Thread: Caribou hills area report, 1st ride of the season.

Default Caribou hills area report, 1st ride of the season.

Ok So last Saturday I get my sled going and attemp to get the wife's going. Hers started right up and then died and would not start. Mind you this was the first start of the of the new season. I let is sit for a bit awent back and immediately smelled gas. I then noticed gas coming from the exhaust. WTH.... Took off the exhaust and it poured out. Thankfully we have this thing called the internet. Googled, "fuel in the exhaust in snowmobile" quickly found out it was either a sticky needle or a stuck float. Went back out took the bowl off first carb sprayed it down and put it back on. Took off 2nd bowl and WHALA lo&behold..... ICE. Thank god for hair dryers. Lesson learned?, drain carbs at the end of the season. Put the machines on the trailer and heaed up Oilwell road. There was about 12-14 iches up there at the parking site. We headed to Caribou Lake only for the reason that we heard there was a new lodge opening this year there. So headed back in about half way the snow fall about doubled. There was almost 2 feet. It was nice to play around one again. Got to the lake and found that there are many more cabins on the lake than I remembered from a couple of years ago. Man, there is a whole community out there. Came upon this place that looked like a lodge but quickly found out it was just a nice place with friendly owners. They told me the new lodge is actually on 42nd lake. Not too far away however that it was going to open on the 20th of Dec. So we played around some more as the sleds where running great and then proceded to head back. All in all it was a great first ride. Coming back out it started to snow... of course. Got back to Soldotna and found that there had been a fresh snowfall here as well. My luck is begining to change, now if I could just scratch everyone off my gift list........ Enjoy the riding wherever you are!!!

Glad you had a great first ride. A new lodge sounds great, I still miss the old one. Where is 42nd. lake? I would like to go check it out.

I too miss the old one. It was a great place to get a burger & brew. I was hoping when I heard the rumor that someone was going to open it back up. So we went looking. I spoke to a guy, Mr. Nelson, and he explained to me that it was on 42nd lake. He "tried" to explain anyway. This is what he said. Now if you can picture that I was over to where all the houses and cabin are on Caribou lake looking out over the lake. He says head back to where you are headed to the powerlines and into the swamp. So I take it that you should head towards Homer and not the dome. as you head towards the swamp look to the right and you'll see a cutback headed up to the 42nd lake. That is the trail you want............lol I tried to get more out of him... sorry guess I'll have to use my gps or the trail map on this one too.He didn't and nor do I even know the name of the new one.

MIke

I have a general idea where you are describing. I looked at my mapping software and it does show a very small lake in that direction. I thought I would plug the coordinates in my gps and go check it out this weekend. Thanks for the reply. I will post back on my findings.

Mike

Sounds like he means Moose Horn Lake???

My wife just called and talked with the owners of the new lodge. CCL. It is on Moose Horn Lake. Just to the south of Caribou Lake. They said once on the lake, their place is obvious. They will have both food and FUEL!. Stop in and check them out.

Awesome, Thank You Sir!!

I finally made it to the CCL Lodge (Coles Clean Living) The waypoint is N59.87965 W151.09056. Its just a bit to the south west of Moose Horn Lake. There is a very clean bar down stairs and a nice dining area upstairs. Prices were reasonable and the service was good, Justin and Kasie Cole were nice and friendly. Its been a while since we had a place to stop in for a warm lunch, I hope we get some more snow, I'd like to get back there a couple more times this year. Their hours are 11am - 7pm. They do have fuel, or at least will in the future, and they are planning on building some cabins this summer.

Attached Images Attached Images
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Default Thanx

Awesome!! thank you VERY much for the cords. A buddy and I were riding around Deep creek and on top of Center plateau last Saturday. by the time we got to the intersection of 5000 and the deep creek trail near Caribou lake he was running fairly low on fuel. We made the proper decision to head bad and not go "look" for the lodge as we heard reports that it was still hard to find. Not now though, thanx again!!

It wasn't too hard to find once I had the general idea of where it was thanks to Fedex Tim. (south of Caribou Lake, somewhere around Moosehorn Lake) I think I finally found that on a plat map though a google search since none of my maps had it listed. Hmm, never checked my Alaska Atlas...
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Looks like a great place. We need to remember to drop a few dollars at the remote places. Otherwise, they won't be there when we need them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bgreen View Post
    I finally made it to the CCL Lodge (Coles Clean Living) The waypoint is N59.87965 W151.09056. Its just a bit to the south west of Moose Horn Lake. There is a very clean bar down stairs and a nice dining area upstairs. Prices were reasonable and the service was good, Justin and Kasie Cole were nice and friendly. Its been a while since we had a place to stop in for a warm lunch, I hope we get some more snow, I'd like to get back there a couple more times this year. Their hours are 11am - 7pm. They do have fuel, or at least will in the future, and they are planning on building some cabins this summer.

Hey, I appreciate the plug for Justin and Kasey... Great people and I'm really glad they're on their way. It's been a long road, and I'm glad I could help getting the lodge going (in very small ways- at least the satellite dish is aimed right )

The only favor I could ask from anyone else visiting the lodge... please stay on the trail that Justin grooms in and out of the lodge when you're in the immediate area. All of the land surrounding the lodge is private property, and Justin had a heck of a time getting his business license due to concerns from the neighbors. I have a cabin within about 1/4 mile from the lodge, and the end of the trail is my driveway. I've had a significant amount of traffic in my yard recently, and while it is so far innocent mistakes, and nice people just needing directions, it is still a bit of an intrusion and concern as my cabin has been broken into once already.

No disrespect or offense intended to any of the Lodge customers, as Justin is a good friend of mine, and I'm really glad the Lodge is there, but I just ask that the privacy of his neighbors (most are more crabby than me- and have caused Justin problems) be respected.

Thanks!

Also, Beaver Nelson (Mr. Nelson earlier in the thread) was referring to 40 second lake It's just below CCL- CCL is about halfway between 40 sec. lake and Moosehorn Lake.

40 Second Lake is pretty hard to see unless you're familiar with the area, it's on the downhill side when you're on the trail from CCL to Caribou Lake.

If there are trail and property concerns, then the lodge needs to be sure to mark the trail so that visitors, especially those unfamiliar with the area, can find their way in and out. Put up some signs. CCL should get the CHCH to publish something in their newsletter about this issue to let the club membership know. And they would also be well advised to post a map inside their establishment so that when people do find their way in, they can have a look at the private property and trail issues before leaving so they don't try to depart in the wrong direction.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    If there are trail and property concerns, then the lodge needs to be sure to mark the trail so that visitors, especially those unfamiliar with the area, can find their way in and out. Put up some signs. CCL should get the CHCH to publish something in their newsletter about this issue to let the club membership know. And they would also be well advised to post a map inside their establishment so that when people do find their way in, they can have a look at the private property and trail issues before leaving so they don't try to depart in the wrong direction.
    I agree, a simple website with these things would be great too, though I am sure they are busy, and doing everything they can at the moment. The surrounding property owners should take some measures to post their property as well, a few signs at the natural access points to their propery would go a really long way. You wont be able to keep all the people out, but a sign is all it takes for me to turn around and find another way.

I agree with both of you... Since they just opened Dec 19th, I wanted to wait a while to see what the traffic would be like.

I'm really hesitant to put up No Trespassing signs though. For such a friendly neighborhood, it seems kind of rude. Also, many (kids in the area) see No Trespassing signs as kind of a challenge. Also, I can't legally post the trail before it gets to my property, since it's a borough platted road.

Justin and Kasey sure have been busy, and not able to perfect the operation yet, but they're working on it.

...then try using a small, unobtrusive "private property" sign instead. Just put it at the point where the trail enters your property and folks will be "informed" about the layout. You don't have to put up a big "no trespassing" sign when all you're trying to do is demonstrate to the public where your property line is.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Anyone going to the hills this weekend? If they do, and they end up going to the lodge, and they have a Garmin gps, if they save their track, I will combine it with mine so we can develop and publish a trail map.

Signs have been put up, look for the pink writing. There are signs on the west side of Caribou Lake and also signs on the mile long swamp coming in from the Homer side. They also have a sight on facebook under CCL Lodge. Heard that all the trails leading into them are groomed.