Thread: Big Salmon On Ice

Default Big Salmon On Ice

Hi guys,

New to this forum and really enjoy all the great information. Learned a lot so far. My question is, has anyone here ever caught a salmon while ice fishing? I don't mean the landlocked kind but ocean run. Happened to a friend of mine some years ago while jigging for char on Big Lake. He ended up pulling a 7 lb sockeye through the hole. This was in November. He looked thru the hole and saw a whole school of big salmon pass by.

Thanks and keep up the great posts!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by kimjn View Post
    Hi guys,

New to this forum and really enjoy all the great information. Learned a lot so far. My question is, has anyone here ever caught a salmon while ice fishing? I don't mean the landlocked kind but ocean run. Happened to a friend of mine some years ago while jigging for char on Big Lake. He ended up pulling a 7 lb sockeye through the hole. This was in November. He looked thru the hole and saw a whole school of big salmon pass by.

Thanks and keep up the great posts!

Yup, that happens. I was fishing near dark one day and everyone left that were fishing around me when I hooked a big old purple green headed monster on a swedish pimple. He crushed it! He was dead and just didn't know it yet (I mean rotten tail and all) but he fought hard and he was BIG. It was still fun. Of course everyone had just left so only I know it happened...
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Wink

I forgot the best part. There was one little boy with his face pressed out the window of his cabin who saw, and you should have seen his little eyes get HUGE when he saw the fish I caught then even bigger when I dropped it back down the hole! I'll always remember that..... good stuff
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Default I knew a guy on the Nushagak...

... who caught a silver with a NET under the ice. He said it was bright.
    I knew another guy from Aleknagik who ice-fished a small king on a lake hooked to Lake Nerka. I never saw either fish, but both guys were credible older guys, and both were commercial fishermen who knew their species.

Default Wow, that is bizzare...

hooking a king while ice fishing in middle of winter! Can't imagine what it would be like to be out there expecting trout and ending up with a big salmon instead.

My friend at Big Lake said the salmon he caught was really red with a bright green head. He put it back in the hole as it looked ready to spawn. Most all of the other fish in the school he saw were also colored up except for a couple that looked sort of pinkish silver. They all, about a dozen of them just cruised by a couple of times and then disappeared. Didn't see them again that trip or later.

OK, thanks for sharing!

Default silvers

there is a little lake in the swanson river area that you had to wait for the silvers to get done spawning and die before you could even think about getting a chance to catch a rainbow. It took a couple trips and a bigger ice auger before we figured out that they were silvers. We thought for a while we stumbled into a lake full of 10 pound plus rainbows till the first silver came up through the hole.

years a go we had a cold snap the first part of October here in Anchorage and there where reports of people catching silvers in University lake wile ice fishing cant say that i ever saw them though. Seams to me if you drilled a hole on Kenai lake near the out let you might catch a silver