Thread: Wahoo!!

Default Wahoo!!

YEAH!
    I applied for a job on the slope a month or so ago. I received a call today and did a phone interview. They said they liked what there heard so my application will move on to the next step.

My move to Alaska is getting closer. Man am I excited to get things moving. It will be nice so I can go look at the property I want sooner than expected.

James

good luck dude!

lol...Thank you

Default Job Offer

Yeah!!! I got a job offer to work on the slope. Pay is near what I wanted and its a 2 weeks on and 2weeks off schedule. Finally I can move up to the best state in the nation! I report to Anchorage around the 27th of this month, do two days of training then fly up to the slope.

I'll fly up for the first hitch or two then drive up with my Jeep and bring some stuff. I have a friend who just got married and bought a house in Anchorage so I am going to see if they want to rent me a room for a couple months or so.

Now I can really start looking for land on my 2 weeks off. Yeah I am a happy camper now!

Congrats on the job and the impending move, James! Welcome home!

Default No place like it...

Congratulations!

Thinking back to our move up, here are words I would have considered useful hints:

1. Fleece.
    2. Studs (for your tires!)
    3. Moose (on roads)

Best of luck. Sounds like an excellent job/schedule for you.

James, from a fellow former californian, welcome home! You're going to be amazed at how much better in every way Alaska is.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I grew up in the woods of Tennessee, and ever since moving to AK, I haven't looked back. It's a great place, and I think you'll love it. Congrats!

Thanks guys the encouragement is really appreated. I really look forward to getting out of California. This state is so regulated I might as well be in prison.
    Last year 2009, I had the county tax man come to my office/shop as they were doing a door to door inspection. He said they were looking for things to tax as new laws had been put in place. I about blew a gasket. I had to let them roam around my place taking notes on what I had that they were going to tax. Mind you I pay a tax every year on the equipment in my office and shop....so I never really own it. There are other things that torque me but I don't want to get into that...because I am leaving never to return.

I have lived in Fairbanks before and stupid me I left. But not this time.
    Thanks again...I hope to meet some of you at some point. Plus you guys can help me get back into hunting and fishing (please).

Shoot me a PM when you get up to AK. I am a novice to hunting and fishing up there, but I'd love to get out there and learn with you!

Quote Originally Posted by sthrcave View Post
    Shoot me a PM when you get up to AK. I am a novice to hunting and fishing up there, but I'd love to get out there and learn with you!
    Will do. I'll be getting into Alaska around the 25th of this month then off to the slope. But I will be spending my 1st 2 weeks off in Alaska so I will send you a pm then so we can meet. Are you in Anchorage or Fairbanks?

6XLeech, I am going to buy my artic gear in Anchorage, thinking that the sales people can help me get the proper gear. Thanks for the heads up.

AKsoldier, I am really looking forward to this, I can't wait!

Brian, thanks a bunch. I was looking at your pics earlier. Looks like you could teach me a lot about hunting up there.

You'll be in Alaska before me. I still have about 6 weeks before I get back to Fort Rich from Afghanistan. I haven't been hunting but once in AK, so I'm a novice too. Greatly looking forward to learning though. I had fair luck fishing last summer, and it can only get better. Looking forward to it!

Sthrcave I have hunted before, but never in Alaska and it was in my youth. I have fished in Alaska before and it was the best. As far as the hunting I am looking for someone who will let me (us) tag along and haul meat or what ever in exchange for learning how to skin, quarter etc. Most of my hunting was ducks down in Louisiana, not so much the big game they have here.
    Sounds like a plan to learn together. Stay safe over there and thanks for your service!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
    Sthrcave I have hunted before, but never in Alaska and it was in my youth. I have fished in Alaska before and it was the best. As far as the hunting I am looking for someone who will let me (us) tag along and haul meat or what ever in exchange for learning how to skin, quarter etc. Most of my hunting was ducks down in Louisiana, not so much the big game they have here.
    Sounds like a plan to learn together. Stay safe over there and thanks for your service!
    Sounds good. I'll shoot you an e-mail when we get back and we'll get something together.