Thread: Steelhead in Anchorage area?

Default Steelhead in Anchorage area?

Another "just curious" question from a newbie here.

Last month my husband and I were hiking this trail along Eagle River when we decided to cut through a patch of trees to a gravel bar by the river. Water was greenish clear and looked fishy. Saw a couple of old silvers doing their thing. Hubby said he heard somewhere that there are supposedly steelhead in there. Anyone know? Would be nice to fish for them there instead of driving all the way to the peninsula.

Nearest steelies to Anchorage are on the KP.
    The Anchor River, Deep Creek, Kasilof, Ninilchick and there have been reports of strays in the Kenai.
    I think there are some other smaller streams that get a run also.

The best place for Steelhead is to drive to the Airport and fly down to Yakutat this spring! I'm sure there will be people here to vouch! If you decide to come and see us PM me for lodging, guides, boat rentals, etc... I'd love to have you!

Quote Originally Posted by capt.k View Post
    the best place for steelhead is to drive to the airport and fly down to yakutat this spring! I'm sure there will be people here to vouch! If you decide to come and see us pm me for lodging, guides, boat rentals, etc... I'd love to have you!

yup!!! :d

If you saw a couple of old silvers doing there thing then chances are good that there are some dollies or bows lurking around.

Most of the streams running into the Susitna north of Anchortown have some really good rainbow fishing at times. Not steelhead but still a chance at a bow in the upper 20 inch range.

The KP streams mentioned by Drifter are the nearest known steelhead streams in these parts.

Read a report the other day put out by the Feds saying that they have documented steelhead in a drainage that runs into the Kenai River. They counted several hundred that entered this river in the first part of May in each of the previous two years. Kind of cool to learn this.

I would also say that there other less crowded places to go besides heading down to Yakutat. Don't get me wrond great fishing can be found on the Situk but there are many places that are a plane ride away that are just as good if not better. Just depends on what you are looking for in a fishing adventure.

Default hmm

ive actually heard alot of people talk about steelhead in ship creek. I believe this to be a rumor. People always have to have something new to bring to my conversation at work so hearsay hearsay. who knows?
    Go Fish

Wink

I heard there was steelies in Delong Lake here in anchorage...

So they actually stocked fall run steelies in Cambell Creek once... other than that there aren't any around here. And Eagle River has no fish and is not worth fishing ever
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thanks for all the replies. Seems a lot more "don't knows" than "definitely nots". Think I will grab hubby and do some exploration on the Eagle next fall. But the upper section kind of creeps me out though. Too many bears! Spoke with someone in Fish & Game and she said that steelhead have been confirmed in at least one Anchorage area stream, down in Girdwood or Portage I believe. Same with steelhead as with other fish, straying that is. However, Situk come May is on the agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    So they actually stocked fall run steelies in Cambell Creek once... other than that there aren't any around here. And Eagle River has no fish and is not worth fishing ever
    Back in the late '80s ADF&G actually planted steelhead smolts into Campbell Creek two consecutive years. 40,000 the first year and 50,000 the next. They monitored the weir at Campbell Lake and only received 2 known returnees. One of the specimens looked beat up and the other was "beautiful." They did not know where they went. Their speculation was that they were intercepted at high sea (high sea drift nets nets were active back then) or if the fish would not enter the silty Knik Arm to reach Campbell Creek.