Thread: Ruger #1 Metal Work

Default Ruger #1 Metal Work

A couple of weeks ago I commented (in the "98 Mauser Work" thread) on some metal work that Ed LaPour did for me on a Ruger #1, and a couple of you indicated that you would like to see some pictures. First, let me apologize for the pictures. They were taken over the course of the last year or so, so that I would have something to send for the potential engraver to look at. Anyway, the rifle is now at the engraver so I can't take any new pictures until it returns.

This rifle started out life as a Ruger #3, 45-70. Two years ago I sent the action to Mark Stratton to have the 1/2 round, 1/2 octagon barrel installed, which one of his specialities. Mark also did the custom Talley mounts. Well, Mark was working through some very difficult personal issues, and it took forever to get it back from him.

Ed had previously done some extensive work on a Model 54 Winchester for me, so I then sent it off to Ed and asked him to do the barrel band swivel base, reshape the under lever (based on some pictures I sent him), install the Keplinger set trigger, install a new thru bolt, mill the side plates and mill the top tang and manufacture a custom safety lever.

When it was complete Ed asked me and said that he really liked the safety lever design and asked if he could use it on future Ruger projects. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of it and will have to post those when the metal comes back.

I'll post a couple more pictures following this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Ruger #1 Metal Work--Part 2

When I got the metal back from Ed, last fall, I got started on the stock so that I could start working on loads over the summer (before sending it to the engraver). I shot the rifle (forgot to mention that it is .204 caliber), while in the "white" all summer, and recently consigned the engraving to Jerome Glimm, and sent it to him about a month ago. In the meantime, I have finished the stock and am just getting started on the checkering.

Jerome is going to do a little bit of English Scroll on the side plates, and sides of the under lever. He is going to put a border around the Talley rings and will engrave the caliber on the barrel. Additionally, he is going to put a border around the steel buttplate, and engrave an lynx in a small oval on the butt.

When he is done it will sent to be blued. The action, under lever, and scope rings will be a "french grey", and the barrel, safety button and trigger will be rust blued.

Default Ruger #1 Metal Work--Part 3

The wood is a piece of California English that I picked up down there about 10 years ago.

If interested, I can post more pictures as the project moves along. I'm hoping to get it finished this winter, as I do most of my rifle work in the winter so that I can play in the summer.

Thats a very nice stump you got glued to that rifle. The lever gives me some ideas. Wonderfull rifle to have if only to rub the wood while watching T.V.

Thumbs up

That is one beautiful #1! Please keep us updated as your project comes along.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Default Thanks!

Thanks for posting the pictures. We'll look forward to seeing the pictures of the finished gun.

The use of a No. 3 action is interesting. I had forgotten that they have some extra something to hold the lever closed where the No. 1 action latches onto the trigger guard. I'll have to research the difference in the internals.

Did you actually have the sides of the action milled or surface ground? A surface grinder would normally be used to make the side of the receiver including the screw heads perfectly flat and parallel. The early No. 1 receivers appear to have been surface ground as do as the sides of the sight rib and they do look nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by Riflemaker View Post
    A couple of weeks ago I commented (in the "98 Mauser Work" thread) on some metal work that Ed LaPour did for me on a Ruger #1, and a couple of you indicated that you would like to see some pictures. First, let me apologize for the pictures. They were taken over the course of the last year or so, so that I would have something to send for the potential engraver to look at. Anyway, the rifle is now at the engraver so I can't take any new pictures until it returns.

This rifle started out life as a Ruger #3, 45-70. Two years ago I sent the action to Mark Stratton to have the 1/2 round, 1/2 octagon barrel installed, which one of his specialities. Mark also did the custom Talley mounts. Well, Mark was working through some very difficult personal issues, and it took forever to get it back from him.

Ed had previously done some extensive work on a Model 54 Winchester for me, so I then sent it off to Ed and asked him to do the barrel band swivel base, reshape the under lever (based on some pictures I sent him), install the Keplinger set trigger, install a new thru bolt, mill the side plates and mill the top tang and manufacture a custom safety lever.

When it was complete Ed asked me and said that he really liked the safety lever design and asked if he could use it on future Ruger projects. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of it and will have to post those when the metal comes back.

I'll post a couple more pictures following this one.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Same exact gun except for the stock shape,half rib and lever and all will interchange. bill wanted to make a #2 but it never hit the market except for the Creedmore commemorative kinda

Default You've got my attention

Very nice indeed and details + pics are appreciated. I currently own two Number 1's and would love to "help them mature a little" with the help of the right gunsmith.

Ed

Default Something different

I thought they were all the same also until I remebered that the No. 3 does not have a latch on the lever like a No. 1 - the lever is held in position by a spring loaded latch and spring. I'm not sure where the detend is that it latches into - it appears it is on the bottom of the block raceway. The instruction manual for the No. 3 shows the parts but not exactly how it all works.

Personally I like the lever assembly on the No.1. If someone wanted to change the shape and get rid of the latch it could be done be done by fitting the latch and plunger to the No. 1 lever it would appear.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Same exact gun except for the stock shape,half rib and lever and all will interchange. bill wanted to make a #2 but it never hit the market except for the Creedmore commemorative kinda
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

The levers will swap stright across. The difference is the release built into the #1's lever makeing the cocking some lighter to get started

Very nice, thanks for sharing. Love the Neider buttplate. Would love to see the checkering/finishing as you go. I am getting into stockmaking myself, and though Ive done some checkering and re-finishing in the past, its nice to see others work and get ideas.

Default Latch Plunger

The No. 3 has a spring loaded plunger built into the lever to keep it place esp. when the rifle is cocked - the latch does this on the No. 1. Otherwise the lever would just simply fall down out of place. On other falling blocks like the high wall the lever is held in place by the mainspring if I recall correctly.

The plunger is identifed as part no. SC-41 in the Ruger manual: http://www.ruger.com/products/_manuals/no3.pdf

I would assume Ruger made the parts interchangeable but it appears the receiver of the No. 3 would need some sort of detent for the plunger to seat into - I'll have to check on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    The levers will swap stright across. The difference is the release built into the #1's lever makeing the cocking some lighter to get started

i really like your project gun and the cosmetics. the thought of french-grey and rust blue will make an excellent combination. the single shot rifle is one of the most artistic, desireable actions extent.

i have owned several number 1's and usually find reason to sell them. the trigger, locktime, or accuracy, seems to be the general culpret.

success and happiness with your rifle.

jh
    happy trails.
    jh