Thread: Phantom Sport Jon - Clean & Paint interior/exterior or not??

Default Phantom Sport Jon - Clean & Paint interior/exterior or not??

I'm considering buying a used Phantom Sport Jon which is all aluminum and not painted inside and out. After searching the forums, I am lacking enough data to determine if I should use a product such as Sharkhide and clean the exterior every few years leaving the rest alone risking black marks and the like or if I should look into having the boat painted inside and out.

Has anyone took on a project such as this? Is it worth the hassle? How much effort would using a product like Sharkhide be and has anyone ordered any from Juneau? I read its only recommended for smaller jobs. Any idea who is best in town to talk to if I do decide to paint the boat and what estimated cost this may be?

Thanks in advance.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Paint on a riverboat that you intend to use will just get scratched up. Leave it bare and you will thank yourself unless you are trying to make a showboat that looks good behind the truck. They look much better bare than with paint that is all scratched up.

Yep...Independent research says the same thing. Of the 15 people I've talked with, only 1 supported painting the boat. This will be a work horse, not a show boat. With that said, just about everyone did ask and/or recommend I spray the interior with some type of bed liner though. I'm going to put some time in first to see if its really needed.

Thanks for your reply.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post
    This will be a work horse, not a show boat.
    looks like you've just answered your own question...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

You might consider wrapping it with vinyl if you are just trying to dress it up and protect the new look a little longer. Vinyl is easy to replace and relatively inexpensive and you don't need to have a paint booth/painter/etc..
    I have a buddy that fust wrapped his and it looks great.
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Frankly, the concern was more of my wife's than mine and being the good husband I am, I wanted to seek an answer to stay in good standing and keep my kitchen pass 'open ended' during hunting and fishing season (with large price tags, she likes things to shine to justify the price tag). Later, after some use, I will weigh my options regarding Zolatone Interior Paint or something equivalent.