Thread: hunting clothes for kids?

Default hunting clothes for kids?

Where have you found good hunting garments for you kids? Hats, gloves, long johns, footwear, etc?

How have you balanced quality vs price due to grouth?

Please share your insights as well as SPECIFIC BRANDS, MODELS and SUPPLIERS.

I'm sure that there are many that would be interested in any and all input.

Thanks for sharing
    Last edited by tboehm; 12-17-2009 at 17:24. Reason: spelling

I have been through several sets of the Cabelas Youth, Silent Suede, Dry Plus Parka and bibs for my little guys.

I highly recommend them. They are warm and dry and fairly inexpensive right now I am rotating a set per year due to the kids outgrowing them.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...&rid=&parentTy

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...233&hasJS=true

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...233&hasJS=true

Good luck.

I get all my long johns at REI as much as I hate supporting them they have the largest selection of sizes and colors for the kids not to mention most of it is very high quality and holds up well. Heck this year my youngest spent three days wearing her silkys as an outer garment and didn't get a single hole.

Campmore and backcountry are two other good spots to find clothing online.

Default Value Village

We have found lots of fleece and other good outdoor gear for the kids at the local thrift shops.

Unfortunately tboehm is in North Carolina and outdoor clothes at the thrift shops isn't like here in Alaska.

My kids have had great luck with Mad Dog gear from Sportsman's Guide. I didn't spend much money on kids camo clothes because they only wore them maybe a month out of the year. The next year they were grown out of it. Now that my kids have slowed down a little in the growing department they have worm a set of Mad Dog coat and pants for two years now hunting, riding the ATV's and my son wears the pants as a top layer while riding the snowmobile. They still work great.

Gloves and hats..well, just about anything works down to 32F. The kids wear knit jersey gloves from my hardware store while hunting. Just the brown cotton ones. They wear just about any wool hat from our huge pile of hats.

Boots for down to about 20F and no snow are some Rockies for kids from Sportsmans Guide also. Any boot with gortex and insulation is going to be fine for kids.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Browning makes some decent hunting gear for kids.
    http://www.browning.com/products/cat...03&type_id=673

I picked my son up a jacket and bibs at Frontier Outfitters in Fbks.

It's built just like the adult stuff and (unfortunately) it's priced just like it too. I bought just a bit big and he's looking at his third year with it. He's built small and the jacket's built a little roomy so it works fine. I stomached the price after a carribou trip where I heard ZERO whining despite some chilly and rainy weather.

Base layers and stuff are generally ordered from Campmor or Sierra Trading. I've had a hard time finding that stuff with any selection though locally.
    Last edited by hodgeman; 12-18-2009 at 17:51. Reason: added a link