Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "wifes" rifle

Default The "wifes" rifle

Ok, Christmas is a week away and today I found myself standing in the sporting goods store with a sudden urge to buy a new rifle for the misses... well "us" if I must be completely honest. There was a pretty nice package put together with a Ruger Compact .260 Rem w/ a Leupold 3-9 Ultralight scope. I hate the fact that the laminated stock runs 1/2 pound heavier than the walnut stock, but like the stainless finish for southeast weather. Even being a compact with an ultralight scope, it feels heavier than my old M77 .30-06 ultralight.

I do like the rifle, and I know the fit is good for her. Before I drop $900 on a rifle/scope combo, I was hoping to get some feedback on the rifle, scope, and caliber choice. She would mainly use it for deer and the occasional seal or sea otter. I am curious about how well the 16.5 inch barrel performs because I'll probably sneak the rifle out of the house for my early alpine deer hunts and use it myself. Lord knows you might only get some long shots.

For her, recoil is definitely a factor. I don't want to jump in to the short mag world due to having only one ammo store in town (I don't reload... yet). I want to keep the weight down as much as possible, and I want a rifle that will suit her. I'll shoot anything, and I'm of the philosophy that more guns are "better."

From time to time I read about "wife" rifles on here with recommendations varying from .243 to 7mm-08. I just wanted to solicit some more input before I shell out a bunch of $$$. (I'm still trying to reserve some gun money for the .375 Ruger and a reloading setup). What worked, what didn't, and if you have one of the compacts, by all means please list your likes/dislikes.

Default .260 Ultralight...

I personally watched a 12 year old girl sight in a Model 7 Youth Remington in .260 with her Dad's 140 gr. handloads. Looked like she weighed all of 80 pounds. She'd drawn a moose tag for southeast Idaho (Shirras). She handled it off the bench just fine. She even shot it really well. Kept a magazine-full on a soda can offhand at a hundred yards after it was sighted. About a week later, her photo was in the local paper, with a very large (for here) cow that she'd used that rifle and the 140 Nosler on.
    The only downside that I see is that you're not likely to find ammunition in Resume Speed, Alaska for the thing, so take what you need, get plenty, and don't misplace it.
    My wife shoots a 6.5 Swede that I put together for her on a Turk 98. It goes about 8 pounds, and even with warmish 160 gr. round nose Hornadys, the recoil is about like a Roberts.
    Neither round, nor the 7X57 and the like, will blow down the forest on the way to the critter. Neither will they destroy half an animal. On large critters that consider you to be an entree on their menu, I'd sure like more gun, but it sounds like you've already taken that into account and are willing to risk it.

I learned my lesson about wife rifles. Take them along while shopping and let them pick the style rifle. You would be amazed at the things they really like, compared to what you think they may like. Mine ended up taking my M-4 carbine. (she's ex-Army) not really big enough, but she can hit with it and run the gun.
    Since you are talking about her doing the shooting of seals and sea otters, I assume she must be one of the indiginous personel. And that you must be looking for hides. So think about hole size.

Default Wife rifle

Also look at the Rem. 700 mountain rifle. I have on in Lam/Stain. It is very light. It is topped with a 3x9 Leu. Mine is in 7mm-08. Very light recoil. My wife has the Browning micro hunter in 7mm-08. Her's kicks a little more. Mine has a better recoil pad. I don't think you will notice the dif in recoil in .260 or 7mm-08. If you think she will be recoil shy, get the .243.

I let my wife pick hers out for our anniversery and she really liked the Reminton 700 SPS youth model. She is about 5'4". She got the 30-06 and a leupold VX2 3-9 x 40. Just another option, i think the whole package cost about 800 for us.
    Steve

Any of you guys wanna trade wives? If I bought mine a gun she'd shoot me with it!

O.K. she aint up for barter but you get the point! Feel fortunate!

Talking

I ended up getting mine a Ackley Impr.280 and now it's one of MY favorite guns!

Agreed with making your wife a part of the process. I took my wife along and she picked the Remington Model 7 Youth in 7mm-08. She loves that gun - accurate and hardly any kick at all. It's already a tame caliber, but it comes with a great recoil pad as well. The negative, of course, is that it isn't stainless. Topped with a vari-x I, it's a featherweight that I'll be stealing for deer hunting as well!

-Brian

So, I took some advice and brought the misses to the gun shop today... She picked up a few rifles and found a couple she liked. It was no surprise when she picked up a new Kimber Montana and said "ooh, I like this one!" I don't even own a Kimber! We'll see.... she liked the compact and youth model rifles too, but the twinkle in her eye tells me she liked the expensive rifle... like diamonds I suppose. It probably wouldn't kill me to get a Kimber, I always wanted one, but never could justify the cost to the wife. Ironic isn't it?

Getting your wife gear that will help her become hooked on the outdoors is worth every penny, regardless of how much. I have spent a small fortune over the past 4 years getting my wife completely set up with hiking, climbing, skiing (x-c and AT), hunting, and fishing gear. I haven't bought much for myself during this time frame, but I don't regret that a bit. I now have an adventure partner under my own roof who not only allows me to pursue my passions, but who actively pushes me to go because she wants to go along. Can't put a price on that, my friend...even if they do like the expensive gear. (Trust me, I understand that one!)

-Brian

I had to disrguard my likes and dislikes as well when taking the wife shopping for a new rifle. As soon as she held a Kimber Montana she knew she wanted it.
    Good advice here about her picking it out. It goes a long way for instilling confidence. After all, it will be her rifle.
    Tennessee

So, if I were to go the Kimber route... I was thinking the straight up .270 simply because it is a great all around cartridge and ammo availability isn't a problem. As a matter of fact, I got to looking around the shop today and there is a wider selection of .270 ammo than anything else. I'm kinda leery about the lack of a floor plate or magazine with the Kimber's. Anyone have thoughts on this? I've never shot one either, so any feedback on how they shoot would be appreciated.

Thanks again guys, this has been a huge help.

Smile wifes rifle

Even though we have only been married a short 24 years, my wife has diffent ideas about what she wanted in her rifle. Before we met, she used a Rem 700, 30-06 to take her delta bison. After we got married she used the same rifle to take a few moose and caribou. After a close encounted with a griz she decided that she wanted a LARGER caliber. She ended up with a Savage 116 stainless in 338 mag. Since then she has done real well with it taking several moose and caribou. Being only 5'1'' she handles the recoil well. It helps that I down load her loads a little but not much. Grant it she does not do a lot of hiking so weight is not some thing that she is concerned with.
    Just another happy husbands input.

You lucky devil James!

My first deer rifle was a Remington Model Seven in 7mm-08. It'll be a perfect wife rifle when I find the wife! Hahaha! Seriously, a .243win, 257 Roberts, .250 Savage, .260Rem, 6.5x55 Swede (I want one of these), along with any of the mild 7mm's ought to do the trick. I'd prefer at least the .25 cal for the longer range deer. The model Seven is a good lightweight and compact rifle and the SS version has a Limbsaver recoil pad. If length of pull is a problem, check out the Weatherby Vanguard compact. They're impressively accurate even if the triggers aren't always the greatest.

Red face Kimbers are for chicks

I guess that means Kimbers are for chicks.....LOL. Seriously, I saw .22 at sportsman's warehouse in Anchorage a few weeks ago, it was PINK. Like like the color of an 6 year old girl's lunch box pink. I threw the idea out as a potential Christmas present for my fiance, and she shut me down cold. Something to the effect of "if you buy me a gun, we're through". Count your lucky stars if you're lady is into hunting fellas-

Thumbs up Tikka

If @ all possible I'd really also consider the Tikka T3 Lite Stainless/Synthetic or the new Camo Stainless.

Specs, features, performance, and accuracy guaranty are all there on this one!

http://www.tikka.fi/ or http://www.berettausa.com/product/pr...ifles_main.htm

Great reading thread!!!

If you can run with the .270 that would be a fine choice in this tackdriven deer seeker rifle/cartridge duo.

Default wifes rifle

One day a few years ago , When my wife and I had come to town. There was a Ruger 77 stainless compact in 308 @ Tideland ..Boy did she glaum on to that QUICK........ It was the 4th rifle I had tried for her..... I put a gushier pad on it and did a little help on the trigger... It now wears a 4x Burris Short Mag scope. And I can,t use it....... With most loads the 16.5 " barrel looses around 100 -150 fps... It basically makes it a 300 Savage........... For her plinking ,, I load 100 gr half jackets with 10 gr UNIQUE .... She LOVES them..........She tends to crawl the stock but has not had trouble with the Burris... She got hit a few times with variable Leupolds.................. It took me a while to understand it is HER rifle . Not mine ... She wants a pretty blue stock with a picture of a rose on the butt stock............That will probably cost as much as the rifle did......OH WELL....... She also wants a muzzel brake ,.,. Thats fine... A guy I know , who is a Far Gone rifle Looney doesn,t understand that it is her and NOT my rifle..... He has to buy his wife jewlry..,., yuk.......

I saw a pink stock for a 10/22 at a gun show, handed it to my GF with a suggestion that it suited her ... & she hit me with it. Wouldn't have been so bad if so many friends hadn't seen her do it.

BTW, her choice of a Montana Hunting rifle is a l/h Remington 700 in 7mag with a Kevlar stock, Leupold 2-7x scope. Second choice is same setup in .30-06. She owns both.

And now that I let her shoot my .375 H&H model 70, she wants one like it but in a l/h action. She hated my Ruger 77 in .338.

Yes, having a wife as a hunting partner is a seriously great asset in life.

Jim

Default I screwed up a couple times...

After the wife and I got married, I let her use my old K38 Smith & Wesson. I was informed that it was now HER gun! Okay, she's got half the money and all of that other thing...last summer, I let her pop a few rounds through my pre-64 Model 70 Featherweight .243, with the understanding that it is MY rifle! That evening, I was invited to cook MY supper, wash MY dishes, and sleep in MY bed.......ya know, it really does look good in her hands after all!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast