Thread: Black Bear Hunting on Prince Edward Island - Total Newbs from Oklahoma

Default Black Bear Hunting on Prince Edward Island - Total Newbs from Oklahoma

<<Edit>> *wince* Prince of Wales Island rather

Okay, I realize my title may not leave the best first impression - but I'm not going to sugarcoat what I want to do.

My brother & I are planning on working at Glacier Bay over the summer. I had this wild idea of doing some kyaking while we were down there. One thing led to another, and I eventually stumbled across Prince Edward Island. I've done most of my research this afternoon, and it has led me to understand that

A - Non-residents are allowed to hunt black bears without a guide.
    B - Prince Edward Island is open for Black Bear Hunting.
    C - I can fly into Ketchikan, hop over to the Island, rent a Kayak and use cabins the NPS keeps up.

All that said, I'm looking for a good starting point for somebody who has never experienced Alaska. I've done some backpacking in Yellowstone, and I'm pretty fit, (did a 24 hour 52 mile hike a few months ago) - but after being caught on the Teton lake during a storm, I have a whole new level of appreciation for the fact that the elements can kill you if you aren't careful...and from what I've read on Alaska, the elements WILL kill you if you aren't careful.

Anybody here ever done what I'm talking about? Would it be absolutly moronic for somebody who has never experienced Alaska to try to do this?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well the good news is that Prince of wales and ketchikan are not....really ... like well,- REAL! Alaska...

they are south east almost Seattle.

but your in-luck we do have a member Kingfisherktn who lives down there in almost AK ketchikan, and that if you PM( private message) him... will set ya right up or at least steer you better.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default why POW Island

if your going to working in the northern panhandle .... why plan a hunt in the southern panhandle?

plan your hunt up around the Glacier Bay area.

Only place I found around Glacier Bay with Government land was in the extreme southern part, (Dry Bay) & I couldn't really find any as much information on the net as to how to get there, or other people who'd hunted it. I may not have looked hard enough though.

Default hunting the northern panhandle

since it's not my area ... I don't know alot ... but do know some ...

look at Gustavus / Haines / Skagway / All of Lynn Canal / Juneau area ....

all that part of Unit 1 has Black Bear .... most is Tongass National forest with some sizable chunks of AK state lands ... all huntable.

Muskeg guides on PEI he'll give you good advice.

Default PEI

but if your really set on hunting Prince Edward Island ....

there are big Bear there also !!!!!!

Default Practice...

Quote Originally Posted by rdnkjdi View Post
    <<Edit>> ... after being caught on the Teton lake during a storm, I have a whole new level of appreciation for the fact that the elements can kill you if you aren't careful...and from what I've read on Alaska, the elements WILL kill you if you aren't careful...
    It's tough on these forums not knowing the background of the original poster. Apologies if you're seasoned in both kayaking and wilderness travel, both areas where your trip might be open to hazards. In a still waters safety course a couple years ago, we learned that many never practice water recovery after leaving kayak. If you cannot right and re-enter your kayak (loaded with gear), this will complicate your trip. In our course, most would wear dry suits for this reason. A friend who took a different kayaking course here told me that experienced kayakers have been found inverted and drowned with no evident attempt to remove the spray skirt - thought due to the reflex inhalation and rapid consequent drowning that can occur with sudden cold-water immersion. Before considering such a trip, it might be worth evaluating/preparing for the potential cold-water kayaking and wilderness travel aspects because you will have to be self-reliant if there's a problem. The kayaking forum here might be worth a post or two to learn more from veterans there too. Recovering and loading your loaded kayak is something you could practice in warmer waters.

Good luck.

Default talk to biologist in juneau

I would try the biologists in juneau and probe them for info. I do know that there are a few bears just outside the park boundary. Why not stay in Gustavus and hunt out of there??? You'll probably have met some folks and gained more info by the end of the summer. BTW--What will you guys be doing in Glacier/??