Thread: What optics for new AR

Default What optics for new AR

I just picked up a new AR15, flattop with flip up gas block front sight. Only problem is I am not sure how I should scope it. Right now it has a 3-9x50 Nikon BDC on it. Its a little big, I was thinking some thing a little more compact low power variable, but I don't want to sacrifice light gathering for night hunting predators. What scopes do you guys have on your ARs?

It's not an AR15, but I roll with a TA01B ACOG on my DPMS LR308 AP4.

I'm happy with an EOS holographic sight. I rarely shoot past 300 yards, and it is just fine out to that distance without magnification. I have the MIL version which is compatible with NVG's, and (ehemm) I've never borrowed a pair to shoot at night at home, but they work great with nogs at the Ft. Rich range.

I think that a carbine AR should be a short range quick reaction rifle first and foremost, so I would not worry too much about magnification, and go first with a quick sighting system.

Give us a price range

If I was thinking of predator hunting after dark, I'd be thinking along the lines of a red dot sight or a low power scope with an illuminated reticle.

I'd like to stay under 400 bucks on the scope. I have a 2.5-8 ziess I might try out on it.

They made a scope just for you. It even comes with a BDC dials to match 55gr FMJ's

http://www.leupold.com/tactical/prod...k-ar-3-9x40mm/

Here ya go, $400 with a one piece mount and mil-dot reticle

http://swfa.com/Leupold-3-9x40-Mark-...al-P44574.aspx

I picked up one of those vortex red/green dot scopes the other day, going to give it a try. Comes with doubler and a ring setup for flattop ARs. Since it is a quick detach I can always use a setup with lower power variable scope for more precise work in the future.

Let us know how that works for you!! I am looking at moving to a 3-9x40 bushnell firefly for mine but I am currently running a 2-7x32 nikon which works well and on a clear night with 3/4 + moon I can see the x-hairs clearly.