Thread: Furbearers in Girdwood?

Default Furbearers in Girdwood?

Has anyone heard of or seen any varmints in the girdwood area? Maybe up the crow creek mine road? Looking for lynx or coyotes. I know someone who trapped a wolf closer to portage. Any chance of wolf? I'm planning on calling for them.

I've seen quite a bit more wolves around Hope.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Lots of population in that area. Also, lots of loose running family pets so be sure of what you are seeing especially if night calling.

Default Which kind?

what kind of population? Lynx, coyotes or wolves? I'll tkae the pet aspect into consideration though, thanks.

hap

Lots of fur in Girdwierd area, but leg holds will ruin most hairy legs...

Default Calling

I'm planng on setting up and calling. Dont have a trappers license.

I meant human population........be sure to take a good look around before setting up. Alaska is a big place, why zero in on a populated resort area? Be sure to check the regs before you do.

Quote Originally Posted by OATS View Post
    ...why zero in on a populated resort area?
    I've been asking that question a lot lately and haven't received a decent answer yet. It sounds like folks are too lazy to drive. Fortunately, it's avy season and that should hinder the folks who want to hunt a town.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default ???

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    I've been asking that question a lot lately and haven't received a decent answer yet. It sounds like folks are too lazy to drive. Fortunately, it's avy season and that should hinder the folks who want to hunt a town.
    Okay, first; Is Girdwood really a densely populated area? I know where the main neighborhoods and the resort areas are and plan on staying away from them. I'm familiar with the area from doing engineering work in that town. I know where the neighborhoods and trails are and the trails I dont know exact locations, I know where to get the maps of first. I've never driven up the crow creek mine road and thought "Wow, this is a heavily populated area" which is where I plan on going (near the actual creek). If 3000 (max) people is too populated to hunt I guess that kinda rules out the whole mat-su valley huh?

second; Can anyone make a decision to do someting easier or closer without just being "lazy"? If you want to pick me up and drive me somewhere farther feel free. Excuse me for looking closer to home instead of planning to hunt the south pole. If you assume I'm going to "hunt a town" by being remotely close to people's homes, you're assuming i'm a total idiot. Not so.

third; I plan on hunting dawn-dusk and using a .22. I'm not firing some cannon that will freak everyone out, And I'll be hunting when there's enough light out to see good. I will also set-up so I'm shooting away from the road or downhill into the ground. I'm very conscientous about where I am, where other people are and who might ski right up to me and will plan accordingly.

If you have any information that you are willing to share about lynx, coyotes, wolves, wolverines or fox in the area please share it. I plan on setting up to hunt in a safe, legal, ethical and SMART way and would appreciate sticking to the subject on this forum. Once someone changes the subject on these it almost never gets back on track.

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

The girdwood area would be a great place to call. ive seen wolves lynx and fox there from the air. I would also say there is some wolverine there as i have seen them in the pass which is not far. As far as being populated just use your own judgement and stay away from houses and the mainstream of things. . Its just like anywhere else i know people who call just out of anchorage with no problems.

Per your note on Crow Creek Rd, there are actually quite a few homes up there that are permanently inhabited (not seasonal). There is some space to be found, but go a ways past wherever you decide to set up to make sure there isn't a house beyond the trees. More folks live up at the end of that road than many realize.

If it were me and I wanted to hunt that area, I'd either hike up the Winner Creek trail at least 3 miles, or I would go past Girdwood and hunt the next drainage - same terrain, no homes.

Default Homes

I'm aware of the homes up on crow creek road. I've got very detailed aerial photos and land records for the area I want to hunt. I'll be more than 1.5 miles from the nearest house and more than a mile away from the nearest trailhead.

No offense, but with all the tree-huggers in Girdwood, that's the LAST place I'd think about setting up a trap, to catch and kill an animal. Legality or not, first impressions last a while Plus nay trail will surely have a X-country skier on it. Folks would love to tamper with a trappers gear.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Pay attention.

Once again, I'M NOT TRAPPING. I wouldn't dream of setting up a trapline around girdwood. If found they would probably steal and destroy them.

I still would advice against hunting in such a dense, populated, heavily trafficked area. Looking for blackies deep into the valley is one thing, but beating the brush off Crow Creek is another.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Of course there are fur bearers in Girdwood as long as in the rest of Alaska. What ever happened to people busting a little brush and finding their own areas to call in. I can personally tell you that the majority of callers are not going to put you within 20 miles of their own calling areas. Get a topo, a pair of snowshoes and hit the trail. Pay attention to moose wintering areas in river bottoms, garbage transfer sites (for coyotes) and brushy areas close to residential areas. As the winter drags on, kitten and chicken distress calls work wonders in these areas. As you looking around watch for tracks. No need to call in a barren area. It took me over 5 years to find my spots. Good luck.