Thread: Calling In Red Fox Video

Default Calling In Red Fox Video

Well I finally got it done. I know I've been saying I'm going to post it up here, but uploading to youtube on my end isn't always that fast. For those of you wondering how I do it, or just how other people setup in general here ya go. I'm set up with the hills on either side to act as a funnel and with a somewhat crosswind, I put the caller out 60yds from me but as you'll see he gets wind of it, so maybe next time it will be closer.

Another really nice video Mike. Obviously another one-man calling/filming/shooting success. Much more polished this time. Nice job, really enjoy the vids. That wasn't the HMR again was it?

Default Thanks

No that was the 22-250. The lynx video I only put the last bit on there. Thought there might be some people out there with questions and thought maybe a run-down of my set-up might help them out.

Thanks for the vid. I have yet to try my calls out but I look forward to using the info I gained from your hard work!
    Was this hunt in Delta?

Default Fox video

Nice job. Keep them coming. Looks like a good time!

No this setup was down through the pass, and I see that they are getting dumped on!! They are suppose to get a total of 30" around summit lake by the end of tonight or in the morning I guess.

That's a great video.

Can I hunt with you?

Default Sure

Yeah why not! I'm sure it would make my job easier on getting things on video and let someone else shoot. I'm even man enough to say that yes I put me missing the second shot on there even though I didn't need to take one, the first one did him in but I left it in there. So you sure you still want to hunt with me?

thats an awsome video great job are you pretty succesful down there i have tried a few times around north pole with no luck i called in a fox one night i think all i could see was the eyes and i didnt get a shot off, since you said the caller was 60 feet out i assume u are using a remote do you think the caller being away from u helps out at all, also have you ever tried in the flats i have seen a few fox and lynx out there.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeGSP View Post
    Yeah why not! I'm sure it would make my job easier on getting things on video and let someone else shoot. I'm even man enough to say that yes I put me missing the second shot on there even though I didn't need to take one, the first one did him in but I left it in there. So you sure you still want to hunt with me?
    You mean you missed a flopping animal at about 200yds? Wow, better hit the range. J/k =) .....moving target, adrenaline pumping....I get it. That was a great stand in my book. Keep getting results like that and we'll be standing in line to hunt with you.

Talking

Which flats you talking about? I haven't really called that much down there, but around here yeah I at least always see something atleast at one of my stands. I got to get out and do some callin here as it sounds like I'm going to be going back to work here in a few weeks, so my days might be numbered. I've been working on some new sounds and arranging them in my own way on the computer and putting them on the caller, so we'll see how those work. Yeah the remote is sweet as for me shooting the video it takes the eyes off me as I zoom in or move the camera into position ect.. At night though and sometimes in the day I'll have the caller right with me, or I'll use mouth calls. I've always got the mouth calls though in the truck just in case. This weekend we seen a yote out on the river down through the pass and turned around to get it on video and this truck pulled up and whipped out some mouth calls and started screaming at him and the yote looked but kept going. So all they did was educate him some more. We tried going above him and calling but no go, so thanks to whoever you are for screwing that one up. The spot we picked was awesome, might just pop that out and upload the video to show that set up. I'm up for hunting with anyone.......I wanna do some calling up around fairbanks and the steese but don't know my way around, so if anyone wants to go out..........I'm all ears.

i was talking about donnly flats, as for around fairbanks i dont relly know were to go i have tried in the chena flood control thats were i had that fox going but nothing consistant there does seem to be more yote tracks around this year, never tried up on the steese but every time im on 12 mile summit i see fox but never have the right gun. but yea if your headed this way i know my way around the steese and north pole area i just dont know what to look for making a stand if you need someone to run the cam or whatever just send me a pm

Default well.............

haha I don't want to give all my spots away. haha......I have called out on the flats and have called in many things. The one thing that one finds out there is smart yotes running around out there. There have been alot of people calling out there from here and greely and some of them have got them call wise. Some long range shooting or two or more guys to setup a flanking suprise would do the trick. I've called both yotes and fox out that way. In fact last year me and a buddy ran into a couple of guys up there with two 10-22's, two 12 guage's, two AR-15's, and a few pistols I think and had seen a fox earlier in the morning and was spreading lead at him and didn't get him, so it's a little tricky up that way but more of a challenge which I like. I've had them come in and hold up 5-700yds, but I've been shooting out to 600 with my 250 so we'll see about that.

Schaweet! going Mike. The video brought back memories from years ago when we tried duct taping a camcorder to the rifle and that never worked but your set-up sure worked out fine.
    Dont klnow how your doing it by yourself but you are the man. Ive tried and tried but but I finally said forget that video after messing up quite a few stands so now its just shooting critters for me lol!

Let me know if you get into town sometime as Im planning on hitting the Steese but my partner done took off and went to Maui.... Daniel

well I need a new tripod. thats what I asked santa for christmas. My Nikon one that came with my spotting scope is a bit on the loose side.Thats why I love that e-caller my fiance got for me for my birthday, cuz by putting that out there gives me a little wiggle room for shooting the videos. I'm thinking on heading up there next week during the week if you or anyone else is game? shoot a pm or leave a note on here or the partners thread I'll find it.

Im going shopping tomorrow for man toys (momma said I could look at guns) But Ill keep an eye out for you on that tripod.All I know is Im going to try and get out as that Im off from the 24th till Jan 3... Heck stop by anyhow and say howdy.

well here in a few weeks i'll have a better report to share as my fiance's bro-n-law wants to head to anchorage. so I think we'll be making the loop and calling the whole way, were going to take the sleds and hit both ends of the denali and see what we can't see, that ought to be a hoot. I'm all set up to charge the video on the go in the truck so every shot will be on the camera. I might have to whip up a video of all that I've seen on our stands that wasn't shot or seen along the road way and throw it up for everyone to see. Yeah just let me know how and where to find ya Daniel.

So, how long of a drive is it from Anchorage to Delta? I'd like to make a trip up there for some calling. I'll see what I can do this calling season.

Since you are heading this way I know of a few areas. Unfortunately, we are mainly talking about sparsely populated residential yotes, and somewhat edjamahcated at that.. I've seen plenty, called them in, had buddies shoot them, but it's tough calling. Calling anywhere within an hour of Anchorage is a labor of love.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeGSP View Post

Gremlin, the drive to Delta is just a hair shorter than driving to Fairbanks, about 340ish miles. However, the Glenn and the Richardson Highways are slower going than the Parks Hwy to Fairbanks so it takes considerably longer. I would budget 6-7+ hours in the winter for pure driving.

If I were going to drive to Delta to call, I would budget two days and do a bunch of calling along the way. Plan on staying the night in either Glenallen or Paxson, and hunt the whole way up. On the way up for two bison hunts last year we saw lynx cross the road, lots of sign of fox, lynx, and other critters, and just a ton of cool country that was begging to be explored. I just might do such a drive/hunt in March.