Thread: Alaska Trip July 2010

Default Alaska Trip July 2010

My wife and I are planning our first trip to Alaska in July of 2010. We are planning on flying into Anchorage renting a car and seeing as much as we can for the week we will be there. We are planning on doing some kind of a 1 day remote fly in salmon trip, and an offshore halibut trip, and past that we have not determined yet. The only arrangments we have made is some hotel lodging so far. The reason I am posting is that I am a member of floridasportsman.com fishing forum and we always have people asking for advice on charters etc.. I know it's always better to get information from a local vs. googling for a charter captain. So I was hoping someone could point me towards an experienced Cpt. who has a reputation for finding the fish. I also thought I would check and see if anyone is interested in trading a trip. I run a 29' Seavee out of the Jacksonville/St. Augustine area and we have a great fishery here. We have a great wahoo (December -May) and dolphin (April/May)run that I could take 2-3 people out on forin return fishing for my wife and I while we are in Alaska. I do catch fish here and have plenty of pics to prove that, also it would be very easy to verify on the NE section of the floridasportsman.com. We also have have plenty of king mackeral, sailfish, snapper, grouper, cobia and just about any other fish that swims in the Atlantic. At the very least I hope some of you locals can steer me in the right direction for a charter/or who to stay away from. If you ever need any assitance or advice in Florida just let me know.

Casey Smith
    casey_smith@bellsouth.net

Hi Casey,

All's I can say is that you're in the right place! There's tons of good advise to be had here and many folks who are generous with their information.

I am semi-in the same situation as you and your missus, but after reading through the forums I'm beginning to have somewhat of a glimmer!

If you can spend the time, consider browsing through the forum - maybe concentrating on the Spring & Summer months topics. Lots of similar questions have been A&A already. Likewise, when you narrow down your parameters, the Search funtion here turns up major info. Lastly, as you'll see folks mention, the Store (top of page) has great reading on your questions.

Enjoy the ride!

- Jay

I would recommend letting the forum know where exactly you'll be lodging (what town), as well as exactly when, so that we can better assist you in the efficiency and enjoyment of your journey. There are lots of knowledgeable people here with an array of advice and opinions; there are also many generous people here as well.

Having said that, I would personally spend part of your trip north of anchorage (i.e. Denali), and part of it south of anchorage (i.e. the Kenai).... and as little time as possible IN anchorage. The journey north will be more of a sightseeing trip with a few good fishing opportunities, and the journey south will run you into some of the best fishing on earth, including the largest salmon in the world (Kenai), and the most productive saltwater fisheries as well (Cook Inlet, Seward).

I look forward to hearing more details concerning your plans so the forum can give you the most detailed information possible.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Thanks for the replies so far. Here is a little more info.

We will arrive in Anchorage on July 3rd, we are tenatively planning on booking a remote fly out salmon fishing with Rust's Fly-in service on the 4th. Then we are driving down to Seward from Anchorage on the 5th, and I have booked a full day halibut/cod trip with CrackerJack on their bigger boat (I chose them after reading several positive replies about them on here). July 7th leave Seward head back to Anchorage and possibly take in the Kenji glackier park. Then on the 8th leave Anchorage for Denali National Forest. Tour it on the 9th and then head back to Anchorage and fly out sometime on the 10th to come home. This is a rough schedule my wife has put together, we don't know if we are making the right destination choices or not. Maybe you all can help fine tune this now that you have a general idea of what we are planning, or you may be telling me that our iteniary just won't work. Again I really appreciate everyone taking the time to read this and help with any suggestions you may have. I also appreciate the pm's as well.

Casey

brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Converted View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far. Here is a little more info.

We will arrive in Anchorage on July 3rd, we are tenatively planning on booking a remote fly out salmon fishing with Rust's Fly-in service on the 4th. Then we are driving down to Seward from Anchorage on the 5th, and I have booked a full day halibut/cod trip with CrackerJack on their bigger boat (I chose them after reading several positive replies about them on here). July 7th leave Seward head back to Anchorage and possibly take in the Kenji glackier park. Then on the 8th leave Anchorage for Denali National Forest. Tour it on the 9th and then head back to Anchorage and fly out sometime on the 10th to come home. This is a rough schedule my wife has put together, we don't know if we are making the right destination choices or not. Maybe you all can help fine tune this now that you have a general idea of what we are planning, or you may be telling me that our iteniary just won't work. Again I really appreciate everyone taking the time to read this and help with any suggestions you may have. I also appreciate the pm's as well.

Casey
    Casey; a few thoughts....a week isn't enough! Probably too late to change that Yes, thats a tight itinerery, but I understand you wanting to pack in a s much as you can into your limited time.
    Crackerjack is a great choice; it's been a few years since I've fished with them, but Andy runs a great operation.
    Rusts flys out of Anchorage (I assume), and I've always used one of the air services from Soldotna, so I'm no help there, except to say I've never heard much bad about Rusts.
    Seward is a cool town, but visiting the Kenai peninsula for the first time and not seeing the Kenai, the Russian, etc... back to the 1 week not bieng enough. Myself, I'd skip Denali (I've seen lots of mountains) and spend those several days exploring the rest of the kenai. Guess I'd drive to Soldota that first day, do the flyout from there (lots of good choices) and then hit Homer and Seward on the following days. And catch a Kenai king But thats just me...

I took my first vacation to Alaska this year '2009'. Last week of July first 1 1/2 weeks of August. Best vacation of my life. My daughter did a college rotation in North Pole so I picked her up and we traveled in a rented motor home. I was told by many that a motor home was the only way to do Alaska and it's my plan in 2010. Oh yeah the wife wants to go now that she has seen the 971 pictures that I edited down from over 2,000. It's a good thing that I'm a good 'sometimes' husband.

Alaska = Great state, great people and oh the fishing.

Dave

You have way to much planned in a week in my opinion. I would skip Denali and stay on the Kenai Peninsula. There is way more there than what you can do in a week! I spent 10 days on the Kpen and did not see it all but sure caught a ton of fish!

Quote Originally Posted by Doski View Post
    I took my first vacation to Alaska this year '2009'. Last week of July first 1 1/2 weeks of August. Best vacation of my life. My daughter did a college rotation in North Pole so I picked her up and we traveled in a rented motor home. I was told by many that a motor home was the only way to do Alaska and it's my plan in 2010. Oh yeah the wife wants to go now that she has seen the 971 pictures that I edited down from over 2,000. It's a good thing that I'm a good 'sometimes' husband.

Alaska = Great state, great people and oh the fishing.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Any chance of sharing some of your photos here on the forum? Lots of folks (me included) hungry for yet even more!

Thanks, Jay

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    You have way to much planned in a week in my opinion. I would skip Denali and stay on the Kenai Peninsula. There is way more there than what you can do in a week! I spent 10 days on the Kpen and did not see it all but sure caught a ton of fish!
    I agree, there is a lot to see and do on the Kenai. Denali would be a whole different trip.