Thread: Combined Technology ...Ballistic Silvertip Bullets

Post Combined Technology ...Ballistic Silvertip Bullets

anyone try these out yet?...u get lots of shooting with there price<20$... great reviews at midway and cabelas..having shot alot of frezzer meat with the "old federal classic 180gr in '06" @ 7.99 a box, can't be much wrong here..or can there..i know the animals did'nt get harder to kill or farther away... some of "the new bullets" are a buck or more each!!!?????
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Quote Originally Posted by atvalaska View Post
    anyone try these out yet?...u get lots of shooting with there price<20$... great reviews at midway and cabelas...
    They are nothing more than a Nosler Ballistic Tip with Winchester's proprietary Lubalox coating.

From Winchester's website:
    http://www.winchester.com/learning-c...estion091.aspx

Question:What are the benefits of Lubalox?

Answer:

The primary benefits of Lubalox is reduced barrel fouling. The process creates a surface on the bullet jacket, which increases the amount of shots possible between cleanings. Unlike moly-coated bullets, Lubalox coated bullets leave the barrel residue-free and do not require barrel "seasoning". Additionally, unlike uncoated bullets that tarnish over time, Lubalox protects the surface of the bullet jacket, keeping it looking like new.
    I used them a good bit 10-15 years ago and I found they gave excellent terminal performance on deer sized animals. I did not find the Lubalox coating to decrease my cleaning intervals and so I went back to plain Nosler BTs which are a bit cheaper. The exception to this is the .338 as Nosler has discontinued the BTs and only offer Accubonds. I have been using them in my wife's 338 Federal during load development, but for several reasons have since determined to use the 215 Sierra GK in her rifle.

Thumbs up Bat Silvertip

Really like the 168gr in the 308 win with Reloader 15.

Used the 130gr in the 270 win ........and Reloader 22.....

Shot just like the Nosler Bat Tip.......opens up quite nicely.........good for Bou...........very accurate

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

!Cor: i picked up about 6 boxes of the 200 gn 338 CT's this year from nosler. and see them for sale still periodically on their auction sites. i think i paid $16 a box
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Winchester markets them as CXP2 class bullets, which is for "light thin skinned game"

The way I read that, is that they are excellent deer and caribou bullets, which open up at moderate velocities. While I would have something built a little tougher during mixed seasons, I would not hesitate to use them when the price is right for target shooting, or a deer hunt in PWS.

I bought a box a few months ago (factory loads) to see how they shot in my Kimber, and wasn't too impressed... 2.5" groups, but that means nothing since my Kimber won't shoot anything but Barnes 180 TTSX's. (30-06).

For the price you mentioned, I'd try at least one, and see how they shoot in your rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    !Cor: i picked up about 6 boxes of the 200 gn 338 CT's this year from nosler. and see them for sale still periodically on their auction sites. i think i paid $16 a box
    That sounds like a pretty good deal. The CT bullets are normally available from Midway and others. The BT's are no longer available in .338 (maroon) or .358 (buckskin) as Nosler only markets the Accubond in those calibers (& possibly a few more).

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    Winchester markets them as CXP2 class bullets, which is for "light thin skinned game"

The way I read that, is that they are excellent deer and caribou bullets, which open up at moderate velocities. While I would have something built a little tougher during mixed seasons, I would not hesitate to use them when the price is right for target shooting, or a deer hunt in PWS.
    The over .30 caliber Ballistic Tip is designed with a much heavier jacket than the smaller calibers and penetration is significantly improved. I would use the 200 CT for anything I thought a 200 grain bullet is suitable for in a 338 and have no second thoughts.

As already mentioned, they are basically the same bullet as the Ballisitc Tip with the Lubalox (oxidation) coating which is advertised to reduce pressure and fouling but I am very skeptical of that.

That being said, I use them in my 25-06 and shot a buck antelope with one this year @ 280 yds. The MV was about 3400 fps and the estimated impact velocity was about 2830 fps. It made a rather large entrance hole right on the seam of the shoulder, hittng a rib going in and one going out. The entrance hole was about 1" and the exit about 1 1/2-2". The buck took off like it wasn't hit and then ran in a death circle and piled up about where I shot it. The bullet did do a lot of internal damage.

I think I might try loading up some BT's to compare them for velocity and accuracy. Should be interesting.

Mark