Thread: River fishing in Juneau?

Talking River fishing in Juneau?

Hey all.

We just received orders (U.S. Coast Guard) to Juneau, will be arriving this fall. My wife and I loved all the river fishing we were able to do while stationed on Kodiak, and are wondering what (if any) the river fishing is like in Juneau and surrounding areas?

We just love to fish...spin-cast, fly, whatever...but prefer rivers over the open water. And we aren't trophy anglers, we'll fish for whatever is biting (steelhead, salmon, dolly varden...the list goes on...).

So, what's it like? I'm assuming not as good as Kodiak, but better than somewhere in Nebraska!

Thanks.
    Andy

alot of rain and silver salmon (chilkat, chilkoot). good lunch specials at the airport. that's all I know.

Fishing in juneau is terrible unless you are into pinks and chums in which case its incredible. Anyhow I live in Juneau from september to may I prefer duck hunting to flailing around trying to catch fish.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Say What?

I'm a lot more optimistic about fishing in Juneau than that....Like anywhere, you just need to figure out where to go, and there are plenty of places where a guy can do well. There just isn't much of a road system, so having a boat helps. Lots of the CG guys here seem to end up buying boats too. Even if you don't, and you and the family are just interested in catching fish, there are lots of opportunities to catch salmon, dollies and trout. Call one of the sport fish Bio's in town when you get here, they'll get you pointed in the right direction. I will say this though, depending on when you get here in the fall, you might miss the best fishing opportunities, it tends to slow down after the salmon runs end in the early fall. Good luck, Juneau is a great place to live if you like the outdoors-

Quote Originally Posted by stevesch View Post
    alot of rain and silver salmon (chilkat, chilkoot). good lunch specials at the airport. that's all I know.
    oops, that was haines. but there is still alot of rain and a good lunch special at the juneau airport.

Depending on when you report, there is coho fishing available off the road system ( we've only got about 50 miles here ). Generally the stream fishing for them runs from mid-September to mid/late Oct. There are only a few streams that are crossed by road but access is easy and they typically aren't combat fisheries if you walk a little ways. By reporting in the fall you will have all winter to pimp your new found fishing mates for spring and summer opportunities.

You can find kings in fish creek on douglas reds in windfall creek, pinks and chums everywhere, plus silvers in almost every stream but they are hard to come by. Steelhead run in peterson and cowee creek but I have yet to see one. With a BG of fishing on the russian I find fishing in juneau terible. A boat would sure make things more interesting at least
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Juneau fishing

Andy:
    I sent you a PM. SEMike

I lived in Juneau for several years thought the fishing was fine. Certainly better if you had a boat but I had great luck in the streams. Favortite was steelhead in cowee creek towards the end of the road. It took a bit to figure out where to go and when. Definitely helped me to make friends with a local fish biologist.

MY FISHING SCHEDULE WHILE LIVING IN JUNEAU WENT LIKE THIS:

FISH STEELHEAD LATE APRIL/EARLY MAY

PETERSON CREEK: RUN USUALLY UNDER 40 FISH ONLY ABOUT 5-6 HOLES FROM THE FALLS TO HWY THAT HOLD FISH DON'T FISH BELOW HWY TO LAGOON, HAVE CAUGHT IN LAGOON BEFORE AND AT OUTLET TO OCEAN GOOD DOLLY FISHING WITH OCCASIONAL CUTTHROAT and RAINBOW AND/OR STEELHEAD SMOLT.

COWEE CREEK DECENT STEELHEAD ACTION AT TIMES TIMING EVERYTHING/ DOLLY ACTION DECENT AS WELL

OTHER STREAMS IN AREA/ADMIRALTY IS. HOST STEELHEAD WORTH THE TRIPS NEED BOAT OR RESEARCH ON OWN NOT GONNA GIVE THOSE SPOTS AWAY FOR FREE.

MONTANA CREEEK THE BEST CREEK TO FISH FOR DOLLIES AND SOME NICE CUTTHROAT

SALTWATER SHORELINE/GASTINEU CHANNEL EXCELLENT FISHING FOR DOLLIES, MOUTH OF SHEEP CREEK TO DOUGLAS BRIDGE GOOD AREA TO BEGIN THROW SPOONS/CROCIDILES

MENDENHALL VALLEY LAKES/AUKE LAKE FOR CUTTHROAT NOT THE BEST ACTION IN THE WORLD,

THEN I WOULD ABANDON STREAM FISHING EXCEPT MAYBE FISH CREEK FOR KINGS AT MOUTH IN JUNE UNLESS YOUR INTO FISHING FOR HUMPIES AND CHUMS I RECCOMMEND BUYING A 16-20 FT SKIFF FOR TROLLING

AUGUST START FISHING CREEKS FOR DOLLIES THAN SILVERS HEAT UP BEST CREEKS COWEE AND MONTANA HANDS DOWN

TALK TO BRAD DOWNTOWN AT JUNEAU FLY FISHING GOODS ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE RONDEVOUS BAR 2ND FLOOR OF A TOURIST SHOP BUILDING HE HAS GOOD INFO EVEN IF YOUR NOT A FLY FISHERMAN

GOOD LUCK WITH STREAMS PART OF THE REASON I MOVED NOT ENOUGH ACTION FRESHWATER WISE IN THE AREA

HUMPER