Thread: Raising chickens in Fairbanks?

Question Raising chickens in Fairbanks?

Looking to have a few possibly when we get to Fairbanks if feasible. Ideas? My grandmother is an old PA. farm girl who used to raise chickens in PA. and cautioned about chickens need human level comfort warmth, grit and feed. At this point that's all I know...Thanks!

An abandoned house down the road from me has a chicken coop, they had Red heat lamps and an insulated coop. A small door to the outside with ramp was about 4" thick and controlled with a rope pulley to let the chickens in and out. The main door was a standard insulated exterior door. The place is for sale and I looked at it when I was getting pictures for a friend interested in purchasing land.

The feed store off of College Road usually has a chick barn in the spring for those interested in purchasing. Alaska Feed - 451-5570. They may be able to help answer more of your questions or give you ideas.

A few co-workers have 'em and state that as long as you keep 'em warm, they're happy.

HTH

Bill

Default Chicken

I have a friend who raises chickens every year. Buys in spring and puts them in the freezer in the fall. They aren't any cheaper this way, you just know what your family is eating.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Chickens can be raised in interior Alaska. They do best when the temp is kept above 32F, but they can live at temps much lower than this. If you want eggs you are going to have to experiment with artificial light.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Has anyone had problems with predators coming after the chickens? If so, what do you use?

We were raising about 50 one year in a pen and went out the next morning when there was a heck of a rucous going on, and it ended up being a weasal got in there and they all bunched up and about half of them suffacated before we could dispatch of the little varrmint.

The wild animals are something to watch out for.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by THE_HUNTERIAM View Post
    Has anyone had problems with predators coming after the chickens? If so, what do you use?
    COVER THE PEN... the raven will eat all young fledgling. snip there lil heads right off they do and leave all the bones in the wire... they can clean up 200-300 lil birds in one weekend away.

they will also enter the hen house steal eggs

they will gang up on the rooster

they will attack young ducklings and gosling. get a raven prolem it dont go away they just find new ways to get in. came down to chail link fence and camo netting on top.. and trapps on every post top.. they are VERY smart birds.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default years ago

we raised chickens , like has been said your n ot saving money , so it is for the meat and the piece of mind , that's all .
    You need to acquire books on chickens , they are all over. There are llike any live stock , and have health needs and social mentalitys to deal with . this is particularly true in configned coops.
    IN open areas of course the preditors including flying ones are looking for these taste treets too.
    Your not going to hide their presents , the manuer alone is a dinner call to all in range of the aroma.
    we had rattle snakes and wild cats after those birds. You just didn't go out with out the gun .
    Do you self a big favor and DON'T NAME THEM. they are not pets they are food.
    If I can find the books we had I'll let you know .

My wife read this and said she is naming them and never ever leaving the cabin. She will stare at them to make sure they are safe! lol Anybody raise goats up there too? I always wanted a pet goat, quite random yes.

People have goats all over Alaska. They do fine with proper shelter.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

There's a guy down here that went to jail and set his goats out on an island and they lived and may still be alive.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.