Thread: DC001 with Snowmachines

Default DC001 with Snowmachines

This year I drew a caribou tag for GMU 7. Is there a particular area the Caribou tend to frequent this time of year? We will be using snowmachines for transportation during the hunt. I am thinking of starting at Hope and going towards the Devils Pass area. This is my first time hunting this area so any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Blade Dude

Default good luck

i believe the herd winters around american pass, at one time it was known as the "american pass" herd.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I too would focus on the western high country of the trail, somewhere around.....yep, American Pass. Go prepared and watch the snow conditions. Good luck!
    http://www.cnfaic.org/

Last time I had a sit down with the ADFG biologist in Soldotna he said not a single person had been successful in hunting this herd in December by snowmachine. My wife drew this hunt 3 years ago. They must come down near the trail though because two winters ago a friend and myself found blood, 4 lower legs and wolf beds right on the trail in the snow while going for a ride from Cooper Landing to Hope.

So let us know! You could be the first! Most commonly the problem stated is the lack of a base for the snow.

Default Saturday

I am going in on saturday morning.. Right as the sun is comming up so I can barely see.. heading in their and spotting them.. then using the snowmobile to close the distance to an adjacent ridge.. Taking the .243 with lots of rounds in case I see some predators.. if I dont see any caribou, then I can do some calling way back in their for some coyotes, wolves and maybe a kitty

What do you think would be the best option.. go in from hope or Coopers landing?

i think hope would be a better bet
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I agree, Hope side would be the better option. When going in, just make sure to look up on all the ridge tops.

Default Will do

I am mainly planning to call in some coyotes, fox and maybe see and get a wolf.. I'll be cruising in the limited daylight and glassing the hills.. Wil try and push in as far as American pass.. Have to see how the snow depth is and how far I want to pull a caribou out if I should see one..

Thanks for the tips and info. I'll be leaving to hunt on the 26th, and I'll let you all know how it goes when I get back.

Default tomorrow

Thats tomorrow.. I will be their as well, Maybe I will see you up on their, I wonder what the snow conditions are.. I would hate to get stuck 15 miles back in their and have to walk out... Yay... Should be fun

Be safe out there, we work up to rain and mid 30 degrees. It has been raining all morning.

Here is the avalance website. Check it out for the latest forecasts.

www.cnfaic.org

Default No-Go

I coudnt go.. Legally speaking.. Here I had my hopes of going Sat.. I packed all my stuff, leaded the machine and checked my gun, license and tag, On the back of my permit it said if you take the same species in any other area.. the permit is VOID.. or something like that.. I took a caribou in Early Sept of this year.. So my caribou season came to an abrubpt end after reading that and double checking with ADFG..

Bummer, at least you noticed before you got one and had the ranger waiting in the parking lot to check!

Yeah, that would have sucked.. so instead I went north since I had everything ready to go. Went and chased some bunnies..

I just got back from my 'bou hunt. No caribou though. The only sign of them were some older tracks in cannonball creek valley. So after we found that the caribou were not in the devil's pass area and there didn't seem to be a way to get to american pass, we went ptarmigan hunting and kept our eyes open for the bou but to no avail.
    BTW, IS there a way to get to american pass in the winter by snowmachine?

Quote Originally Posted by Blade Dude View Post
    I just got back from my 'bou hunt. No caribou though. The only sign of them were some older tracks in cannonball creek valley. So after we found that the caribou were not in the devil's pass area and there didn't seem to be a way to get to american pass, we went ptarmigan hunting and kept our eyes open for the bou but to no avail.
    BTW, IS there a way to get to american pass in the winter by snowmachine?
    You can backcountry your way up Abernathy and/or up and around the same direction NE of Swan Lake. Daylight, weather, and snow conditions permissible that is. Tough hunt this time of year. Next year!