Thread: .356 Winchester loads

Default .356 Winchester loads

Speer manual says 49.5 grains of W748 is max load for 220 grain bullet. The powder fills the case to halfway up the neck but the manual does not say it is a compressed load. Some internet sites say 42.1 grains W748 is max load for the 220's. Any one have experience with this cartridge? Any other powders work well with this cartridge?

Default Hogdon

Since Hogdon is the Manufacturer of this powder (W748), I believe I would start with their load and work up to "THE LOAD" that is acceptable in my rifle with the components you intend to use.
    Speers load may be within pressure limits of it's test equipment but Speer also suggest you start at 10% below the max load and work up to the max load or until you see pressure signs. Bullet seating depth can change chamber pressures as well, so measure your COL and use it as a standard while working up loads.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Starting at max?

So, have you started at a lower load and worked up? It isn't suggested to start at the max load as, for your gun, it may be over maximum. You asked about other powders. In most manuals they show the most efficient powders first, less powder for better velocities, but always start with the beginning loads.

Brav01,
    Thanks for the speedy response. I did start at 45.5 grains (10% less) and worked up to 49.5 1 grain at a time. When I got to 47.5 grains I noticed that the powder was 1/2 way up the neck. (compressed load?) But no where did the manual say that. I triple checked the powder charge on a RCBS digital scale. Hogdon says 42.1 grains is the max load for this powder/bullet combo. Needless to say this extreme spread concerned me. I pulled all the bullets and started the loads at 10% under 42.1 grains and will shoot them next week. I am not an experienced reloader and I didn't want my first work up on this load to be something worthy of a you tube video. . Thanks for the advice. I will post the results next week.

Default Right On

Quote Originally Posted by maksmith View Post
    Brav01,
    Thanks for the speedy response. I did start at 45.5 grains (10% less) and worked up to 49.5 1 grain at a time. When I got to 47.5 grains I noticed that the powder was 1/2 way up the neck. (compressed load?) But no where did the manual say that. I triple checked the powder charge on a RCBS digital scale. Hogdon says 42.1 grains is the max load for this powder/bullet combo. Needless to say this extreme spread concerned me. I pulled all the bullets and started the loads at 10% under 42.1 grains and will shoot them next week. I am not an experienced reloader and I didn't want my first work up on this load to be something worthy of a you tube video. . Thanks for the advice. I will post the results next week.
    That seems like a sound and logical line of thought ! As you're not needing to load more than say 9-10 rounds per load. It should be a simple process to locate what is your rifles max load. If you are testing your loads outdoors at this time of year you might consider that loading data is designed for a WIDE range of temps and pressures may increase slightly as temps warm; -40 to 70 or 75 degree is a 100* plus variance. Also for future reference powders vary from Lot to LOT. There is a Lot # on the bottom of the can or canister. When you change powder lots back off a couple of grains from your new-found load and work back toward that magic # you've already reached.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Good solid advice!!! I knew posting here would be beneficial.
    Thank You again.

I have a 356 win that I reload for and as soon as I have time I will look and see what my load data is. I shoot the 220grn Speer Flatnose out of mine. What a sweet little gun.