Thread: problem

Default problem

okay i know there are many here who are familiar with all types of snowmobile problem and im looking for some advice. The other day i was cruising along about 30 ish and my machine started to cut out and act like it was struggling it would then surge forward like nothing was wrong then cut out again it did this for a minute or two then seemed fine. It was not running out of gas and was wondering is this maybe just a plug fouling then burning off? Plug looked a little oily when i got home but i saw spark. The belt was not wet. Sled is a fuel injected 600 rmk. The fuel filter is new, gas is clean, the temp was -20 below plus wind chill if thats a factor. Not much powder so shouldn't have snow in the intake. Do you guys think it was just a plug?

This same thing happened to me a few years back, and it continued for awhile, turned out in my case I had some water in the gas. I didn't think it was water but after a bet with a friend I took the tank off and drained it, quite a bit of water. Since then it has ran great. Just my experience, hope it helps.

cool, yeah might be. If so im not happy with my mr. funnel because thats what i used to help with the questionable gas we get up here.
    thanks for the reply

The Mr funnel may work great but it won't help you prevent condensation from forming inside your tank. Toss in some iso-heet (red bottle) and see if that cures your problem.

Default heet

I pump my own gas in Kotz - have it delivered from Crowley and have a filter between my gas drum and my pump. Still, if I don't add heet to my vehicles, some of them don't work quite right - especially my ATV - does the same thing you're explaining...usually cuts out at idle too.

Ditto. Plugs don't "unfoul" themselves. Your problem was an intermittent fuel delivery issue. Ice is the most common culprit and it can be self-correcting as the ice melts or is cleared through the system (Iso-HEET is good).

The ice/water is not coming from your fuel source or funnel. It forms inside the tank when there is a temperature change outside and the humidity is up. The moisture comes in through your vent and condensation forms inside the tank. The way to prevent this is to always park the machine with a completely full fuel tank. That leaves no room for moist air to get inside.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

It might be moisture in the fuel but I doubt it. At -20* any moisture is ice and the fuel screen picks that up. I'd look at the throttle position switch. Every Polaris I've owned would garble a little in slow cruise because my hand position is relaxed and I would tend to side load the throttle paddle. Especially when it's cold and I'm trying to keep my hands warm by shifting them around. For Polaris machines that stay outside I always douse the throttle safety with a little iso when I refuel. If it does it again watch to see if any engine lights flash on. Engine condition sensors can be a nuisance.

yeah, i do use heet (the red bottle) but didn't know much about moisture forming while your riding, might be the culprit. Thanks to all! Im also going to look at the throttle position switch like you suggested, my hands were getting cold and shifty. I had an engine light flash and the code was a dissconnected or loose wiring hook up, checked all wires and looked to be alright nothing frayed or dissconnected. I called the dealer and he just said bring it in maybe something wasn't hooked up when they first started it at the shop and was then hooked up later but the sensor picked it up and wasn't cleared. it'll cost a small fortune to send it to anc and back so im not really sure what to do. He said once the code is in the computer it will flash until its cleared off so it'll be really annoying. The machine has only cut out on me once or twice now and only for a minute or two so hopefully the problems aren't related because i dont want my sled in anc for a month.

Is this a new sled? On some of the newer models, they have been having some problems with ECU's, capacitor's, and relay's. Check your ground wire on the chassis make sure it is clean and making good contact. The new machines with CFI meet EPA regs and along with it bring other possibilities for your problem.

yeah, its new. Another possibility is that during and after the break in the manual said there is a preservative or something in the new engine that may cause temporary plug fouling, but i will check the ground thanks.

Default Water in tank, etc

I have been fighting the condensation issue as I keep my RMK in the shop so it's warm. I am going to try one of the water magnets that absorb the water. For $8 how can you go wrong? Another thought on your sled... if Mr. Pid is right (and mine did the same thing) it would cause your plugs to foul as they load up on mixed gas when the spark is intermittent. I disconnected the safety cut-out switch on my throttle lever. I'd rather gamble on a stuck throttle than fight this poorly engineered solution every time I ride.

If you disconnect your throttle safety you should add a tether kill switch. An unmanned snowgo with a stuck throttle is a danger to everyone around you.

Depending on the year, RMKs were famous for getting water in the carbs by the headlight. It would follow the self that is below the headlight, which is right about the air box. The water wicks you put in your gas tank work good if you let your machine sit for any length of time.

Default Source...

... for the moisture wicks? I remember using these in the 90s ad they didn't seem to be particularly effective. Maybe they are better now.

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    yeah, its new. Another possibility is that during and after the break in the manual said there is a preservative or something in the new engine that may cause temporary plug fouling, but i will check the ground thanks.
    I have two CFI Polaris sleds 2007 Dragon 700 RMK and a 2010 600 RMK. If this was your first tank of gas, the dealer added oil to the tank (part of the dealer prep required by Polaris). This oil is added to ensure there is oil going to the engine in case the oil pump has any bubbles in the line for the injection. A new 2-stroke needs a little break-in time to seat the rings, etc and the plugs will look oily due to the extra oil. You may have a few bogging issues during this time, but it sould clear up and run strong after a proper break-in. The CFI 600 is one of the best Polaris engines out there.

Look on the SnoWest forum under the Polaris IQ section for tons of info on your sled. http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/

thanks morsno, thats what im thinking might be it. I also added oil to the first tank as specified in the manual. Im not familiar with the moisture wicks and have never heard anything about them can somebody that uses them vouche for how well they work? Im going to check out the throttle switch in a day or two when its not a wind chill of -40 outside. Thanks again for all your help and input its greatly appreciated. Its nice to have great info coming from so many sources.