Thread: Volunteer efforts at Kasilof

Default Volunteer efforts at Kasilof

I think the idea of a volunteer effort putting up signs and the potential for dune protection via temporary barriers is gaining ground. So I thought I would start a new thread so we can keep people informed as the winter rolls along.

I am going to talk to ADF&G next week but may have to wait until after the first of the year as people take time off.

I also understand that others are working on this (Ken F.) and that is great.

Default copied from another thread...

This is the deal...
    I have contacted Adam Smith of the south central region of the state division of mining, land and water for assistance. He is actually the "man" to contact when it comes to the Kasilof. Will post when he gets back with me on the legality of such measures and... his take on temporary fencing to stop vehicle traffic. Also asked him about what he needs from the legislature to keep the dumpsters and port-a-potties running at Kasilof. Stay tuned for further updates!!!

Just thought I would add this. Already we have the Kenai Watershead forum interested on helping out. SCADA too. Looks like we might have traction, Houston!!
    Anybody else wanting to put their name on a list to help, please PM me and I will put you on my e-mail list. Thanks...
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

I will publicly volunteer my help.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default JOAT, you forgot...

You already volunteered on another thread. Got you on the list
    Thanks, by the way!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Default talked to local ADF&G office

I talked to Sport Fish Division today at the local Soldotna office. It was an interesting but somewhat disappointing conversation. From their perspective there is no money to help unless regulations are in place to enforce no camping on the dunes or some of the other issues. I found this upsetting since ADF&G and the BOF creates fisheries that have infrastructure and habitat problems and then walks away from them. No leadership in ADF&G to tackle these problems. It is not a local biologist issue it is a leadership issue at the middle and top.

So I called the Kenai Watershed Forum and asked them to facilate a meeting between the dip netter association, the various land owners, and the state and local governments to define the steps that are needed to get something done. The Watershed Forum was very positiive about this and said that is what they do.

So after the Holidays I am going to get with them and identify when, where, and who should attend. I know Ken F. will be part of the package but it there are others interested send me a PM.

I guess we cannot expect the State to provide leadership so we must do it and get them to agreed. Sorry state of affairs but that is the present climate we find ourselves in. I just wonder how a biologist at the Director level or middle management lost their environmental ethic of resource protection first.

I am going to remain positive that we can do something here I just do not see the State leading on this one.

Default Just Dew It!

Not surprising. The state hasn't shown any leadership thus far, so why start now? They prefer to go slow and waste lots of money on studies anyhow. Kenai had to take care of their own mess and on their own terms.

The more I think about it, the more I find this Kasilof issue to be a win-win for everyone. We, the people, need to take this by the horns and forget about the state. If the private citizens step up, join hands, and manage the issues at the Kasilof before they get any worse, then perhaps we can have some positive effect on the downspiral of public opinion over this entire fishery.

Let's formulate a plan and come June we'll just go do it. We need signage and probably some fencing. The green plastic stuff is super cheap and would be just fine to designate no vehicle access to the grassy dune areas. I'm sure we can come up with an install, remove, and storage plan to only have the stuff up during the dipnet season to save on wear-n-tear.

The guy who owns the commercial property at the end lives down in Washington (north side). We need to contact him and see if there is any chance of getting some assistance from his company. Most companies will help out if they get to include their name on the project.

The Peninsula Clarion and even ADN or some of the TV news outlets in Anchorage could be huge allies in this cause. Publicity can make or break a volunteer effort.

KPB property maps should show the right of way layout for the road (north). I'm wondering how much wiggle room there is along the section where the cabin used to be. If the ROW allows, I wonder if we can find a heavy equipment guy and someone with a couple trucks full of rocks who might be persuaded to come over and widen that last 200 yards of road to allow for adequate parking along both sides. Half the vehicle on the dune problem is caused simply by lack of parking in the area. More parking equals less dune pressure.

You know, there was a lot of bemoaning and defending going on back in July and August. If a quarter of those who were involved in that would step up with donations of time and/or money to this cause, I know we can make drastic, meaningful improvements to this fishery.

Curious that there seems to be only a half dozen folks even talking about this subject anymore. But I guarantee that come next July there will be a couple hundred on here complaining about everything from how stupid it is to clip the tails to how much trash or lack of parking there is. So I say to all those people... Put up or shut up!

Let's fix this thing.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default jOAT, REMIND ME TO GIVE YOU A BIG HUG....

You are right on all accounts. Not many posting but people are reading this thread. Wish they would all jump on the bandwagon. I'm bringing the big guns into play, want more info, PM me. If the state won't volunteer to help, I'll embarrass them into it. In the past three years I have become a master of contacting reporters and getting write-ups on dipnetting. Have not lost that knack and will bring it into play. Don't think the commish wants a no show on saving the dunes, by fish and game. Won't do much for their PR?
    So... I'm still standing by for div. of mining to get back with me. Christmas break might put us behind a week or two, but no problemo. time will tell.
    Nerka, Familyman and others... keep the faith, we will prevail one way or the other.
    On a lighter note, I raise a glass to you guys for the holidays. Have fun with family and enjoy some quite time too. Ken F.

Default protecting the dunes

put me down on your list.
    I would be happy to help install a fence or signs etc.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default Kasilof update.

Just thought I would give an update on movement at the Mouth of the Kasilof. We have a letter written to Governor Parnell, asking the state to formalize their response in regards to Habitat destruction and dumpster/port-a-potties service. So far we have commercial,sports and enviromental organizations signed on. Those at the moment are CIK,KAFC,KPFA,KRSA,KWF,SCADA,AOC and UCIDA. Go ahead I dare you to figure out all those Accronyms. we are going after the Mayor's of Anchorage,Soldotna and Kenai, KPB and MSB. We are also asking all the AC's from Homer to Upper Susitna to weigh in.
    We are asking for short and long term solutions and one point of contact from the state to help make this happen.
    This is NOT about allocation, it is about the habitat loss and water quality issues associated with the summer months of half the state descending on the Peninsula.
    Once we have all groups signed on, more are being solicited as we speak, I will post a link for all to see the letter as written. Not bad for a group of concerned people, I would say. Until then...
    Ken F. SCADA

Thumbs up

Good work!
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Thumbs up Great job!

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    So far we have commercial,sports and enviromental organizations signed on. Those at the moment are CIK,KAFC,KPFA,KRSA,KWF,SCADA,AOC and UCIDA.
    I think its great that so many people that disagree on so many things involving the allocation of the resource now seem to be agreeing on protecting the resource.

You ole snake charmer you. Next think we know, you'll be following in the footsteps of that Wasillan: she-who-used-to-be-famous...

Talking more from the snake charmer...

I would like to thank all organizations that signed on to the letter to the Governor.
    I hope the state sees this as a mandate to fund habitat protection/fencing and dumpster/port-a-potties at the mouth of the Kasilof.
    You can see the letter and all who signed on at www.alaskadipnetting.com.
    This just goes to show that even if most of these organizations fight most of the time over allocation, we all can put our self serving interests aside and do the right thing for the enviroment/habitat.
    Without habitat, we have no resource.
    Thank you again to all Comfishers, Sport/ Personal users, Political, enviromental, private and non-profits that signed on.
    Anyone reading this and would like to help to erect fencing this summer, PM or e-mail me and I will put you on the list. I'm thinking if the state agrees and let's us put up temporary fencing, A post picnic party with beer should be held!!
    A big thank you to Nerka since he did a lot of reaching out to a lot of people, he was knee deep in this too. Thank You.
    Robert Ruffner from Kenai Watershed Forum was asked to lead since he has no allocation bias and did a great job. Time for the state to step up and protect what they started. Will keep y'all posted. Ken F. SCADA

Thumbs up guys, this is big

After many years of helping these areas being something between hot air and mere finger pointing, we have some members here that have made real progress in banding together disparate groups to set aside their differences and agree to work together - on the sole issue of habitat protection.

This is really great to see tangible progress. I am hoping and do believe that this is enough inertia that the state will now step up to the plate and take real action, and allow the many volunteers to take the steps protection-wise that they have offered to do. Even some high schools students are involved as a class project!

Fine job thewhop. We all owe you big. And to the others you coordinated with (they're all listed in the letter).

Default 100 views and... not one volunteer?

I'm just a little suprised that over 100 people have viewed this thread in the past three days and no volunteers have come forward. I thought all you guys cared for the enviroment and habitat and were true sportsmen? So... how come we have so few takers? An afternoon of help and a picnic afterwards, what more could a girl or guy want? Not sure of the dates or other details but it would have been nice to have a few people come forward.
    I'm just a little disappointed in the response.
    That's OK, I'll find extra help in in other ways. I was just at the mindset that people would jump at the chance to do something to mitigate dune damage, since over 30,000 dipnet permits were issued last year, for the Kenai/Kasilof.

Oh well, Time will tell and we still have to see what the state does!

Default I think this effort WILL be well-supported

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    I'm just a little suprised that over 100 people have viewed this thread in the past three days and no volunteers have come forward.
    Maybe it would be a good idea to post the forum names of the guys that have signed up to volunteer so far, right here on this thread. Or add each forum name to your sig line like I did with the fun little Bison coop I've been gathering people for (I stole this idea directly from alaskachuck, whom I've offered to buy a cold beverage for the privilege of using his idea ). Maybe even mention other non-forum members by short-description too, like those KP high school students that have accomplished much for this effort.

Or maybe do that same thing on your SCADA web site? I dunno; just throwing out ideas here, trying to help.

You know that you have my firm commitment to this effort; and others here have also said so too.

Also, whop, a great many forum members are here only to search for what they need here - they read it - then they leave - and no one is looking for dipnetting info while we have many feet of snow on the ground. So it is likely that this effort will gain force as the snow thaws, as our individual salmon freezer caches dwindle, and as we again try to outguess the red's internal schedule - - - as we do every year, eh?

Did you ask for volunteers for a picnic? I had to go back and re-read the last few posts before I saw the picnic offer buried in there.

You already know I'm on the list (so you better host it while I'm in town ), but if you want volunteers for such a thing, you need to wait until May to start advertising and then you need to start a brand new thread announcing dates, locations, details, etc. At that point you'll get your volunteers. You couldn't rely on very many people who commit today to still be committed in mid-June. Most people can't plan that far out.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I would be willing to donate some of my time to the effort. Our annual dipnetting trip is something the kids really look forward to and it is well worth fighting for.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Default Thanks guys... I'm just a little

Let down in the fact that I thought there would be more people throwing their names out there already. OK so I am impatient!!!
    You guys are probably right. Just trying to get this idea out there. When the time is right I intend to have the Clarion put up an ad asking for local imput also. Come on Summer, I'm done with the snow!!!