Thread: Unit 13 CC001

Default Unit 13 CC001

Can anyone tell me about this hunt? I am having a hard time finding info. Anyone have any info on open caribou seasons right now where they are not too far from the road? Id love to put my little girl (she's 5) on a bou now.

Ak Shawn
    AKShawn

Shawn - It looks to me like you're confusing a couple of different hunts with each other.

DC 001 is located in Unit 7 (Kenai Mountains). It has almost no motorized access and success rates are generally only around 5%. It is a very difficult hunt, but easier to win than some other drawing permits.

RC 566 is located in Unit 13 (Nelchina basin). It is currently managed by the Tier I system. Anyone can apply, but if you win, nobody in your household may hunt moose or caribou in any unit other than 13 for that regulatory year. Additionally, antlers must be cut from the bases and left in the field.

Neither of these are options right now, but can be applied for before Dec. 31st for next fall.

As for currently open seasons that are not far from the road, I don't think there are any options. The only place where you would find caribou near the road open to hunting would be up on the Dalton Highway, but that requires a certified bowhunter unless you're going to have your five year old daughter hike out five miles. Besides that, it is dark most of the time up north right now and very, very cold. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there aren't really any options for what you're looking for right now.

Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska, United States

I am with AKShawn on this one, there is a CC001 hunt in unit 13. I just got off the phone with the guys up in fairbanks and it if a community hunt, meaning you have to live within the unit to hunt it. the other hunt is a rc556 and yes is controlled by a drawing system. so you are both correct but like brainm said there is no caribou hunting there now for most people.

Thanks for the clarification, mac. I was aware of the community harvest hunt, but didn't think of that when I saw this unfamiliar hunt #.

Folks that don't live in the Ahtna communities were given an opportunity to participate in this hunt, but that has come and gone. Those selected to participate had to deliver two quarters (at least one rear) on the bone to a community harvest sharing event in Gulkana (I think) back in October. I recall there was one forum member here who chose to take place, but I don't recall reading a report of how it all went.

Do you know if owning a cabin / property in the area qualifies for the CC hunt?

It is not a primary residence, so would that count?

Quote Originally Posted by AKF View Post

Nope. Primary residence only for these types of hunts. That being said, Ahtna was recruiting hunters from outside the area to help with the community harvest program, but there were stipulations such as delivering half of the caribou to a community sharing event on a certain day.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Nope. Primary residence only for these types of hunts. That being said, Ahtna was recruiting hunters from outside the area to help with the community harvest program, but there were stipulations such as delivering half of the caribou to a community sharing event on a certain day.
    Successful hunters for the community hunt were required to deliver at least 2 quarters (in good condition), at least one of which had to be a hind quarter, to the community sharing event in early October, meaning they were responsible for caring for the meat from the time of the hunt until then. There was no turning it in right after the hunt. I didn't see whether it was supposed to still be on the bone or if people could/should process it however they desired to get it to that point.

Still a complete sham if you ask me, but I'm sure things will change the next time around.

Quote Originally Posted by AKF View Post

Here is a link to the requirements to be included in the hunt. Hope this helps. Keep in mind that this was last year's information and things have a tendancy to change drastically with this hunt from year to year and even month to month it seems.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/news/2009...13_caribou.pdf