Thread: Flashers should come with a warning....

Red face Flashers should come with a warning....

You guys failed to tell me how addicting these things are! There must be secret messages in those flashing colored lights because I've been obsessed with the stupid thing! I hardly use my camera anymore. How can anything that simple be so addictive. Thanks.....uhh I think.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanassasin View Post
    You guys failed to tell me how addicting these things are! There must be secret messages in those flashing colored lights because I've been obsessed with the stupid thing! I hardly use my camera anymore. How can anything that simple be so addictive. Thanks.....uhh I think.

what r these flashers you speak of?
    Semper Fi!

It's like being born blind and then being able to see.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Grey,

They've been around for years...we used to use them for walleyes back in the day. Look up Marcum or Vexilar and you'll see what we're talking about. They are real time fish finders. They are sensitive enough you can see a bubble coming up off the bottom....a swivel in 100 feet of water and distinguish it between that and your rig. Fish chasing bait, fish chasing your bait (as long as it's in the cone).

It's not far off of a lcd screen, where the right side is real time though the screen is MUCH slower. With a flasher you can see a fish, move your rig to that specific fish and see how they react to it.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanassasin View Post
    ......hypMOtized

looks like its just a sonar depth gauge.. you dont see fish shapes you just see a red light move on a depth range from what i was seeing on the website.
    Semper Fi!

yup they show up as a dash of line at a certain depth, depending on how close to the cernter of the cone they are, the different color (on ine anyways) they show up.

Once you've fished with one, you'll immediatly see their value.

When I first bought mine I was able to find fish without ever drilling a hole, or atleast find the structure I wanted to fish. You'll need a little water and a clear spot on the ice. Turn the gain up quit a bit and you'll read the bottom. Depending on the ice. It's extremely hard to distinguish bottom when reading THROUGH the ice in really shallow water. And if the ice is really bad it makes it harder, but not impossible!

It's also real time..so when a fish goes through and that little mark shows up....you'll reel your mark up or drop it down to that fish and you can see what their reaction is. Are they passive, are they hot but not hitting..etc etc....

They aint cheap but main alive I wouldnt fish without mine again. Once you see a fish charge vertically through the water colum 60 or 80 feet and hammer your rig, or you notice one come in above you and you reel up and hammer them, you'll be sold!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    looks like its just a sonar depth gauge.. you dont see fish shapes you just see a red light move on a depth range from what i was seeing on the website.
    If you have one and know how to use it, it's more than just a red light.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Wink

Yup, it's the speed at which they operate that has me addicted. Well that and the flashy lights......
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    If you have one and know how to use it, it's more than just a red light.

Yep, mine has green and yellow lights too!!!!!

small fish, (like a sculpin) thin green line, bigger fish, small green line with orange edges, decent fish, orange, biggest fish- solid red!

Default New Technology?

Not really. I grew up using a Lowrance flasher while chasing salmon and lakers in Algoma, Kewanee and Sturgeon Bay Wisconsin. They are the most basic form of fish finder out there and work off size and density of an object. Nothing fancy, just basic sonar technology. We used to take it out on the ice during the winter, pour some coffee on the ice and check depth before we would drill.

Interesting how they have come full circle and are becoming popular again. The prices are outrageous though.

What will a flasher tell you about the bottom or the thermocline?

A flasher will give you depth and let you know if there are fish holding in an area, they will make you much more successfull in your ice fishing. They are not as fancy as the other sonars on the market that have gps and other gagets. The flashers are realtime and wont freeze up in the cold, the pricerange for them is anywhere from about 300 to 600 bucks.

As far as thermocline is concerned it wont tell you anything but, then the lake is iced over the thermocline doesnt move (given that the lake is deep enough), you should be able to tell where the cline is by the depth the fish are holding.

Other than depth, will a flasher tell me if it is a muddy bottom or a rocky bottom?

Will it show a ridge or a drop off?

Sorry to play 100 questions.... thanks for the replies.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    Other than depth, will a flasher tell me if it is a muddy bottom or a rocky bottom?

Will it show a ridge or a drop off?

Sorry to play 100 questions.... thanks for the replies.
    Mike
    A flasher will tell you how hard the bottom is based on how thick the bottom reading band is. The thicker the band the harder the bottom is. It's definitely easier to tell when you are using a flasher in a boat. This is because you will be moving over transition areas (hard to soft) and the band will moving accordingly.
    Since you are basically stationary when ice fishing it makes it harder to determine this but through time you will be able to figure this out.

As far as ridge or drop off is concerned.....if you're sitting on ten feet of water and you walk over a few steps and take another reading and it's forty feet, you are on a drop off

Another indicator of how hard the bottom is is a double echo. Let's say you're sitting in ten feet of water. If the bottom is soft (your gain is set to more or less a normal setting) you will only have a band at 10 feet. If the bottom is hard not only will you have a band at 10 feet you will have a second band at 20 feet. This second band is more faint than the actual bottom but it will be there. This double echo will always be twice what the actual depth will be. If you're in 30 feet the echo will be at 60 feet, etc. etc.