Thread: Help needed picking a sled

Default Help needed picking a sled

I have about 3 seasons of snow machining experience. I had 2001 Ski-doo summit 144, and 02 polaris rmk 550 136 for the wife. I hit a rock last spring and totaled my machine and I sold my wife's (too many little problems). When I first started I did alot of playing (hi-marking) etc. Now I mainly want a sled to hunt/explore with. I like to hunt ptarmigan so I need a sled that can handle the occasional steep and deep. I've been looking on alaskaslist and craiglist but I have some ?s.

How are the newer 4 strokes? I'm only 5-8 180 lbs so I don't think I really need 1000cc. Are they still too heavy for me to use if I'm out alone?

What track classifies a mt only sled (point and shoot) vs a sled I could do a little bit of everything with. I liked my summit with the 144 but it was kinda heavy and I usually ended up working on it all week to ride on the weekends.

How many miles is too many for a used sled? I'm not much of a mechanic.

Anybody have a review for a 2006 Ski-doo summit 600 SDI 144"?

I'm hoping to find a nice fairly new (low miles) used sled for under $6500. What do you guys recommend I look for and what should I stay away from?

Thanks for the help. So many different sleds to choose from and I can't handle sitting on the couch anymore

If you think a Summit with a 144" track is too heavy forget any of the 4-strokes, they'll weigh in roughly 100 pounds or more heavier than any comparable 2-stroke machine. Note: I made this last statement if full knowing that every lead-sled owner will come out of the woodwork now.

You are going to be looking at lightweight, lower end utility sleds for what you want.

The size of the motor is entirely a personal preference. Don't discount power; wait 'till you've used a dog-sled. Fellow I knew had some 380cc powered Ski-Doo, bragged about how wonderful it was on gas, but he couldn't ever go in deep snow 'cause thing thing sank; it was gutless. Had a 1/2" lugged track that it could not even spin. I'd just dooooowwaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! And you smelled the belt burning. A joke that thing. He got smart and sold it.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Try looking at the Scandic Tundra 550f. I just love mine.
    Yeah its a utility sled but should work great for what you are looking for.
    Hunting ,Icefishing,etc. Never had it in extreme powder or mountain riding but I have heard they work fine. a little narrower than some mountain sleds and less power but a lot lighter as well. And the suspension on my 08 is good.
    The back rack holds a lot of stuff plus you can tow a sled if you need to.
    Was thinking of mounting an atv style gun boot on mine. Might be a good option for some ptarmigan hunting.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

2ND for the 550F Tundra.

Default thanks

I don't have experience with a Tundra. The only other sled I ever rode was my wife's 550 136" polaris and it didn't do very well at all off trail with any uphill action. How well to the Tundra's do off trail in the powder? There's several places I'd like to get back into to look for birds and do a little calling for predators.

For a used sled how many miles is too many? There is alot of sleds on alaskaslist and craiglist right not with a little over 2000 miles?

Thanks for the help.

For what its worth, the Ski-doo 550 engine has more power than the anemic Polaris 550. More reliable too.

I was climbing 45-50 degree hills in 4 feet of powder at LL last year. My 550F did great! Boondocking is a Tundra strong point.

You were riding the old chassis Summit, the new "rev" chassis is considerably lighter and built with the rider in mind. I think a Summit 144 with the 600 HO SDI would be perfect for what you want to do. Can climb the steep hills and ride the swamps with ease and is awesome in deep powder. Gas and oil consumption is very good as well.

not a skidoo fan but my buddys tundra 550 is a pretty nice sled for what your talking about. It does fine in powder and cruises along nicely and good for pulling a sled. It has a pretty long track so plenty of floatation and he added a huge skid plate in the front for plowing through the willows. Pretty nice rig but eats a lot of gas.

Default Thanks for the help

I was set on getting a new tundra from the ski-doo dealership but I found a 2006 ski-doo 800 151" with only 600miles today on craiglist. It was 2 grand cheaper than the tundra so I couldn't turn it down. It's probably more sled than I really need but I should be able to go anywhere. Now I have to find someone to ride with tomorrow.