Thread: Unit 4 Big bucks

Default Unit 4 Big bucks

I am more than well aware the bigger blacktail racks come from Kodiak, POW, and a few other adjacent areas. But speaking in the context of the ABC islands, does anybody have a Good Idea where the largest bucks come from? The big buck contest here has some dandies that are definitely not an easy skiff ride from Sitka, yet the store owner swears they are unit 4 deer. I need no honey holes just a general area is fine. PM me if you would like. I plan on spending money and time next year to go where my skiff can't take me.

Thanks

Default Not sure...

I lived and hunted sitka blacktail deer on Andmiralty Island for over 10 years back in the late 90s. Most of the deer for forkhorns, but during that time I saw 4 truely monster blacktails taken. Unfortunately I do not have any pictures, but 2 were over 20 inches wide and only had a few points on each side, 1 was about 18 inches wide and 16 inches tall and had 6 points on one side and 8 on the other. The other I can't tell you how wide since the hunter shot him in the head and split the skull, but he had 5 points on one side and 6 on the other. These deer were all shot in different areas, so I am not sure if there is any specific "trophy" spot, and if there was, I would certainly keep it a closely held secret because these super bucks only get big once.

CubeCove

you might want to talk to johnnie laird if your looking for good info....he spends alot of time looking for them critters

Default Different units

Johnnie (Muskeg) hunts unit 1,3, and 2 I believe. Unit 4 is a bit north of his regular stomping grounds.

Here is my prospective on hunting big bucks in unit 4. September, September, September!

Thats the very best month to attack the alpine and have the luxury of still watching bachelor groups with hard horn.

I won't tell you specifics but I do have one area within skiff ride from town that has held a nice potential derby winner the past couple years. I've either passed on him or down right couldn't get him three times now.

Rodman and Fish Bay have great genetics and if you talk to the locals who have hunted a long time those are historically good 4x4 areas. You gotta get back into the most inaccessible country you can find in Sept and be high. Don't shoot the goats while your up there and focus on the deer. The approach to those areas can be brutal.

Of course late season always produces some big bucks but thats more unpredictable. The alpine strategy allows a guy to look over more animals and be selective.

Honestly though......the bucks here on Baranof are just not as big as other areas. I've seen slugs on POW and Etolin. I've also seen some real smashers come off the mainland.
    Getting a big Sitka on Baranof is a real treat when it happens.

If your here in Sitka, PM me, and I'll let you look through my antler pile an we'll talk deer. I've also got a good friend with a long local history here that has a dozen or so big ones.

Default Big Bucks

Curious as to what are the scores of these deer in the big buck contest down there in Sitka? Hunting sitka blacktails has to be the most fun hunts I do.

Used to be the #2 Sitka on display at Ward Air.

Don't recall the score. Thing looked like a friggin mule deer rack. Taken by Dux Thompson IIRC in Tenakee Inlet - that is Unit 4. Now this is definately not an area known for trophies, but a good buddy of mine said the biggest one he saw was off one of the logging roads over there.

Default scores

Last year the majority of the deer in the big buck contest were in the 80's here in Sitka. The leader now could go over 100.

Both Chichagof and Baranof have pockets of good genetics. Also both have pockets of areas that experience little pressure and the bucks get old.

Most of the deer that have won the big buck contest in Sitka have been off Chichagof Island. That being said I know one year someone snuck a POW deer in there and won and a few have come from Peril Strait area . Kelp bay has produced one winner that I know of and has some nice deer.Almost all the winners are shot after the snow flys not uncommon to see forty or more deer on the beaches when snow is deep and you can pick your big rack .I personally know of only one deer that has won that came from south of Sitka and wasn't more than ten miles from town early September deer up high . (best deer to eat alpine bucks early) The largest score I have seen in my fifty years in Sitka was 103 anything over eighty is good and ninty you are in the big boy class for this area.We took some nice deer will goat hunting around Sitka this year and if you get way back in the vallies can see some big deer Had a client miss a four by four with eyeguards last year with in ten miles of town.
    James Phillips
    Annahootz Alaskan Adventures

I have a good friend who has shot a 107 I believe in Sitka. It is a dandy 3-point he shot more than a few years back, but is the most impressive rack I have seen around Sitka.