Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marlin 336 .35 Remington

Default Marlin 336 .35 Remington

Just inherited a Marlin 336 in 35 Reminton from my brother's father-in-law. He was a sweet guy and I miss him. We always talked shooting, and so in the end I got his guns. My question, the 200gr Core-Lokt rounds I got with this rifle, are they good against black bear? What is the effective range, 150 yards?

And in general, what's the scoop with the Marlin 336? I've heard only good things. Strong rifle? Good rifle? Thanks.

Default yup

those will be fine for blackies, or even moose. I'd keep it to 100-125 yards for most efficient performance. The 336 is an excellent lever gun, stronger than the standard 94 Winchester, being a solid frame action.

The 336 is a great gun. Some folks hotrod the 35 Remington wildly over factory ballistics along the lines that the 45-70 is pumped. While I think the 35 Remington is underloaded in light of the early guns in the caliber, I'm not willing to push the round as far as some. Judgment call, but I'm a reloading conservative and there are lots of liberals out there.

The Remington 200 grain CorLokt is my favorite factory load, and yeah, it's dandy for blackies. My personal limit for shooting the round used to be around 100 yards, until I started shooting game further with scoped Contenders in 35 Remington and 357 Herret. Haven't got around to shooting game at 150 with my 336 and its peep sights, but if you can put the bullet where it belongs, I know from the scoped Contender that it will do the job.

In handloads I actually prefer the Speer 220 flat nose for a little more whop and a little flatter trajectory. it's built stronger than the CorLokt and tends to penetrate more, to boot. Don't overlook the potential of the 35 Remington with cast bullets either. Mine is accurate as a cobra with the Lyman 200 grain FNGC, and cast with Lyman #2 alloy, those bullets have taken a lot of deer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    those will be fine for blackies, or even moose. I'd keep it to 100-125 yards for most efficient performance. The 336 is an excellent lever gun, stronger than the standard 94 Winchester, being a solid frame action.
    That's great to hear. ~100yds it will be. Sounds like I just inheretied a good camp rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    The 336 is a great gun. Some folks hotrod the 35 Remington wildly over factory ballistics along the lines that the 45-70 is pumped. While I think the 35 Remington is underloaded in light of the early guns in the caliber, I'm not willing to push the round as far as some. Judgment call, but I'm a reloading conservative and there are lots of liberals out there.

The Remington 200 grain CorLokt is my favorite factory load, and yeah, it's dandy for blackies. My personal limit for shooting the round used to be around 100 yards, until I started shooting game further with scoped Contenders in 35 Remington and 357 Herret. Haven't got around to shooting game at 150 with my 336 and its peep sights, but if you can put the bullet where it belongs, I know from the scoped Contender that it will do the job.

In handloads I actually prefer the Speer 220 flat nose for a little more whop and a little flatter trajectory. it's built stronger than the CorLokt and tends to penetrate more, to boot. Don't overlook the potential of the 35 Remington with cast bullets either. Mine is accurate as a cobra with the Lyman 200 grain FNGC, and cast with Lyman #2 alloy, those bullets have taken a lot of deer for me.
    Thanks for the load details. I'm getting excited. She definitely sounds like a keeper. I'm going to have to find out when she was built. I think the late '60s or early '70s.

Thanks for the excellent responses guys. Much appreciated.

Default Excellent rifle and cartridge

There is a warm place in my heart for Marlin 336's chambered in 35 Rem. It is an excellent Deer and black bear rifle for use in the timber. Like BB I like the 220gr speer for the 35. You should be able to get suprising accuracy out of that rifle as well if it is in good shape.

I will have to pick up another 35 one of these days as mine was stolen a few weeks ago. If any of you guys see a 336 converted to straight grip, cut to 17" and ported, with WWG ghost ring and big loop let me know, I'd love to have it back.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I will have to pick up another 35 one of these days as mine was stolen a few weeks ago. If any of you guys see a 336 converted to straight grip, cut to 17" and ported, with WWG ghost ring and big loop let me know, I'd love to have it back.
    That really is bad news. I've been reading about your posts concerning this rifle and thought it should prove to be a near ideal timber gun. You guys at WWGs have had a rough time with thieves these last few weeks. Rest assured if I come across your rifle (or the HK) I'll let you know, but I doubt it will make out here. Getting here is too much work and expense for a lazy thief.

For the scoop on Marlins, chack in here.
    http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php
    WARNING! Marlin lever guns are addictive!

I'd love to have a short 35 Rem to go with my 450 Guide Gun. I think Marlin made a factory Guide Gun style 35 Rem called the "Maurader".
    One of these days I may have one like the Kid described built. With the right bullets I think they are fine for moose & anything smaller out to at least 150yds, probably closer to 200.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default 35 rem

I have one of these rifle in the safe, it is a real nice gun to have around. Very light to carry and get behind in short notice. 200 to 220 grain are the choice rounds out to about 150yard tops.
    I am sure there will be someone out there which will say they can hit targets out to 250 yds. The round has a ark like a rainbow but when it hits it will slap'em hard. You can't go wrong with this round or the marlin it is a proven all around rifle.
    Sorry for your loss. but it sounds like the rifle was left to the right person that will respect and honor it for the future.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Ive been looking for one of these for sale locally for a while now. They are nice handy rifles. My family back east has used the 35 to kill quite a few black bear and deer in heavy cover. The cartridge just has a neat appeal to me. I beleive you'd be hard pressed to find a better bear over bait rifle, or a general canoe gun.

For those of you running the Spper 220, what powder you using?

I've been using mostly RL-7 in recent years, but before that I relied on IMR-3031. Both are good, but the RL-7 flows better in a measure.

This page has some 35 cal bullet tests.
    http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...n+bullet+tests
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Sorry for your loss...what a great guy to leave that memory to you.

I've had a 336 for my entire shooting life left to me by my grandfather and I've owned several others. The .35 Rem is a great woods cartridge and like several other cartridges of its day it kills all out of proprtion to its meager "paper ballistics". Like BB said- some folks try to hot rod the cartridge but I think the factory stuff works pretty well.

A lot of hotter load data appears to be targeted at the single shot/ bolt action pistol crowd and while fine in a bolt action it might have sticky extraction in a lever gun. I've never been a fan of hot rod ammo in a lever gun with its weaker primary extraction (I'll caveat that by excluding the 45-70 which is ridiculously underloaded in factory rounds out of deferrence to the Trapdoor Springfield).\

Good hunting with that piece of machinery!

Thanks everybody for the condolences and the great recommendations concerning the Marlin 336 and .35 Remington. My appreciation is heartfelt.

The .35 Rem is like the 30-30, One of the greatest all time loads. Where poeple run in to trouble is because people try and use them for what they are not made for. They are not 400yrd guns. They are however OUTSTANDING close range guns. For moose on down a .35 is a great round within the range it is made for. Personaly i will always have a soft spot in my heart for the .35 Rem. In the woods it is a joy to carry and are not lacking in killing power!

Moose too?! Impressive! Picking the rifle up along with some others (including an HK USP 9mm) on Tuesday. Hope all goes well as I'm going to have to deal with the NYPD!

RGL01 - Sorry for your loss. You got a fine rifle there. I haven't owned a 336 yet, but I'm very happy with my 1895M.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Thanks AKsoldier. And you keep your head down and your rifle up over there, you hear? God be with you.

Tell me, would anyone know whether Marlin would retrofit this rifle with a crossbolt safety? I'm sort of a "manual safety" kind of guy. I like my sidearms and rifles to have on/off switches. One of the big take home lessons I took to heart from Mas Ayoob.

Default Not a CHANCE!

Quote Originally Posted by RGL01 View Post
    Thanks AKsoldier. And you keep your head down and your rifle up over there, you hear? God be with you.

Tell me, would anyone know whether Marlin would retrofit this rifle with a crossbolt safety? I'm sort of a "manual safety" kind of guy. I like my sidearms and rifles to have on/off switches. One of the big take home lessons I took to heart from Mas Ayoob.
    Never! It has a half cock notch when there is a round in the chamber and carrying the rifle in "Condition 3--The chamber is empty and hammer is down with a charged magazine in the gun" is safe and secure when you need an extra measure of safety. I would always pay more for a Marlin lever gun without a cross-bolt safety. IMO the only real safety on a firearm rests between the shooter's ears.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Never! It has a half cock notch when there is a round in the chamber and carrying the rifle in "Condition 3--The chamber is empty and hammer is down with a charged magazine in the gun" is safe and secure when you need an extra measure of safety. I would always pay more for a Marlin lever gun without a cross-bolt safety. IMO the only real safety on a firearm rests between the shooter's ears.
    Well, I disagree. When the rifle is leaning up against a tree, and someone unauthorized grabs it, having the safety on can give me the 3 seconds I need to solve the problem. Assuming that the safety can be engaged when the hammer is down. Otherwise the rifle can be chambered and fired almost instantaneously by anyone. Having that person have to think about which button to push in order to "turn on" the gun, can be a lifesaver. Well anyway, that's my "Ayoob" integrated mindset, and why I carry a 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by RGL01 View Post
    Well, I disagree. When the rifle is leaning up against a tree, and someone unauthorized grabs it, having the safety on can give me the 3 seconds I need to solve the problem. Assuming that the safety can be engaged when the hammer is down. Otherwise the rifle can be chambered and fired almost instantaneously by anyone. Having that person have to think about which button to push in order to "turn on" the gun, can be a lifesaver. Well anyway, that's my "Ayoob" integrated mindset, and why I carry a 1911.
    I'll allow in your scenario it may give a bit more time to act, but the real issue is the neglected responsibility of a loaded firearm if an unauthorized person assumes control of said weapon. In addition to that, if someone can manipulate and fire a rifle in condition 3 nearly "instantaneously" I've no confidence that a safety will give you an extra three seconds with the same person. I've no idea what the likelihood of your scenario is, but I should think it not nearly as likely as the safety becoming ajar at an inopportune moment and not allowing a responsible user to fire the rifle. To each his own, but it seems like so much wasted movement IMO for a leveraction.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast