Thread: Painting and refinishing plugs

Default Painting and refinishing plugs

Has anyone out there figured out a good was to refinish your old favorite or found plug that needs it? Is there a way to get the metallic finish like they have when they are new?

I have a pile of plugs I would love to refinish this Winter.

Help.

I know you can get metallic paints from just about anywhere (Home Depot, WalMart) in spray cans or even for an airbrush at any hobby shop or artists supply house.

Quote Originally Posted by KenaiV View Post
    Has anyone out there figured out a good was to refinish your old favorite or found plug that needs it? Is there a way to get the metallic finish like they have when they are new?

I have a pile of plugs I would love to refinish this Winter.

Help.
    What kind of plugs are you talking about?

I do a lot of searches on Youtube for that stuff. They show you how to powder paint jigs and stuff.

I recently fixed up some rusty old spoons that I had. I put some chrome wax on them, buffed them up and got rid of most of the rust. Then I put some green, red or blue prizm tape on them. They look new now.

Default Dont

If you've got a proven killer plug don't mess with it. The color means nothing it's the action of it that makes it so special. If you go screwing around and painting it you will probably mess it up.

If one theother hand you only catch the occasional fish, but the paint is rubber off from washing it or hanging around in your boat or tacklebox, then get an airbrush setup and go to town. Autobody shops are great place to get small amounts of paint in all kinds of cool colors.

I agree with Rodbuilder, action is key. Color is secondary. Whatever you do, do not put them in the dish washer to clean them before painting! Have heard they come out in all different kinds of shapes, some just blow up.

Default dishwasher

I've heard that too. May just have to try it with one of my duds, just for fun.

KenaiV -

You might try some searches on this site:

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/

They seem to be all about making and refinishing tackle.

ClearCreek

I've tried just about every thing under the sun to get the factory look back,best advice is to not do anything with a plug thats working,even if the color is fading.....
    I ♥ Big Sheep

I assume you're talking about Kwikfish??? If so, the advise thusfar is very good... don't ever paint a hot plug! I've made this mistake once before, and the results are devastating!
    I use to paint plugs, but once I realized painting a good plug can ruin it, I quit. You can paint old duds for fun, but who wants to fish a dud anyways? The best advice is to keep your hot plugs the way they are, and replace your duds with new ones in search of better performing plugs.
    On a side note, I have painted up a pile of dud plugs and sold them on craigslist, but that's the only real benefit to painting them that I can think of.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.