Thread: Minto Pike

Default Minto Pike

You have a lot of time to think about stuff during our LONGGGGGG Alaskan winters. So while I was dreaming of all the great things to do this last spring, my wife over heard a friend and myself talking about flying out to Minto flats for some Pike fishing. We went Brown Bear hunting to Hinchenbrook Island instead, but that is another story. Anyway she starts thinking about this fly-in fish camp. So we call up the operator and book the trip. It is supposed to be only her and I. So we show up and there is another two guys there going to the same cabin. Well, so much for playing doctor on the Romantic fishing trip. So Iím cool with it, I love to fish and hunt almost as much as like to you knowÖ.play doctor. We load all our gear into the 206. After all my sheep planning I made sure we had only our 50 lbs. The other 2 guys get there and unload everything but the kitchen sink, including a cooler full of beer. Donít get me wrong I love to heavy camp with the best of them, but the pilot said 50lbs. So now I have to deal with the wife while Iím pumping water out of the lake these 2 guys are roasting hot dogs drinking beer. We got water and mountain house. Lesson learned. So we get into the boat, trip comes with a fly-in to a remote cabin and 14 foot Jon boat with 4 hp Honda. Nice setup nothing fancy. I have a ton of fishing time all around the world. Never fished for Pike, did some research, took many types of lures. Some I knew she should be able to catch fish with little experience. This was her first real trip. As we flew in I was keen to try to get an idea of the lay of the land. You need to know why the fish are there to have a better chance at catching really nice fish, I also was quick to ask the departing folks were, what with, where and when they had their best luck. So, after we all got settled into the cabin and had our bunks laid out, the wife and I got into our boat and headed out. We started slow trolling, when we hooked up, I would then cast that entire area. We landed over a 100 fish in the two days of fishing. The pike were supper aggressive and would strike right at the boat with little line out the Pike were taking lures from my wife faster than I could tie them on. She had landed a nice fish; I had removed the lure and threw it in the water. Mistake, a pike took it at the boat and almost pulled the rod from my hand. It was amazing to watch her really learn to fish in those two days. She hooked so many fish that she really learned a lot. By the end of the trip she was fishing on her own, casting and trolling. Early on she had gotten frustrated because she had lost so many lures and I had only brought so many. (The whole 50 lb thing again). She was afraid she would loose all of them and I would not be able to fish, that and they cost 5 to 10 bucks each. Thatís what really burned her butt I believe. We landed fish with lures in their mouths. My biggest was 44 inches and her biggest was 41 inches. It was an amazing trip and she really had a great time. She learned a lot about fishing and Alaska logistics. Money well spent. One year I want to take her with me on a fly-in Bou hunt with 40 mile air. She donít weight much so she gets more than 50 lbs O gear this trip. Bottom line Guys take the ladies fishing, you will both have a great time. Anyone else have spring fever @ xmas.

Default Very nice!

Awesome stuff! Being pretty new to Alaska I am dying to get out and do stuff like this. My wife loves to hunt and fish with me so it is going to be awesome once we do it. Have to really budget right now, but it is coming!!! Congrats to both of you!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Nice fish!!! Thanks for the trip report.

Hell yes, I have spring fever, and the awesome report/pics aren't helping it.

Who was your outfitter - if you don't mind giving out the reference?

Nice... Im going with Rick next year. I hope he has 53P back up and going. Its a really nice time and lots of fish

Default Marina Air's 206

I heard that he crashed 53P the afternoon that he flew us out. Do you know the details??

yep he had a little incident in minto. Should be ready to go next year. I talk to rick about 7 time a day in the summer. He was flying his skywagon after the 206 was out of commission.

Default Okay

Glad to hear no one was hurt.

Happy New Year

Default Pike Fishing

Anybody been out with Rick this year?????

Steve

Flew out with him for rainbows a few weeks back