Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry of a S&W J-frame

Default Concealed Carry of a S&W J-frame

I have been looking at the different holster options for concealed carry of a Smith & Wesson J-frame - specifically the model 36 classic:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...t_category_rn=

For those that carry a J-frame or a similar sized snub revolver, what have you found to be a good holster for concealed carry?

Right now I am leaning towards inside the waistband, but not sold on it 100% yet.

Default Mine's a K

During the winter if I'm toting my 3" K frame I usually just button it in my coat pocket. Of course if you are wearing a lighter jacket or one with smaller pockets this wouldn't work. I used to carry in a Galco belt slide and foound it very comfortable and hideable if you dont wear your shirt tucked in.

For years I carried a J frame .357 in a Strong high ride holster. It wasn't an inside the waist band holster, but it road high enough that a polo shirt or untucked work shirt easily covered it. It was by far much more comfortable than an IWB holster.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I carried one on and off for 20 years. I tried the ankle holster route and decided that was no good. Everybody saw the bump and it was hard to get out.

I had a S&W bodyguard (humpback) that eventually ended up in a couple jacket's inside a small zippered lining pocket. Nobody ever saw that.

I also carried a S&W M19 2.5in 357 mag in a high ride strong side holster. The problem being that short jackets would sometimes let it be seen. But it was better than a shoulder holster which eventually gives you a neck ache..and requires you to unzip your jacket to draw your weapon...
    The inside the waistband thing worked OK when I had to wear my court suit, but after long periods it seemed like it was digging into my side.

I also tried carrying in the small of my back, (inside the waist band) but you have to make sure you do not slip on the ice... I did and it busted out part of my spine. Which eventually lead to spine surgery...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default a tough one...

My 640 goes in a pocket. Once in a while it goes in the Kramer T-shirt that has a pocket in the shirt. I have an old "wallet holster" that I have used off and on, it breaks up the out line of the gun, but is slow to get into action for me. IWB holsters don't work well for me if the barrel is below 3". Just not enough length to keep it down the pants.

Default high-noon

I have a high-noon 'closing argument' (I think) tuckable IWB for my 642-CT that I find comfortable enough at appendix carry. It would be even better if I could get some air out of my spare tire.

The problem is (a) they are expensive and (b) at the time they were back ordered 4 or 5 months.

Bill

Default I put it

in my coat pocket. It's a pocket pistol.

Default +1 for pocket

I carry in my front pants pocket. Have for years and prefer it over other modes with my 640 Centennial as I don't have a hammer to worry about.
    Galco, DeSantis, Mitch Rosen as well as most others all have pocket holsters for J-frames.
    The 36 2in in case-color would be sweet!

Default Conceal carry

http://www.productwizard.com/galcoho...waistpack.html

I currently use this for all of my small frame semi's and cylinder applications. Carry's my wallet and other essentials as well as security like holster mounts the gun with a quick draw emergency access if an emergency arises. Closed it looks like a binocular case.

Neal

Quote Originally Posted by e45colt View Post
    I carry in my front pants pocket. Have for years and prefer it over other modes with my 640 Centennial as I don't have a hammer to worry about.
    Galco, DeSantis, Mitch Rosen as well as most others all have pocket holsters for J-frames.
    The 36 2in in case-color would be sweet!
    That case-color is pretty nice but my mind is set on the nickel version.

I was able to fire a couple different models of j-frames that friends own and found out what I like. There are lighter versions of the j-frame out there. After firing a number of them, I found I like the added weight of the all-steel model 36 over a lot of the light and superlight versions out there. I would rather carry a few more ounces and be able to make faster followup shots.

I plan on getting a set of Tyler T-grips on it as well. The T-grips feel very nice in hand with the old style slab S&W grips and aid a lot in controlling recoil. Plus it gives it a nice retro look.

I have been search a number of other firearms forums and it seems that this topic gets a lot of discussion. I like to know what other fellow Alaskans think though.

I think I may end up getting both a quality IWB and pocket holster. I can see how I would use both depending on what I am wearing and the current season. IWB might work when you only have a t-shirt or sweatshirt on but in the middle of winter with a heavy coat on, the pocket carry makes more sense to me. I have carried IWB before in winter and found it is rather hard to get a firearm in action in any kind of hurry. You can simply carry the revolver in an outside coat pocket and then slip it into a pant pocket when you take the coat off for easy access with or without the coat.

I generally use one of two pocket holsters: either a Mika (http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/) or a Safailand Model 25 (http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=25). The Desantis Nemesis is good also.

If you want a leather pocket holster there are many good ones, from a Desantis or Galco that are decent up to a Milt Sparks, Rosen, or other custom makers that will cost much more, be extraordinarily well crafted, and might take up to 6 months to receive.

As you said, the pocket holster allows you to carry in your winter coat pocket and then transfer that to a pants or vest pocket when you go inside.

my mp 340 fits in a desantis pocket holster. i carry it in my inside coat pocket which i have on all day working. if i wear something else you can just grab and slide into anther pocket. not the quickest draw, but it is better than not having it on me. i don't know if i would wear a holster on my belt all of the time because of comfort, so i guess slow draw is better than no draw.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dirtpig67 View Post
    I have been looking at the different holster options for concealed carry of a Smith & Wesson J-frame - specifically the model 36 classic:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...t_category_rn=

For those that carry a J-frame or a similar sized snub revolver, what have you found to be a good holster for concealed carry?

Right now I am leaning towards inside the waistband, but not sold on it 100% yet.
    I agree... I'd say this particular model is not the best bet for a 'pocket-gun'

Why? IT HAS AN EXPOSED HAMMER.

What if your self defense situation occurs in seconds --- You find yourself now seconds behind the time-curve & there's not that cock the revolver, aim, then shoot the way you plink targets down at the range. This is no target revolver anyway. Cocked revolvers are a poor choice in close quarter adrenaline-filled situations that may lead to accidental shootings. For the most part... there isn't a self defense scenario for where single action (pulling the hammer back and firing) is too applicable at the distances that 'pocket-guns' are most effective.

One thing here in Alaska tho' could be a positive side to the gun you are talking... this is in a hunting/survival/in the field situation where taking better aim could do some good. A good example certainly better for this kind of thing than the gun you posted would be a J-frame 3" model 60 w/ adjustable sights.

All the way around - much better off toting the big city, driving, or at home with the concealable J-frame in a DAO snag-free configuration.

I feel that one of the finest is the Airweight 642 (my carry of choice) or the 640. These require no holsters... pocket or purse will do.

Let's face it --- we get things out of our pockets (coats, pants, etc.) every day... familiar territory. Most of us do not draw from holsters routinely... so unless you need the retention - waste of time and $$$ on a 'pocket gun' unless you plan on practicing w/ your system.

try ankle or pocket or belt or vest typle carry .. i carry my in the pocket of winter jacket so if i have in my hand when walking from the car to the store or house at night time or other time i might think it warrants it for the carry that way ..

Is the J frame going to be your primary carry handgun, or a backup? I carry a 340SC in my front left pants pocket in a variety of pocket holsters made by Milt Sparks and PCS as a back up gun. If I am in a very difficult carry environment where I can not wear a cover garment then I will throw it in my right pocket as a primary.

If I was going to carry a J frame soley as my primary and could wear a cover garment then I would go with a Sparks Summer Special for IWB or a Sparks PKM for on the belt.

I carry my j frame model 642 w/laser grips either in a DeSantis Nemesis™ pocket holster or a Galco Ankle Holster.

When in the pocket holster it's usually inside a jacket or pants pocket. The pocket holster keeps the gun oriented in my pocket and keeps crud out of the gun. I also think it's important to keep the trigger covered. Don't want any negligent discharges even with such a heavy trigger pull.

The ankle holster is used either as a backup or as a primary when other carry modes don't seem practical at the moment. I don't think people see the ankle holster when carrying this way. I wear regular jeans mostly or other pants that are not tight around the ankle. The holster has a snap thumb break and I do practice getting the gun out quickly.

When running I often carry the same 642 in a fanny pack by Galco.

I have quality IWB holsters for a couple of other guns, but not for the snubby yet.

Default SOB

I carried the Lady Smith and later a 360PD in a small of back holster, but not in the small of my back. It really felt right, I guess you would call it in the kidney position. I wore out a Galco SOB. Never could do the IWB thing, although I have tried on several different guns. If you do the belt holster, just make sure you get a good supporting (gun) belt. Makes all the difference. Good luck!

I've got Milt Sparks pocket holster I carry my 340 PD in my front pants pocket. It's a neat thing that this is where I carry it all year round regardless of the season, it just never changes the position of the carry.

Maybe it just me but I found that I'm always wearing pants no matter where I go.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

642 or 442 in a Milt Sparks PCR. Works in slacks, in a jacket, whatever.

J-Frame is a pocket gun. If you can handle/conceal a waistband holster, you can carry more gun.

DO NOT carry anything else in the pocket with the gun.

Do not carry in a pocket with no holster if there is any possibility of anything hanging up on the trigger. Once read about a guy who absentmindedly slipped his car keys in on top of an unholstered gun. Went to get the keys and tugged on the keys which had gotten the keyring around the trigger. Result was an AD.

Triggers need to be covered by holsters. Holsters also help reduce the amount of lint and crap that finds its way into the gun.

PS, get the 642 or 442 without the lock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast