the sticky back and laid it in the crack...$5 and 15 minutes of work to lose a few decibels was well worth it.....it was as if the sound was traveling under the floor and coming out along the whole side of my boat, almost acting like a big speaker...

floor cracks with weatherstripping

foam in doghouse, don't forget the weather stripping on the bottom...this was the day i replaced the year old weather stripping..still looked/worked pretty well after 100+ hours in one summer....im not sure on the doghouse foam though....not sure if it really helped all that much but I'd consider doing it again....

sealed the rear access panels with aluminum backed with more weatherstripping

i plugged these large holes with large pieces of foam padding

hope that helps...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Thanks for posting. You offered some great points to consider and the photo's helped out allot. Happy Holidays!

This is what I bought and they work great! I only have 2 headsets but someday will get 2 more. This is great because they are battery operated and you can plug an ipod into the receiver and listen to tunes! It is set up to lower the volume of music when talking into the headset. Nothing permanently mounted to the boat and comes in and out. I don't use this for quick trips around town but anything over a half hour run, I will bring it. 2- 9V batteries can last almost 12-15 hours run time.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ompackages.php
    "One Last Cast"