Thread: Wolf Trap

Default Wolf Trap

What words of wisdom does anyone have for either a closed jaw trap or an offset for wolves. Is the offset more of a new 'fad' thing or does it really prevent extensive damage and broken bones to the feet? Closed jaws sure have caught an aweful lot of wolves. is there truley any difference or is it just old and new style. I was wondering because my dad has all closed jaw and I have offset. Offset though is all I can find. Thanks
    Stay out of the overflow and we finally got some snow!

Default I personally think off set is an improvement

The offset seems to allow a little more circulation meaning less completely frozen toes. With a good bite on the foot doesn't seem to make much difference. But just a toe or two and you tend to have less toes left in the trap with the offset. I am not going to replace all my old traps with new ones though. Good luck.

My fingers prefered offset traps.

I am suprised that only two, Blue Mist and Tombo, had any input about either closed jaw or offset jawed traps. (Thank you for replying) Thank you to all who read the post, but I would appreciate any other comments. Don't be shy.
    Stay out of the overflow
    Amaquk

My dedicated wolf traps #9 & Bridger #5 wolfer have 3/8"offset jaws. I think a #4 or #14 would hold a wolf fine as most of my wolverine are caught in these. Don't rule out snares for wolves they are what catchs most wolves in Alaska.

Very nice pictures 425! Thanks for sharing!! Where are you located??

Thank you for your replies! I sure do appreciate them. Merry Christmas
    Amaquk

TB We live on the mouth of the Copper River on Lake Iliamna. jim

so what happend to the plane, cool pics

offset jaws allow for better circulation to the foot below the jaws & is more foot friendly as for which is better i believe it a matter of personal choice, i trap between 75-100+ coyotes & my first choice trap is the MB 650 offset outside laminated jaws & my #2 choice is the Bridger #3 os outside laminate both traps are 4coiled center swiveled & also have a mid chain swivels as for chain length it depends on wether i stake down solid then i use aprox 18" chain but on drags i use minimum 8' of chain. i will be relocating to AK in 2010 & plan to try my hand at wolf trapping & snareing so im building an inventory of wolf traps, i've started with purchasing a doz MB750's offset & outside lamin. 6 #9 alaskans w/offsets & 1 doz bridger brawns also w/offset but have the addition of pads, as for the #9 alaskan i hear alot of positive talk about them but in setting the trap i find the loose jaw fails to lay flat & i think the jaws should be laminated to provide more surface area to contact the paw & prevent the thinner jaw from cutting the foot also a paws-i-trip pan addition as for the cost of the trap im gonna lean towards the brawn trap since it needs way less modification to make it perform to what i feel is most efficient, so in my drawn out ramblings you see i also prefer 100% offset jaws, use what you have confidence in but record your findings & compare results after a couple seasons & then adjust your trap inventory from there.

Default I've caught MANY

wolves in traps and always prefer the off set jaws. I use #9's, 114's, 4 1/2 (not offset), 14's, and 48's (not offset).

The original purpose of offset jaws was to allow the jaws to close farther and thus allow springs to ride up higher on the jaws. They do seem more foot friendly. If I had a choice, I would prefer the offsets. MB750 wolfers are popular with quite a few trappers.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Another plus for the offset is if you get a non target animal in your trap such as a fox (or other smaller animal than you intended to catch) you are less likely to break any bones alowing them to escape. I also trap coyotes and cats and the trap of my choice is also M.B. 650 laminated. My favorite catch is a good solid pad catch. If you could catch all animals like this it would not matter as either would do. No trap will work perfect 100% of the time but all mentioned will work at the right time.