Thread: Anyone seen any 6.5mm rubber bullets?

Default Anyone seen any 6.5mm rubber bullets?

Thinking about making some primer only indoor rounds for the 6.5 Swedes, Anyone seen anything that is close to 6.5mm (.264) that is made of hard rubber or soft plastic??
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

You could always use candle wax in your lead bullet molds...

I used to just stick my primed 38 special cases through a block of canning wax. They shot well in the basement when mom and dad weren't home. I don't know how they'd hold up to a rifle primer and the extra bbl length, but candle wax is a bit harder and might make the trip down the bore relatively intact. If nothing else, it's a neat experiment if you've got the necessary equipment.
    Last edited by Diesel Nut; 12-15-2009 at 21:42. Reason: Add info

I tried it. It works ok in pistols but the 29 inch barrel on the rifles quickly become clogged with wax.

Default the swedes made wood bullets for 6.5 mauser

you can get surplus 6.5 wood bullets from either cheaper than dirt or sportsmans guide - one of them magazines had them for sale.
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great

Hmm, I wonder if you could use a bullet mold to mold some from automotive high temp RTV silicone. They should be about indestructible at primer only speeds and easy to find in yellow, orange, or blue. Drawbacks would be 24 hour cure time and finding a working mold release agent without running the mold, bees wax maybe.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default 6.5

The 6.5 Swede was loaded with a 9 grn brass cupped projectile at velocities that were pretty high. These were used for military indoor qualification and practice. They make about the same noise and power as a 22 LR when fired. There were 1600 rounds of this ammo packed loose in a wooden crate. It is fantabulus for rabbit hunting with a Swede. GET SOME !!
    The wooden bullets were designed as blanks and used a shredder device to destroy the bullet as it exited the mizzle, this way they operated the semi-auto Ljungman rifles .
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

http://www.samcoglobal.com/Ammunition.html

Sorry the wax didn't work, but thanks for letting us know. Would this ammo meet your needs?

Cut some wadcutters from delrin rod on a lathe.

I found a bunch of erasers for mechanical pencils and believe it or not, they are the perfect size.

I need to test them but my wife won't let me shoot anymore across the living and dinning rooms...

I will try some dwon at the hanger this week...

Default Try this

If you have a mold for your rifle try casting using a hot glue gun. The glue takes longer to harden and you have to use a release agent but it makes very good indoor bullet.

I'm curious as to what you are aiming to accomplish with this...

Of course be aware that the erasers are abrasive to a degree, thats why they work as erasers. Extensive use may wear the barrel excessively, but in the other hand, maybe they'll "lap" it as well. Just a thought.

It works, but need to play around with different projectile lengths to see which works better. Also made some out of wood doweling and hard wood furniture pegs. Made a bullet trap / target frame from a wood box with old wool army blanket pieces piled up inside. Projectiles have been reusable so far.

I'm curious as to what you are aiming to accomplish with this..
    1. Fighting Winter nights boredom.
    2. Let younger grandchildren practice rifle firing and sighting without noise, recoil, need for a real backstop or frostbite.
    3. Why not?

FP, I totally understand #3, but missed in the first post where these are primer only cases. Basically you are just launching erasers powered by a primer? How does this compare with a pellet gun?

The two pellet rifles I have are rather high velocity 1150 fps and the pellets are not reuseable, although they are cheap. Probably cheaper than primers.

So far the wood plugs and erasers will go through a paper target at 50-60 feet and land in the blanket shreads without damage. I have re-used a few of them 3 times now.
    I modified a few rounds of brass by drilling the flash hole much larger. This keeps the primer from backing out. Just poke out the primers with a punch and re-prime with a hand primer. The case does not need to be resized.

My pellet rifles are single shot with a long cocking action which is a pain for some of the kids and smaller women. This goofy set up lets them use a regular bolt action and cycle rounds just like a regular cartridge. At least so far...
    There is a cap-gun like noise and the need to eject and cycle the action.
    They can run out the front door, fire 10 shots a piece and then head back into the house to warm up..

Basically a like a sub caliber training insert...

Some far the best I can do is a 1 inch group at 60 feet. I am getting some yawing and tumbling.
    Oh well,, what the heck..
    These were primers from 1973 anyway and $5 worth of projectile materials. Plus it gives me a use for worn out brass.