Thread: Someone had a bad day!

Default Someone had a bad day!

I ran across this story a while ago one the stateside forums. The short version is that someone bought this 63' Bertram new for around $3M and hired a captian to transport it down the east coast in November. What really happened is up in the air, but it broke up and is now on the bottom. Rumor has it there was no transport insurance, so it is not covered. I don't care how much money you have, thats gotta hurt.

Here are pictures of it on the bottom:

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/ge...ram-630-a.html

And a couple of threads with the details as well as endless speculation as to what happened:

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/ge...-sc-coast.html

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...ina-coast.html
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Default Answers

From the pics. I would say find the anchor find the answers.
    It looks to me like the boat was under way at speed and the anchor was dropped. The anchor hung and drug the boat under at the same time tearing it out of the boat.
    Insurance should have been in the pre-requsit questions and documents provided by the crew doing the transport.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

3MIL boat and no insurance? Yeah..you cant even leave the lot with a $30k truck let alone a 3MIL boat.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

i guess owners paid in cash, and hired someone to mve it to florida to ship it overseas.... now its under them.. hehe that sucks, yeah how come no insurance, moron. glad the captian made it out, and if that captain, dropped anchore at 25knots... ohh shoot..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

If it were the bow anchor, then how do you explain the entire transom being ripped off as well? And what ripped the rudder out? I have a hard time believing that the anchor line (the weak link) could transfer enough force from the ocean floor at a depth of 80' back up to a 63' boat and cause that much damage. I could see busting stuff off the bow just before the line breaks, but not the kind of damage those pictures show.

The real question is... what does the captain have to say about it? After all, he was a witness!
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

i dont know my boats ,, but whats say ... anchor came off (ripping hole,) chain wrapped around prop and ripped transom clean, ? who knows,.. i think the Captain has some 'slainin to do.. there's no way the bouy ripped it off... interesting to say the least..

can you image the captain though... look in front and see a mattress floating out of the boat, look back and no rear of the boat..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Somewhere in there they had the captians statement and he said something like the bow just collapsed as they came off a wave. I don't think it was too rough either.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

The amount of damage is just amazing. I would love to hear how the bow fell apart as well as the transom falling completely off.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Default ?

About as believable as telling your 5th grade teacher "a goat ate your homework".
    Mike