Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Deshka Landing Trails Report 12/17/09

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Willow, Alaska
    Posts
    142

    Default Deshka Landing Trails Report 12/17/09

    Trails Report
    Please make good decisions based off of your experience and knowledge. Conditions change by the minutes and hours, so please use this information as another resource to help you plan your outing safely. Your safety is ultimately your responsibility. This information is for recreational use. This report should not be used to substitute for your own knowledge and decision making ability. The DLOA LLC and those submitting the information will not be held responsible for any losses, damage, or personal injury that may occur while using this information.



    Date:

    12/18/09

    Reported By:

    DLOA Office
    Do you have helpful information on the conditions of the trails?
    Submit it here: User Trails Report

    Temperatures:

    The last few days we have had highs in the single digits. Lows have been in the single negatives.
    Weather History



    Snow Depth At Landing Parking Lot:

    Over the past 36 hours we have received about 4-5" of new snow. The snow is somewhat more compactable than the dry show we have been receiving to start the winter off.

    Trail Conditions:

    Most of the main trails have been groomed and staked. The ride on the Su is a little rough due to the lack of a huge amount of snow cover, however the addition of 4-5" on Wed-Thurs will help out greatly.. The trails go around the usual open leads. Some guys have pulled some light fuel sleds and supply sleds, but it is a tough ride until further up on the Yentna. There have not been many riders out from Tuesday-Thursday.

    Lodge Reports:

    Alaska Backcountry Tours-


    McDougall Lodge-

    Talvista Lodge-


    Other Comments:

    Gas available 24/7 with V/MC
    Gate access 24/7 with V/MC
    Office Hours: 9:00 am- 5:00 pm Monday-Friday, 8:00am-4:00pm Saturday, 9:00 am- 5:00 pm Sunday


    Submit Your Report!
    I Sled Out of Deshka Landing User Trails Report

    (907) 495-3374 WWW.DESHKALANDING.COM

  2. #2
    Member EagleRiverDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    725

    Default

    We rode from Deshka landing up to Luces yesterday (Sunday, Dec. 20). The snow is sparse until you get to the Yentna, for the most part, but the trail is in excellent shape. We found a good powder field on the Kroto trail. We played a bit up Fish Creek, which has enough snow to make it fun, and then went on up the Yentna. The best snow we found was just outside Luces, probably 3 feet deep of forgiving powder.

    Thanks to everyone who grooms the trails and places the markers. FYI- there is a good sized "hole" where the ice has collapsed about 4 feet just off the trail on the right a few minutes before Luces. No open water, just a big drop off. We helped one fellow get unstuck from his hole and I made the unfortunate decision to park right behind him. As soon as I started moving the snow I was on collapsed and I made a new hole of my own. Keep an eye out!
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

  3. #3

    Default

    EagleRiverDee were you the one with the pink camo skidoo parked at Luce's?

  4. #4
    Member EagleRiverDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    725

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    EagleRiverDee were you the one with the pink camo skidoo parked at Luce's?
    Nope, I ride a plain old black one. I didn't see the Pink camo sled, they must have been there before or after us. I think we hit Luce's about 1pm, maybe a bit later.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

  5. #5

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    EagleRiverDee were you the one with the pink camo skidoo parked at Luce's?
    I caution you: DON'T mess with the "pink camo skidoo". That guy is meaner than a snake.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •