Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: rimfire scopes?

  1. #1
    Member lynch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    327

    Default rimfire scopes?

    I have an old 5mm and am looking for a new scope for it, I will be mostly shooting ptarmigan but also will be doing a little fox hunting with it as well. What scopes are you guys liking on your 17 hmrs and 22 mags?

  2. #2
    Member TWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    3,573

    Default

    Mueller scopes seem to be quite popular in the rimfire department and don't break the bank either.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

  3. #3
    Member stevelyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Fairbanksan in Aleutian Hell
    Posts
    1,316

    Default

    I have a Bushnell specific to the .17 HMR with a BDC on my Savage.
    Now what ?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,568

    Default

    Best bang for the buck I've found for rimfire scopes are either the Weaver or Sightron rimfire versions.
    Tennessee

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Between two lakes in Alaska
    Posts
    951

    Default

    We have Leupolds on our Kimbers. The wife has a 4X and I have a variable. Never had a problem with either one.

    I have a variable Weaver on a 10/22. After shooting it for some time I started to see parts of the scope floating around inside. I sent it in and they sent me a new one. No more problems.

  6. #6

    Smile Leupold...

    My old Browning T Bolt wears a 2x7 Leupold Rimfire Scope. I will be putting the 4x on my grandson's .22. Nice little scopes by golly!

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default Parallex

    While you can use a high power scope on a .22 the parallex is really bad at the shorter ranges where a rimfire is typically used.

    I used to use the old Weaver K-series scopes on .22s by loosening the turrent screws and then carefuly sliding the turrent assembly back and forth on the tube until it was adjsuted for the desired range and then re-tightening the screw.

    Check any scope for parallex at the distances where you want to use it. You may be surprised at the error esp. at shorter ranges.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  8. #8
    Member hodgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction AK
    Posts
    4,055

    Default

    To me the .22 mag is a 100yd rifle and the HMR is a little longer. I just use a regular rifle scope since paralax is nominally set at 100 yds. I'm currently using a 2.5-8x on a .22 mag and its perfect.

    For a .22 used at closer distances the Leupold 4x Rimfire is a real gem- paralax is about 60yds IIRC.

  9. #9
    Member Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Palmer,Alaska
    Posts
    1,737

    Default

    I have a Marlin 39 and have a 2x7 Leupold Rimfire Scope screwed on, but if I was going to go to something different and new it would be a new Sightron. They are so much better than any other scope I could think of.

    P.S. I have scopes that cost many times more than any Sightron and I'm here to tell you they have the best system in the world for internal adjustment.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,568

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I have scopes that cost many times more than any Sightron and I'm here to tell you they have the best system in the world for internal adjustment.
    Have to agree with you. Since I purchased my first Sightron a couple of years ago I've never bought another Leupold. Time will tell how they hold up, but so far, so good
    Tennessee

  11. #11
    Member Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Palmer,Alaska
    Posts
    1,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Have to agree with you. Since I purchased my first Sightron a couple of years ago I've never bought another Leupold. Time will tell how they hold up, but so far, so good

    You just have no idea the greif I have had from people saying the samething you are saying, it's just unbelievable. So few people Have any idea of the Leupold scopes in numbers I have sent back to Leupold over the years due to the failing of the errector tube and the failure of the cheap little flat springs. The numbers of people that are non- shooters that have sent me nasty grams over this issue runs to about 99%. They think I'm making this all up. Oh well, such is life.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default Sightron scopes

    Sightron scopes have a price range of around $100 - $900 or so to include the SI, SII, & SIII series.

    Are all the Sightron scopes that good or just the top end ones? As far as optics and mechanics go can you really compare a $110 Sightron S1 to a VX-III or are you comparing the VX-I to the SI etc.?

    Also - where are the Sightron scopes made? I do prefer to buy American made products whenever I can - a bit of patriotic spirit in me I guess!

    I'm not disagreeing - just trying to get some info.



    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I have a Marlin 39 and have a 2x7 Leupold Rimfire Scope screwed on, but if I was going to go to something different and new it would be a new Sightron. They are so much better than any other scope I could think of.

    P.S. I have scopes that cost many times more than any Sightron and I'm here to tell you they have the best system in the world for internal adjustment.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,568

    Default

    Can't say they are all good as I never tried them all
    But I do own a 3x9 rimfire scope, 3 of the SII 4-16x42's and one Big Sky SIIB 6-24x42 D. They are mounted on high end rimfires, .223's and one 6mm Norma BR

    Since they are all currently being used on light recoiling rifles they have not undergone recoil testing to any degree. But as far as adjustments, quality of coated optics, and general fit and finish they are as good, maybe better than any of the Zeiss or Leupolds I've ever owned. If they make a scope that fits the need I have for any new rifles they will be my first choice. Plus they cost less to boot. And yes they have a lifetime warranty.
    Tennessee

  14. #14
    Member Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Palmer,Alaska
    Posts
    1,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Sightron scopes have a price range of around $100 - $900 or so to include the SI, SII, & SIII series.

    Are all the Sightron scopes that good or just the top end ones? As far as optics and mechanics go can you really compare a $110 Sightron S1 to a VX-III or are you comparing the VX-I to the SI etc.?

    Also - where are the Sightron scopes made? I do prefer to buy American made products whenever I can - a bit of patriotic spirit in me I guess!

    I'm not disagreeing - just trying to get some info.



    I guess I have been unfair about this for the last several years but the testing I have done with these scopes has been to start with a five gallon bucket to the turfiest testing in the world " native use in the bush of Alaska". There is a place you can order from that is just about the cheapest place to buy from and perhaps the most honest guy in America, Bob White being the past president of the IBS is the man to order from. I have now sent out all grades and model for the turfiest testing and what I see is the difference is in finish.

    Bob's web address is http://www.benchrest.com/shooterscorner/ If you look under scopes you will see he has and offer for Sightron scopes. If I was only going to buy one or two scopes at a time this would be the guy I would deal with. I suggest you use the web link fr Sightron, pick what you want, then give Bob a call and see how to deal with him for the scope you want to try.


    I forgot to add that Leupold scopes are test by Leupold test to 300 recoil impulse. Sightron test to 3000.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Between two lakes in Alaska
    Posts
    951

    Default Big Al

    Long time no hear. I sent out some smoke signals a while back and no one admitted to knowing what you were up to. Please drop me a PM and let me know how you are.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default Thanks for the links

    Thanks for the link and I also found their catalog.

    Still no information as to where the scopes are made however. Does it say anything on the scopes themselves?


    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I guess I have been unfair about this for the last several years but the testing I have done with these scopes has been to start with a five gallon bucket to the turfiest testing in the world " native use in the bush of Alaska". There is a place you can order from that is just about the cheapest place to buy from and perhaps the most honest guy in America, Bob White being the past president of the IBS is the man to order from. I have now sent out all grades and model for the turfiest testing and what I see is the difference is in finish.

    Bob's web address is http://www.benchrest.com/shooterscorner/ If you look under scopes you will see he has and offer for Sightron scopes. If I was only going to buy one or two scopes at a time this would be the guy I would deal with. I suggest you use the web link fr Sightron, pick what you want, then give Bob a call and see how to deal with him for the scope you want to try.


    I forgot to add that Leupold scopes are test by Leupold test to 300 recoil impulse. Sightron test to 3000.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  17. #17
    Member Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Palmer,Alaska
    Posts
    1,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Thanks for the link and I also found their catalog.

    Still no information as to where the scopes are made however. Does it say anything on the scopes themselves?

    Sorry for that, I had to go to the shop and check out a box. The label says, made in Japan. Now I do not know which manufacturer in Japan makes these scopes under that Sightron name or the terms and standards of what the contract calls for. I generally do know this kind of information, just not about this make of scope, as I have had no problem with them.


    It has been my habit when recommending a rifle scope in the past to give S&B the nod, but in today's world nobody is able to lay out that kind of money. I have been happy to recommend these Sightrons.


    By the way, I do not know of but one U.S. made scope that I can recommend and that is U.S. Optics. You had better be setting down for that kind of money.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

  18. #18
    Member Chisana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Juneau, Alaska
    Posts
    1,438

    Default

    I'm partial to the Leupold 3-9 EFR with a 1/2 MOA dot reticle. Hard to beat for a general purpose rimfire scope.

    Some of the 2x or 3x Aimpoints can be nice as can a Leupold of greater than 10X depending on what you are doing.

    My next 17HMR will probably get a Leupold 8.5-25X, but that is simply because I have a spare one on hand!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •