Thread: kulukak river info needed

Default kulukak river info needed

Hello to all,
    I was wondering if any one had some first hand knowledge of the kulukak? This river isnt listed in a book i have and i need to know some basics. what is the rating of this river, any cautions to be aware of, trip length and amount of motor boat travel during peak coho time. I do understand that most rivers will be crowded however, I have pondered doing the good news, togiak or the branch but i saw this river on a map and the charter flys there. I prospectivley plan on doing it in a rental raft from bay air out of dillingham. Does anyone have any cautions about this charter or good remarks? I am assuming i should be able to find some rainbow and dollies durring the last 2 weeks of august as well as hopefully getting into some silvers. This is my first trip to the south west and any helpful information would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    Brad

Brad,
    Sent you a PM

Default A Reference For You

Brad,

There is a brief writeup on the Kulukak River in Gunnar Pedersen and Rene Limeres' book, Alaska Fishing, available on this website. Nothing there about whitewater ratings or other difficulties though. Sounds like you can drop off on wheels or floats along the upper river. They show it as a 37 mile float, with most of the fishing pressure in the lower 4-5 miles. They indicate that it can be floated from the headwaters.

A word of caution; I have discovered some errors in this book. Mostly river mileage stuff, but as always, you should fact-check anything you read (even stuff I write!) Having said that, anyone seriously interested in flshing in Alaska should have a copy of this book.

Good luck!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks Mike,
    I have one of gunnar's books floating around here somewhere . I will have to look and see if it is the same one, i think its titled roadside fishing.. or something like that . I will check it out. I also have found that not all information aquirred from books are totaly acurate.The most written information i can find on the web pertains to scientific abstracts, which some were helpful in determining salmon runs on this strectch and i did come across a promo from a lodge,other than that not much else, aside from some first hand info from kerry, a member of this site which was quite helpful. I got a few months to dig around before i commit to a trip. I do have the togiak in mind also, but i dont care for all the motor traffic that might occur on that river. Ill keep snooping around until i find a river that has good hiking nearby and good fishing with out a lot of guide pressure. Good luck eh? I think though, if i stick to some of the smaller rivers i might get lucky.One never knows.
    Thanks again,
    Brad.

Default Alaska Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by bushwaker View Post
    Thanks Mike,
    I have one of gunnar's books floating around here somewhere . I will have to look and see if it is the same one, i think its titled roadside fishing.. or something like that ....
    Brad,

The book you're thinking of is called "The Highway Angler". Completely different book. The one you want is Alaska Fishing. Much better for what you are planning...

Good luck!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default kulukuk river....

Brad,
    I have quite a bit of experience on this river and the salmon fishing is excellent especially for silvers and of course dollys. The river usually only has two lodge operators that have a permit to guide fisherman there (unless it has changed...). Back when I was a guiding we would only see a handfull of rafters and very few other fisherman and lots of bears!!!!! Just a note though is that the river seems to only have andromadous(searun fish). I have never seen/caught a Rainbow, Grayling or Pike on the kulukuk. A biologist friend told me a term that these type of rivers are called but it has slipped my mind. but, if you go over a valley to the next river, rainbow trout and all the other typical fish can be found (i.e. ungalikthaluk, neguthiluk and togiak). Should be a fun trip and if you get to where it dumps into kulukuk bay and are bored, there are lots of starry flounder that will bite most anything jigged on the bottom. Cheers!

NERKA71

Thanks Nerka71,
    I did some research on the next valley over and the 2 rivers that you mentioned sounds like just the ticket. there are only 2 guide permit holders on one river, and contains the species of fish that i am after. it is a short float, which is just fine by me, more time to fish which is the primary reason for me going there. Also one river is right next to a tuya, which should be interesting to hike around. I was wondering if you have ever floated any of those rivers? It sounds like a pretty easy float, but first hand info is invaluable.I would like to get over to the kulakuk someday, maybe during the king run. so many rivers and to little time to fish.
    Thanks again
    Brad

Default Bay Air

I have used Bay Air on five trips. Tom and Janet run a good operation. Be prepared for bugs and bears!