Thread: Intrested in trying hard water.

Default Intrested in trying hard water.

I have always wanted to try ice fishing but have not had the opportunity until now. Is there anywhere that will rent gear for a day so I can try it out before I commit a ton of money? Or do any guides offer an ice fishing trip. I don't want to buy the equipment just so it will gather dust next to my guitar and my wife's pilates equipment. This is my first year in AK so I don't have all of the toys yet (snow machine). So I have to be able to drive to locales. Any suggestions?

There are free ice fishing derbys you can go to where they provide everything for you and dig the holes too ! What more could you want to try it out?

Where are ya located?

Ya I saw the one here at Jewell lake. Unfortunately I work weekends so the derbys are not on the right days for me. I live in Anchorage but have been eying more of the valley lakes to target.

Three rivers in the valley used to rent augers for the day you may check with them.

Brain, are you Military?

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!
    You will end up spending thousands of $$$$$$ and praying for ice all summer long!!!!
    You will end up doing things like going out shopping for Christmas gifts and coming home with a crap load of goodies for you and nothing for them!!!!
    Trust me I know!!!!!

Drifter speaks the truth on this one! I grew up ice fishing and can't let go of it, not that I want to or have tried. Great way to get outdoors in the winter and some fresh fish is nice.

Drifter, big spoon = big laker! Love the big spoons for lakers and char.

What are you looking to fish for?
    For years I just walked or drove around and looked for open holes. I am sure after a warm weekend you could go to mirror lake or any of the other popular places and knock out an old hole. Then you just need a spool of fishing line and what ever hooks, bait, or luers you would like.