Thread: Avoiding Kenai Pinks in 2010

Default Avoiding Kenai Pinks in 2010

Hi guys - I am taking my dad to the Kenai for his 70th next summer. We are targeting Silvers and Rainbows in the upper and middle section and want to avoid the pinks. We'll also hit some smaller water too to break up the week.

Would you reccomend the first or second week in Sept?

Thanks ~ Tony

Default Yes...

I've had excellent luck all through Sept. but of course it depends on the weather, ie. rain. Heavy rains in early September can wash much of the food out of the river and the trout with it, but usually it's good both weeks. I would probably say that the second week might be a touch more reliable for trout, as it seems like as the temperatures cool, the trout become more voracious and less selective. I really haven't fished much for Silvers on the upper/ middle river (although every year I say I'm going to) because the trout fishing is just too darn good!

Pinks should not be much of a problem in the Upper Kenai while targeting bows in September. In the middle you can still get to the bows by using gear to avoid the pinks such as a indicator/bead and slowing your boat to go as slow as possible which will prevent dragging your line through the mass of pinks. I also tend to set my rig to fish the water column above the pinks if that makes any sense. Keep in mind that the pinks will slowly clear out from the downstream areas (Soldotna Bridge) & working your way upstream (Skilak) over the course of a week or two.
    Silvers in the middle is more of a fish the water that is not holding as many pinks and I would look for the slower deep holes or side channel areas. Yes, you will still catch some pinks but if the silvers are there you will catch them as well. Also, backtrolling plugs will catch more pinks than will casting lures or using eggs (lower river) as the silvers tend to be more aggressive.
    When the pinks do clear out the trout fishing is some of the best that the Kenai has to offer due to the girthiness (is that a word) of the trout. Anyway, just my two cents on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by trperk View Post
    . . . and want to avoid the pinks.
    So, you don't like getting "humped" ???

the best way I've found to avoid pinks while silver fishing is to strip egg sucking leaches or other dark flies over the top of the schools instead of swinging. Coho usually come up out of nowhere and smash the flies
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Smile

I wouldn't worry about it.
    You just enjoy that time with your Dad. No matter what your catching.

Ok Im gonna say this and Im being a but. Ummmmm Dont fish the Kenai.

On a serious not. Pinks are not much if any issue on the upper above skilak. Give them to Mid ish september and you ok on the mid.

Oh if powder monkey says it, it all must be true

The Monkey is our HERO
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Chuck if there's one thing I know how to do its not catch fish
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

The majority of my experience lyes in the middle river, so that's where I'll speak from: The pinks start getting really lazy by the time September rolls around, so the best way to avoid them and still catch silvers is to cast spinners into the slow water holes. The pinks are usually too tired and lazy to actively chase a lure by then, while the silvers remain full of piss and vinegar! If you sit bait on the bottom, back troll a plug, or drift something along the bottom, a humpy doesn't have to expend any real energy to get at it. A spinner or fly retrieved at a moderate rate seems to be just enough to keep the humpies away, yet still gives you a great chance at hooking up some Coho!
    I'm not saying that you won't catch any pinks this way, but I promise the ratio will be much much better.

As far as bows and dollies go, it's more about location than presentation... The presentation has to be right for trout to eat, so altering it can be detrimental. Focus on location instead - there are certain spots that humpies congregate and it's next to impossible to target trout w/o hooking up some pinks in these areas; On the other hand, there are some holes in which very few pinks hang out, leaving the trout more easily accessible. A good guide knows these areas, and if you're fishing w/o a guide then you'll have to learn via trial and error. Good luck
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Chuck if there's one thing I know how to do its not catch fish

LMAO Only on a cold winters days.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight