Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer Waste Article

Default Deer Waste Article

In today's daily snooze...

http://www.adn.com/outdoors/hunting/story/1060859.html

This makes me so mad..... why is it a few low brow, dumb ass, ingrate, lazy, scumbags can do this??? this tarnishes our whole community of ethical and responsbile hunters.... I hope they find these guys and string them up by their toenails.

Greg

Ya beat me to it. I'm betting those folks from Point Hope came down a done it.

Default Maybe

These may be some more of the deer herd with "Mad Deer" disease and the meat wasn't edible !! They just didn't wan't to carry any diseased meat home to the family.
    Wanton Waste "ENFORCEMENT" is the key.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Thumbs down happens everwhere

this stuff happens everywhere, some were caught in south carolina, only taking antlers and leaving whole animal laying for the buzzards, caught a group killing our blackbear just for the gall bladder and the front paws to send to far eastlet the bear laying with her cubs beside her dead, that was in north carolina two weeks ago
    down here in north carolina in summertime when deer are in velvet they spot light deer just for the antlers goes to far east.

in north carolina the wildlife people have restocked out mountians with elk, heard is getting to be a nice size, guy killed a great big bull several weeks ago and left it laying, said the elk was on his land and it was his

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Ya beat me to it. I'm betting those folks from Point Hope came down a done it.
    i think we need to be a little more careful in our compairsons... there have been enough hard feelings with in our ranks and different social groups to stir that pot again. point hope and sitka are two entirely different areas and with different back grounds..

like was just mentioned above.. there are slobs every where it needs to be dwelt with accordingly.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Agreed

Vince you hit the nail on the head every case has it's own merits and circumstances. However in order to prohibit the continuation of this type of behavior the proper authorities should prosecute the offenders, harshly.
    Wanton Waste should be a very serious offense, not something that is done to appease the other hunters.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I in no way agree with what they did. It actually makes me very mad that someone would waste good meat.

I came home skunked from the 40 mile winter hunt a couple years ago. The next day when I hit the local transfer station, two whole caribou were in the trash. I reported the incident and never heard a word. Caribou went with the weekly trash run.

I also found a freezer full of grouse and ptarmigan, some breasts, mostly whole birds, some were skinned. I am saying hundreds of birds! I reported the incident. Wildlife officials called back a week later asking for details. The freezer and all were gone with the weekly trash run. Nothing like timely action.

Yep I'm just trying to show every group has folks that will do this and they are a blight on everyone

Whada ya know........
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by AkGreg View Post
    In today's daily snooze...

http://www.adn.com/outdoors/hunting/story/1060859.html

This makes me so mad.....this tarnishes our whole community of ethical and responsbile hunters....

Greg
    Scenarios like this can become overwhelming to responsible hunters. Responsible hunters do all they can to create a positive impression on the sport and its participants and then some numskull/s make the news with illegal and immoral behavior. I hope this is a reminder that what we do all the time is being watched and that each of us will strive to make as positive an impact as we can on as many people as we can. Responsible hunters must stand together and denounce such actions as illegal and wrong which are not always the same thing, but most certainly are in this case.

Default Don't expect much

If the results of the Point Hope case are any indication, these people, if they are every caught, will get a fine of about $50 and be allowed to retain their hunting license (if they even had one in the first place).

Hopefully I am wrong and they actually go after these guys and make it count, but I am seriously doubtful.

That is the result of the whack and stack beach killing.

I'm sure those guys killed more than they were willing to process. I'm sure if the troops looked hard enough, they'd find plenty more.

Default Gee...

Was hopin' that we'd stay away from the blame game...but I guess some still never learn...

If the results of the Point Hope case are any indication, these people, if they are every caught, will get a fine of about $50 and be allowed to retain their hunting license (if they even had one in the first place).

Hopefully I am wrong and they actually go after these guys and make it count, but I am seriously doubtful.
    Ya, and that's a &^%$ joke too. You'd get fined more for not logging your king salmon stamp than some of this other joker stuff. Doesn't make sense. I saw the deer article in the ADN...almost posted it and thought...why.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

It coulda very well been some of the local yokle Iowa boys up there for a visit. We found a dozen whitetails last year minus only the loins and hind quarters! My point is there are idjuts everywhere and they all reflect poorly on the ethical hunters everywhere in the eyes of the anti society.

Three years ago I logged over 100 hours sitting in a tree with bow in hand with one very special buck in mind. This buck had a very defining scar shaped like a check mark on his left hind quarter and a rack bigger than any on my wall. He ended up bushwacked with a rifle and his huge body minus head was found laying on the trail 100 yards from the road. The same trail I watched him stroll down on dozens of preseason scouting trips. I have been madder than hell for three years and this thread just got me all stirred up again!

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    ...almost posted it and thought...why.
    I had the same thought when I read it, but I was going to go ahead with the post until I saw someone beat me to it. The "why" is a good question, though. Stories like this make hunters look bad and discussing it here often leads to some heated arguments. That being said, I guess my hope is that with enough public condemnation of these actions, some new hunter here will think twice before leaving that last load of moose meat when he's completely wiped after a day and a half of packing. If it makes someone think twice about wasting that neck, brisket, or calf meat because they don't want to be the cause of such a story, then I figure it's worth discussing.

Especially at this time of year, I'm sure someone would have appreciated the meat donation if these wasteful hunters didn't want the meat.

Default public talk of waste of wildlife

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I had the same thought ...
    ...I guess my hope is that with enough public condemnation of these actions, some new hunter here will think twice before ...
    I agree; more discussion on this is better than less.

Only a few more weeks to submit your two cents worth on the current BOG proposals. Consider sending some of your viewpoint on this subject of waste that direction by submitting feedback back to the Board of Game- they have asked you for it.

Proposal 42 listed there takes a very anti-waste stance, but also comes with a two built in safety nets:

- Paragraph 3 suggests it might be best for the definition of "waste" be left up to local interpretation. In that case any community could continue to do whatever they thought was right - they'd just have to at some point be public with what that stance is.

- Any activity that should rightly happen that violates what Prop 42 proposes could easily be excepted from its requirement; as said in its second from the last paragraph.

I am thinking that this proposal shouldn't start immediately, so as to not hurt any people's rightful acts - should it come into force 1/1 2012, say?

Also, it isn't apparent in BOG's publication of this proposal 42, but this proposal talks to fisheries too, as written, and on its original form as sent to F&G it did specify with its checkboxes that the identical proposal should be sent to BOF too. Looks like those against it get to fight it twice. OK, well, that's more discussion...

Default Psychic

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    That is the result of the whack and stack beach killing.
    Wow, you solved the case with absolutely no evidence! Better call the troopers with your theory when they get ready to call in a psychic to solve the case.

You may or may not be right, It could have been somebody driving on the road system came across some deer herded up too. Doesn't matter how it happened tho, whoever did it has no business hunting. The killing wasn't the bad part unless that was done illegally. The dumping without salvaging is the crime. The story mentioned kill sites, so maybe the troopers have some evidence. The writer of the story may have mistaken dump site for kill site too.

But to use this incident however it happened to denigrate people who legally beach hunt and make use of all the meat is just typical of the way you like to argue. Throw out something you have no proof of, use it to attack someone, then sit back and watch the fireworks, and play innocent.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Default my guess is light hunting

My best guess is light hunting by these dirt bags. In the 80's I was a DF&G law enforcement officer in FLa. , this stuff happened there as it does everywhere. I don't remember flying a patrol at night that I didn't see at least one spotlighter, discouraging the lack of respect for right and wrong. In my opion anyone that knows about it and doesn't turn them in is just as guilty.

Default slippery slope

Wow we've gone down the slippery slope with this one. Spotlighting? Trophy Poaching? Bad Beach Hunting?

Honestly, we don't know how law enforcement is reading this situation. Choice cuts? Well that could be everything but the neck meat. Maybe they left the ribs. I don't know.

The local bear fortress takes carcasses and a worker there said they had too many donated this year and were dumping em in the creek and other areas. Maybe thats what these carcasses are? We don't know yet.

I personally take my deer carcass out-to-sea. The remnants fit within a 5 gallon bucket with a skull, spine, pelvis, leg bones, and trimmings. Unless I'm backpacking.

The best thing we can do is educate our fellows on how much work is required to fully process game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast