Thread: BONING OUT MOOSE in the field

Default BONING OUT MOOSE in the field

I am curious what other people think about boning moose in the field, It seems to me that after it sits in game bags for a week to 10 days you would loose a lot of meat when processing

Aside from the rib meat yes, when boning you have much more exposed meat area that will have to be trimmed off later.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Big Fan...

Of leaving it on the bone...easier to carry... less exposed nooks and crannies for flies and dirt...easier to carry... hangs better for an extended amount of time...easier to carry...less exposure and trimming once you get it out of the field...easier to carry...less messy...easier to carry...gets the meat on the pole faster...easier to carry...cuts are done better when it is done in a controlled environment...easier to carry.

Unless I could set up a butcher station right next to the carcass, including a flat table, wrapping equipment and a freezer...I will always go for leaving it on the bone...and it's easier to carry.

Unless the temperatures are below freezing you will loose over 50% of your meat; it takes a person with extraordinary care and experience to keep your meat loss low above freezing. Meat needs to stay on the bone if you can not get it to a freezer in a week or 10 days. You may find my last post on skinning a moose helpful.

meat loss on boned meat is higher than on whole quarters, regardless of the time frame.
    that is why many areas of the state are by law bone-in until out of the field.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Question didn't I read somewhere

That you can't bone moose in 14 because of too much meat left in the field?
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Don't let it sit for that long. Simple as that. Boning is best reserved for the best circumstances.

In 2006 I had to bone out a moose per instructions from the air taxi I was using. Weather forcasts for that night and the rest of the week were for freezing temps. I had a sat phone and knew a meat pickup would be quick. I also knew that there was a freezer at the other end and my meat would be properly taken care of. Meat was limited to 50# per bag and I used pillow cases for game bags, which worked perfect. I didn't lose any meat at all and the trimmings were fine in burger. If the weather hadn't been what it was, I would have started boning as soon as I confirmed it's arrival time. The other option is to hang on the bone to cool, bone out, and then sink the meat in waterproof bags in COLD water. Friends have kept caribou this way for many days without meat loss.

I boned out a deer on Kodiak in August once because I had a cooler, ziplock bags, and available snow and ice nearby.

The only other time I would bone out would be on a road system hunt that I knew I was getting home quickly. Boning out, when legal, makes packing meat much easier and fewer trips. You just need to know when it will work and when it won't.

I would never bone out on a float trip or a long boat trip.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

When we hunted area 13 we boned out every moose we shot, put the meat in game bags weighing about 50-60 pounds each and hung the meat in trees under a blue tarp. Generally the temperatures could range from 55 during the day to 10F at night. The majority of the hunts the meat was in game bags for 7-9 days before it hit the processor.

Don't think we suffered any unusual loses and I am very picky with meat as I have several decades of experience of inspecting meat for the goverment.

Last few years we hunted the Koyukuk area where the meat must remain on the bone. I can't see where one method is any better than the other. If I had my choice would bone every animal we shot.

Steak houses will sometimes age beef for up to 60 days after they receive it. It's all in how it is handled from the point of kill on forward.

When deer hunting on Kodiak we bone out every deer where it drops and hang the bagged meat in trees. Sometimes 10 days have elasped from kill to drop off to the processor. No loss that I can tell.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    That you can't bone moose in 14 because of too much meat left in the field?
    Moose in virtually all of road Alaska has to be left on the bone for transport from the field for this very reason. In most areas you are also required to take the meat organs as well.........be sure you know the regs before you head out!

Yummmmmm liver sausage!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default I've boned out

many a moose and yes, the colder it is the better. Best thing you can do is leave meat on bone, but fly out hunts and distances packed can make boned out meat a better thing for the hunter. I have been fortunate that all the times I've bone it out, the weather was COLD and it froze or we fly out within a couple of days.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Moose in virtually all of road Alaska has to be left on the bone for transport from the field for this very reason. In most areas you are also required to take the meat organs as well.........be sure you know the regs before you head out!

Yummmmmm liver sausage!
    REmind me to haul some down to ya we have a few... er. 116lbs of it
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Seriously? I'd gladly take some of that liver off your hands! Provided it's in good condition.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

We won't even skin a moose in the field unless it's warm out- just quarter it, or even halve it, throw it in the wheeler trailers, and get it hanging ASAP. Keeps the meat cleaner, and that increases the total yield.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Seriously? I'd gladly take some of that liver off your hands! Provided it's in good condition.
    liver sausage....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

We do both boned and "whole". For handling prefer unboned - just look at some of the pictures of some of the unboned, crusted or crusting hanging meat! - truly will make one "drool"! If we bone pieces like the ham are still in one piece with the pelvic and femur removed, rib meat in one large sheet (each side); neck two large pieces; shoulder on piece minus shank meat back straps and tenderloins stripped -NO mystery meat!
    Joe (Ak)