Thread: Iverson Snoeshoes

Default Iverson Snoeshoes

I have a pair that I was given I am not sure which model they are but they are similar to the Alaska Trail model. Does anyone have any experience with them the webbing is kinda worn so I am thinking of having them sent off to be re-webbed and lacquer dipped. I also need to get new harnesses for them any input on their harnesses is the H model or Iverseon Standard A better? Thanks.

Unless the webbing is cracked or broken, you might be able to get by with just spraying some lacquer on them. I used Iversons for years, and usually gave them a fresh coat or two a year.

I'm not too familiar with the Iverson bindings. I really like Bob Maki's bindings. They're about as simple and practical as they come.
    http://www.northwoodsports.com/index...ducts_id=42825

Good luck!

I'm sure those bindings work great. I've been making very similar bindings out of truck tire intertubes for many years. The guy got a patent on them, good for him.
    pete

Floor Guy,

Up until a few years ago I used some long wooden army issue snowshoes. I replaced them with the longest Atlas's at the time and they just can't provide the flotation the old, long, wooden ones did.

My folks still live in Da U.P. and sent me a pair of Iverson Alaska Custom shoes for Christmas along with the Maki bindings I had on my old pair. They did great this last weekend and I can't wait to get out in them again.

Its not to difficult to re-lacquer them yourself. The spray lacquer like Corn suggested will work great. I have also used the stuff from a can, you just have to worry about it dripping on the floor.

If you think they need to be restrung give Iversons a call. I talked to a couple nice people when I called seeking their advice between the Alaska Trail and the Custom.

My Dad is having one of our old pairs repaired right now, so it seems they do repair work if you need it.

Iversons have some bindings with the bearclaws/cleats in them. I'm considering replacing my Maki's with this because the only thing that I have trouble with, besides being out of shape, is steep uphills. Without the extra traction steep hills can be a real challenge.

Have fun,
    Brian

Thumbs up neoprene webbing

i really like my iverson's , but i have had best luck with the neoprene lacing, little up keep and never gets wet.
    you may be able to have a pair re laced with it instead of the rawhide.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    i really like my iverson's , but i have had best luck with the neoprene lacing, little up keep and never gets wet.
    you may be able to have a pair re laced with it instead of the rawhide.
    Thanks for the info on the lacing. These look like just the thing for me. I had pretty much given up on shoes but I think I may have to order up a set. Is there a local shop to get them or is it mail order only? Anyone know about what shipping cost for them?

IMO the neoprene webbing is the way to go. Got my 1st pair of Iversons 30+ years ago and they lasted a LONG time. On the AK trappers ass. site is I believe an article/directions on making your own Maki style bindings. I prefer H style and make my own from heavy leather, buckles and a sewing awl that I get at Black Elk in Anch.

Quote Originally Posted by Corn View Post
    Unless the webbing is cracked or broken, you might be able to get by with just spraying some lacquer on them. I used Iversons for years, and usually gave them a fresh coat or two a year.

I'm not too familiar with the Iverson bindings. I really like Bob Maki's bindings. They're about as simple and practical as they come.
    http://www.northwoodsports.com/index...ducts_id=42825

Good luck!
    I just returned from a maiden 3hr hike on fresh snow (no ice, roads, etc) on my new Iverson wooden snowshoes w/ rawhide decking-- and noticed much of the varnish on the bottom has worn off. This is my first pair of wooden snowshoes, and I'm wondering if this is normal. I know wooden snowshoes need to be re-varnished about once a year; but after the first 3hr hike in good conditions?? (this seems pretty impractical for a multi-day trip in backcountry, etc)
    Variables abound, but how long should it take for varnish to need replacing on wooden/ rawhide snowshoes w/ recreational once-a-week use in good conditions? (my guess is about once a season).

MANY thanks!!