Thread: Here's one for the barrel break in fellas.

Los Anchorage

Default Here's one for the barrel break in fellas.

First off let me say that I am not a proponent of rifle barrel break in, I don't think its worth my time, if you want to do it I say have at it. So moving onward, since it takes a while for copper fouling to build up to an appreciable degree and that seems to be the main thing the break in crowd wants to sidestep, could the break in process possibly be better put to work breaking in handgun barrels?

What I'm thinking is that with a big bore revolver more people are shooting lead bullets, and lead fouling seems to build up and degrade accuracy quicker than copper fouling. So would the sore elbows not be put to better use by breaking in your revolver barrels?

Just a thought, I know I would much rather deeal with copper fouling than scrub a badly leaded bore.

I like threads that appear to have intentions of stirring the pot a bit. Some of the best threads have been of that nature. However Kid...I gotta sing the same song your singing. I have never taken any measures to "break in" a barrel in my life and I'm not regretting it either. Then again I'm not someone that expects my guns to shoot minute of frog balls either.

Smile well...

I thought we always sent a couple of hundred jacketed rounds down our hand gun barrel, followed by a good JB and Kroil oil scrubbing before we sent the lead bullets down the barrel.

Excessive lead fowling means something is not right. Like the size of the boolits, to hard a boolit for the velocity = not enough obturation. Or maybe an issue with lube or too small of cylinder throats swaging the boolit before it hits the barrel. Either way, hot gasses slipping pas the boolit acts like a torch and melts the lead, "welding" it to the barrel. If a guy deals with the main problem it'll save a lot of elbow grease.

Any of you use a Lewis lead remover? I used to use one when I was shooting a 44 and 41 a lot. I have not seen mine in years, I think I will try to find mine. It should be put up in storage some where. I have not shot my revolver much in the last few years so there may be a better way to remove lead fouling out now.