Thread: Best rack install I've seen...

Default Best rack install I've seen...

For this setup, anyhow

Browsing dootalk and found this setup on a XP-'Gade

"Some lexan dual locked to the inside of the lid for a map holder "

"If you look close in the background is the bike this box was made for. I never use it and thought it would be good for the doo. Bent up some 3/4" solid round aluminum, some 1"x1 1/2" rectangular al. tubing. Cut the whole bottom of the box out so its really light. Very thin stuff. "

looks good...thought it might be a bit foolish to put that much capacity so far back on the tunnel until I saw the nice tunnel bracing....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

i was wondering about putting all that weight in the back, does your suspension bottom easy now? How does it ride?

Ick. Double ick.

I'm thinking he's probably not going to be putting lead bars in there, just space for an extra pair of gloves/jacket, some grub and odds/ends...

Very clean install...

Ick? C'mon Pid

Not on a bet. Ick was being polite. My first response would have been censored. A couple of rails for tie-downs and I can carry any **** thing I want. A steamer trunk hasn't made the list.

It's definetly some very nice work, looks a little better than a milk crate strapped down back there.

A simple rack that provides tie-downs is all I want. My racks get used virtually every time I ride. The load always changes. Simple is better. Here's what's in the garage tonight. The two XP Renegades have Skinz racks mounted. They work perfectly with the XP's heat exchanger down the center of the tunnel. The Nytro XTX was more troublesome. That's a Cheetah Factory Racing rack. It's the best rack I could find that would fit over the tail light, and that required fabbing some spacers. That rack has a bottom that keeps the goods off the tunnel. The exhaust is still a bit of a nuisance. I need a custom (longer) turnout.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Two XP renegades AND an XTX? I officially hate you now Right on. 6 or 8's on the XP's?

Are you runnin the QD on the sway bar?

Default I agree with Mr. Pid

Unless that "trunk" (shown in the photo) is packed very tight every time you use it, your crap will look like it was spun in a blender when running back country.

Pack your stuff in soft packs/backpacks then strap it down tight on a rack.

Trail rides no problem. But it always happens, a short fast bumpy section and whalla! Your equipment has become a ham & cheese pasted first aid kit with a hint of spare gloves topped in sterno that smells like beer.

Mmmmmm! Beer smelling sterno!

I think it looks clean. Sensible in all situations, maybe not - but the concept it awesome. If YOU like it, then thats all that matters.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

It looks sharp and although I drooled a little looking at those pics of that rack set-up......Pid is right.

Loads are continually changing so it's good to have a system that allows a dynamic change of gear according to where you are riding, and how far you are going.

Lightbulb i never put anything """firm"""

back there as anything hard seems to "beat me " down.. soft bag and strap her down... use open cell foam to fill up space...and NO beer beind the handle bars..or u mite as pour them "foam'e sob's out
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Default Powder keg

If you've never heard of these before, you should check them out. I bought a Polaris Powder keg box for the wifes rev chassis Summit, had to modify the brackets to make it fit but we got it on there. These things are rock solid and hold quite a bit of gear. Here's the XP version.
    Attached Images Attached Images