Thread: Blacktail Hunt

Default Blacktail Hunt

Here are some pics from a blacktail hunt I did a few years ago now. my friend posted them on other sites in the past. I haven't been able to hunt AK for the past couple years but need to!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default first buck

this was my first fly in hunt so it was neat to watch the plane fly away.

we set up base camp, then with the last hour of light set out to look around. We actually ran into a small forky buck. It passed 15 yds by us. this was a bow hunt, and this was the first sitka I have ever seen. I was tempted to shoot the buck, so close to camp, but decided I had plenty of time left.

The next morning my buddy stuck his head out the tent, then went back into his bag! the fog had come in, and he said he had been fogged out before on hunts and it would be a wast of time to hunt. By afternoon I was going crazy in the tent. I told him I was heading out. I took my gps to be sure to find my way back. Visibility was about 40-60 yards so I figured If I ran into a deer I could shoot it. I ran into a doe and a couple fawns right away. I hiked up to some areas that looked good on a map just to see. I bumped a deer out of a bed but never got a look at it in the fog.

I was then heading into a draw when a buck materialized out of the fog at the bottom, about 60 yds. I slid down half way and drew my bow. I released and watched as I blew the shot! the buck ran and i was mad. At least I did run into a buck. I followed the trail the buck took. It was late afternoon but the fog started to lift. A Buck popped up 40 yds above me! This time I took my time as I drew and aimed. The arrow flew perfect and I watch the buck kick. He ran hard, spooking up 3 more deer as he ran. He crossed the draw and I watched as he started downhill, then slid.. I had my first sitka blacktail! He was bigger then the one I just missed too. a good 2x3 buck with good mass and eyeguards.

I was stoked. I was about a mile from camp, and I had left my pack in the tent since I didn't think I would get anything. I hiked back and told my buddy. He didn't believe me until I showed the bloody arrow. I went all the back to the buck and then back to camp. I ran into another wide 2x2 on the final load back, but he was smaller and I was tired, and it was getting dark. things looked good for the rest of the hunt! I'll have to post more later.

Default Non-Typical!

The next day was foggy all morning but cleared up by the afternoon. I headed out with my friend to see if we could get him a buck. We had some chances but couldn't close the deal. We then decided to head out a different direction the next day and try a spike camp.

We headed up another valley and were into deer. we glassed over a couple of nice bucks but didn't put chase after them since the wind was wrong. we got to another ridge top and started to glass. We decided to wait on setting up spike camp depending if we got into deer. I spotted a decent buck and put a stalk on. The wind was bad and I never had a chance. We then spotted a couple bucks bedded across a small valley.

My friend looked through his spotting scope and said, one is OK. But he thought it was too small for him to go after. I took a look through the scope and said its good enough for me. we looked over the area and figured I had a good chance to get right under them. They were bedded on a little bench with a small ravine in front. my friend stayed back a videoed through the scope. As I headed out he said, that buck looks like he has some extras on his left. I said ok.

The stalk went perfect. I crossed the valley above the bucks, then came down the side out of view. I then crawled up the ravine that was just infront. I slowly peaked over the edge and saw a buck. It was only 20 yds bedded. I looked at its rack and it looked smaller, and no extras. I ducked back down and back tracked 10 yds then looked over. I then spotted the bigger buck, about 22 yds away. I knocked an arrow and slowly rose. I was at full draw when the buck turned. I released the arrow and watched the buck jump from his bed as my arrow passed through! He ran out of my sight but my friend signaled that he could still see it. We gave him some time and finally I got to see it up close. It was bigger than I expected!

Man, that is one beautiful buck! I love Sitkas in velvet, and those irregular points are very cool. I think I'd have to pony up the cost and get something that unique mounted.

Thanks for sharing!

Default nt

Here are a couple more pics of the buck. this is why I want to go back.

Wow, he's got a little drop tine there. Pretty unique buck!!

Default Nice

I agree, I would have to get a shoulder mount on that guy. What a conversation piece for the den. Thanks for sharing.
    Bob

Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

Thumbs up

Those are some great pictures and sweet bucks!
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Default Last buck

We put up a spike camp near where I shot the last buck. early the next day I pack my buck back to base camp a few miles away. my friend was going to hunt further out and we would meet back at spike camp that night.

that afternoon I took a different route towards spike camp that would put me over a couple of good looking valleys. I glassed a couple of small draws with no deer. I finally cam to a deep valley and I could already see deer down the slope. I made my way to the edge and started to glass. I could see a nice buck in the group and was trying to figure out a stalk.

I then noticed some movement on the ridge below me. Deer! I put my binos on them and saw 2 bucks and a doe working up the ridge towards me. I backed away from the edge and tried to find some cover, but there wasn't much right there. I hunkered down and watched as they continued right towards me. The last buck was decent, slightly on the wide side and I debated if I should try to use my last tag. I know with bowhunting nothing is for sure so I decided if I had a shot I should take it.

The deer were 100yds, then 50 then 30, 20! the doe passed by at 10 yards! the small buck was next, I was at full draw. When the last buck past 20 I thought what am I waiting for.. then released. The buck kicked and backtracked over the ridge out of sight. The shot looked perfect. I waited the time and walked over the ridge. I found him 50yds down the slope!

That's a BIG forky!!!

Man I love those summer Kodiak hunts. Can't wait to get back
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default very nice

nice story to go along with some wonderful pictures. Thanks for sharing it with us. Did you decide to get that one mounted?