Thread: 3 place toy-hauler

Default 3 place toy-hauler

Well I got the 3/4 ton diesel now and I am starting to research toy haulers. I am hoping to get one for this next summer since I should actually be home for it!! I have a family of 5 and I plan to eventually be able to take everyone out for a weekend on the trail with our quads as well as snow machines in the winter. I figure we need a trailer that can carry at least 3 mountain sleds and then we will haul the last 2 on a sled-deck.

I am hoping to get one in the 26-30' range but at this point I have no idea who makes what I am looking for. I also don't know which manufacturers are good and which ones to avoid so I would appreciate any suggestions you all may have!!

by "toyhauler" do you mean a travel trailer (camper) with room in the rear to haul toys, or do you mean an enclosed trailer?

if you mean a camping trailer that can haul 3 mountain sleds I have no idea, I've never seen one..using a sled deck means you'll be looking for a bumper pull trailer too...might be a tough find....

If you mean an enclosed trailer with foldable bunks, heater, and such I'd strongly suggest you look at the Charmac trailers....quite a few reasons they were my preference after looking at every trailer I could get my mitts on......you could make a very comfortable "camper" out of a 30' enclosed and probably fit all 5 of your sleds in it too...it's only money, right?
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Yeah I am looking for a travel trailer type with a "real" bathroom for the wifey...

I understand....porta' potty's don't fly with my wife either...
    pull my finger....

Default another idea

I was sitting in a waiting room while my truck was being repaired and thumbing thru a magazine. (Some 4 wheeler truck magazine I think). Anyhow. I saw an advertisement for a tow dolly for pulling a 5th wheeler behind your truck. It had two wheels, brakes of some kind and hooked to bumper/tow bar in the back of the truck leaving the bed free. I thought now who would want one of those. Now I know. I donít know who made it and it did not look inexpensive but seemed well made. Maybe weld up something on your own? They are out there anyway. Good Luck. Keep us posted

I used to make custom rv's for motorsports people. To my knowledge, I don't think anyone makes one with room for 3 mtn sleds. If there is it would be in the last yr or so. Nearly every camper maker has some version of a toyhauler. Only a few companies soley make toyhaulers.
    Being in the custom business, I would prefer to buy an enclosed car trailer and install the basic bath (Shower, sink and toilet) in the nose and go that route

Have you found anything yet?

a 26 ft horse trailer with full liveing quarters in the front might hold 3 but it would be a gooseneck. a longer trailer might hold 4.

It looks like ATC Motive may have something that could work. It looks like Fleetwood also made one but they eliminated their travel trailer program. I am going to have to actually do some shopping and probably contact some manufacturers. The biggest thing that surprises me is that no one seems to make a stacker. It would be great to have a 13' garage that would hold 4 sleds stacked up!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    The biggest thing that surprises me is that no one seems to make a stacker. It would be great to have a 13' garage that would hold 4 sleds stacked up!
    I wonder how 1200+lbs more than 10' off the ground would affect safety?.....would be cool though...
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    I wonder how 1200+lbs more than 10' off the ground would affect safety?.....would be cool though...
    I was thinking the back 13' of the trailer with 4 sleds (2x2). I still wonder how that would work for balancing the trailer with that much weight all the way in the rear.

Looked at atc motive. Trailers like that is what I had in mind for you. Much more trailer than any fleetwood style rv based trailer ie more expensive, but won't fall apart on you in a couple years.

Stackers. They do make a stacker, but it really is more than your after. Its built for stacking race cars. I would think they could build you a custom one. If they can't/won't, there are several companies that make lifts for trailers for motorcycles and such that could be bolted in any trailer.

Make sure you get one with radiused front and tops. It will pull night and day easier than one with square corners. I like the vnose with shower sink toilet in the nose. Kitchenette entertainment dinnette in the middle. Garage in the rear.

I see they are out of Illinois. I could pull it up there next fall for you if you get one.

Default Jayco Talon 33

I have owed this toyhauler for 4 seasons now and it can easily handle 3 ATVS- has done so plus a meat wagon. We aren't talking about kids toys either 500s and up.

Snow machines have been a little more of an issue and it depends on the length.

The key is all of the fold downs and the pull downs. During fishing season I also haul a 7.5 freezer.

Tough? It has been to the haul road and out to Circle. To Denali and down to Homer. So far, I added batteries and a water pump. Had to replace some piping hangers because of rough roads along with a water valve that I donated at one time.

I like it - the wife likes it and the grandkids like it. Good enought for me.